Red Dragon by Vivian Galad - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - modified

Vivian,  wouldn't it be to much work - first cutting the sails and then sewing them together again? (beware - we men are not so good in sewing/stitching).

What I did was simply stitch the sails every 1 cm so it looks like the sails are made of small straps, but in real they aren't (well: I must be honest - my mother did the stitching).

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Piet, some indonesian food recipes would be most apreciated - asian food is part of my everyday cooking. Don´t know if Indonesia would ship peppers as gifts for a bilateral commercial agreement on the early 1400´s, but who knows? It could be ^_^ . Thank you for your kind words and concrete on these rainny, hot spots of our world tend to quickly gain that look - too much lichens and fungi.

Hans, I could do that too, since the looks would be enough. I´ll do a test - thank you for the tip!! I´m not that master seamstress but can find myself well around needles, by the way :P.

Hi Vivan, I'll see what kind of Indo recipes you may like and PM you on it.  There are several mailorder places you can buy all the ingredients.  I'll send a few as well.  They ship anywhere in the world.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello again! Well, maybe I´ll get more updates as I enter the final laps. Here is the hole fix over the cabin and the switch for my cabin´s lighting. I made a step by step on the fixing/lighting as I´m proud to have done it. I know it´s not the greatest of executions or the best mechanism I could´ve used, but those hours spent on science fairs at school weren´t wasted. :D :D

post-8919-0-62921500-1412124338_thumb.jpg

First picture shows the led with a circuit board - I used the led from a garden beacon with a timer, so the battery wouldn´t be consumed when I forgot to turn it off.

post-8919-0-69309000-1412124343_thumb.jpg

This is my remade lantern - first version I used tin and painted paper. Replaced the painted paper for silk and better painted the tin frame.

post-8919-0-44137700-1412124353_thumb.jpg

Attached the lantern to the circuit board.

post-8919-0-71003400-1412124358_thumb.jpg

Cut two 2mm copper stripes from a copper foil and soldered them to the battery box.

post-8919-0-75364800-1412124368_thumb.jpg

Cut another 2mm copper stripes and soldered them to the circuit board.

post-8919-0-83192400-1412124373_thumb.jpg

Fixed the circuit board on its place (there was a hole for the lantern to be placed in the cabin) and glued the copper stripes parallel - that way the battery box could be placed and turned into the switch.

post-8919-0-85436100-1412124378_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-92122300-1412124383_thumb.jpg

After the eletronics were placed, used the same wood for deck planking to close the hole. Part of the stripes were left for the switch.

post-8919-0-05888800-1412124389_thumb.jpg

Hole closed, planking aged and battery box/switch placed - ligths on. I thought on replacing all the planks so that trapdoor look wouldn´t be there, but kinda liked the idea. Maybe I´ll fix some holder for it.

Next pictures shows the lighting effect.

post-8919-0-17208400-1412124400_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-02085100-1412124408_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-53349500-1412124412_thumb.jpg

Now, all for the rigging!!!!! :10_1_10:

Edited by Vivian Galad

I'm with Pops.  Excellent work, Vivian. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hola Mija,

Beautiful execution of the lighting. Pretty soon you will start building POF models after your next two kits. I can't wait for you to get there.

Raymond

Bravo Vivian, excellent work!  That "night time" picture is fantastic, very inviting.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank u Pops, Mark, Matti and Grant. ^_^

Thanks for every "like" everyone has clicked too ;) ;)

Hans, that remembers me when I was trying to build a medieval village on 1:50 scale with tavern/inn included - maybe that´s a call for some dioramas on my future. Makes me think on building a floating restaurant, too :P :P

Joe, that´s something to wait from all of my buildings, more and more. Thank you.

Carl, to answer properly, muito obrigada!!!

Raymond. I´m getting ready for some challenges soon. Next kits I´ll try to do more than one at the same time as I already am hoarding some POF material (both for reading as for building) - I´m anxious for fully scratching a ship. Ty for your words, amigo.

Piet, glad u liked :D !!

great update and repair!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I like the lights too. What a "bright" idea! :D

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hi Vivian,  such a beautiful build... I love the lights, they give a perfect mood... You can hear the sea on the shore, smell the salty wind, hmmm... some full moon - and you can almost come to a kind of romantic feelings :D

Serious again... Very nice model

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Ty, Popeye!

Thanks for your words, Edwin. ^_^

Yep, yep, yep, Jesse!! Thank you! ;)

Max, lighting is such an improvement to the ship that I think all of my next builds will have some (well, at least where cabins are present). Thank u and be visiting anytime u want.

So, I took some pictures from my latest efforts. Masts are rigged and waiting for sails. Main mast is a little bit too tensioned, as you can see. I don´t know if with sail on it will bring it to it´s rightful position or if I should release some tension before installing the sail - my fear is to let it go and have loose ropes on my model. Would be great to have some opinions in that.

post-8919-0-33520900-1412926635_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-66693600-1412926651_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-61796600-1412926662_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-42855100-1412926672_thumb.jpg

There are some few additions beyond sails, as the eyes on front rails and the painting on stern (I´ll make it as the kit´s decal don´t fit in my ship).

Vivian,

Well done so far !

Fore the tension of the main mast...just make it a little loose .

When you are putting sails on it, it will not help you to place the mast right.

And not all the ropes has to be that tight as a guitar string........

Keep on ging please  :D  :D

Sjors

Vivian: Great work, linda.

If you don't like the tension on the mast, by all means change it. Otherwise, It will haunt you every day. You will feel a lot better after you fix it. Believe me! That's something I've learned in this hobby.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Vivian,

Nice updates. Lighting is very cool. Love the interior bits as well (:-)

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

looks great with all her masts.........to my knowledge,  all mast should have the same rake {slant}.  it irks me a little to see that most instructions do not give the increment.  there are ships though,  earlier period,  that the fore mast has a different rake,  depending on the country that sailed her.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vivian.

I liked your rigging, did you have any problems i am just about to start on mine. Are you making sails for her

yet, i bought some Eygption sailcloth at Blackpool model boat show here in England i intend to use it for my

Red Dragon. Your build looks a lot differant to mine it is very interesting to compare our builds, please let

see pictures of the sails i look forward to seeing more of you lovely looking model.

My very best wishes. Janet.

Guys, thanks for the advise. I put the tension out, but the mast still seems a bit curved back, a lot better than before anyways. As I began two other projecst I gave this one a little pause.

Janet, I´ll use the kit´s sailcloth. At first I thought using other material but couldn´t see a real improvement on that. What I´ll do, though, is to cut and sewn cloth stripes so my sails won´t look so plain. My caravel (first wooden ship) came with pre-sewn sails and it looks good enough, but now when I look at it I think it would be better to sewn them myself, we learn as we model, that´s so true. Thank you for your kind words and I do find it great we can build the same kit and yet come out with so unique models. ^_^ ^_^

• 3 months later...

Hi Vivian.

Love the detail your ship is really looking the part,i have to keep my finger nails shortto do detail work but it is all part of the fun.

I find it hard to find all these details like you have added to your build,i like your working doors and i especially like the opening

hatch,great work keep it up.

My dearest regards Janet

• 8 months later...

Hi Vivian

Just had a look again at your build.

That is just some highly skilled work you are doing.

Wow I take my hat off to you.

You are a master builder Vivian.

Just fantastic.

Denis.

• 3 weeks later...

Janet,

I thank you very much, again, for your words.

Denis,

Loved to see a new comment on her. For the past few months life took hard on my way. It´s a honor to be seen like that, thank you.

I hope to post some new work in the next few days - Not only for the junk, but also my Oseberg. ^^