Red Dragon by Vivian Galad - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - modified

Doris, I´m always happy when u visit my post :wub: :wub: :wub: . I find it funny when you say you don´t work on wood, since you scratch so many parts of your ships on wood and know, from my heart, that when you get your hands over a fully wooden ship you´ll mesmerize us all the same. You´re some of the best ship modellers I know. Thank you.

Thanks for the info Vivian.  

I've got a "full-size" scroll saw (16" Craftsman) but it's really heavy.

I been looking for something more portable and sounds like this saw is just the ticket.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, hey, hey. Time for new pictures, some words and advices for the young at heart.

I took a pause from my ship since I was waiting for the Blacken It to arrive. As it arrived, I resumed my work. For using it the Blacken It Trials topic, by E&T was used. I did follow all the steps only replacing the muriatic acid by vinegar. I was about taking lots of pictures from the process, but, that is really unecessary since the Trials´ topic shows how it works so fine it would be a waste of time. But I do took a picture from a mistake I made...

post-8919-0-29206500-1409167011_thumb.jpg

That´s how I put the metal pieces on the solution. I tried to shake the solution from time to time, but my results weren´t that great - lot´s of parts were stained - instead of a flat darkened surface, I got a stripe stained one for most of the metal parts. Even if I liked that way it wasn´t my goal they look so. Next time I´ll dump lesser metal parts on blacken it solution for a consistent result.

Well, then I started on my ship´s hole, as it'll need some attention before rigging. I worked on taking out the planking around it so when I fix all the eletronics it´ll be easy to glue new planks over it. Now I´m waiting for some copper foil I bought to finish that part.

post-8919-0-13179200-1409167031_thumb.jpg

After that I coated a second layer of varnish on the hull and a first one over the rails and castle. That was a called step from the ship´s instructions some pages before, but I decided to postpone it while I was still using sharp tools around.

post-8919-0-87216300-1409167036_thumb.jpg

It was time for the rudder, then. I´m still thinking if I´ll set some brass stripes to it. Some old pictures shows rudders with no iron on them. Seems an obscure subject to build the rudder. So far, I followed the kit´s instructions.

post-8919-0-86298500-1409167041_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-86034000-1409167046_thumb.jpg

After the rudder I fixed all the metal fittings missing before. Cannons aren´t there yet cause I´ll paint them black - I tried blacken it on them, but didn´t like the results. The following pictures are from the fittings instalation and the ship´s general look so far.

post-8919-0-99314500-1409167051_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-99178000-1409167056_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-12110400-1409167062_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-24195300-1409167067_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-19566000-1409167072_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-31548600-1409167077_thumb.jpg

Next steps will be the lighting fix finish and rigging beginnings.

Looking good, Vivian.  I like the way you're building this ship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic work, Vivian. You have really captured the authentic look for your Junk. 

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hola linda!

Haven't visited your log in a while.  :blush:

Your build is truly an inspiration. Hard to believe it is your first.You are doing a job that I'm sure some of the experts here admire and envy!

I know I do although I'm not one of the "experts"  :)

Felicidades linda!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Mark, thank you. I´ve been researching a lot to put this ship some place in history (even if AL wasn´t that precise - this ship has many accuracy errors).

Pops, glad u still following ^_^

Joe - I´ll still give my tries with blacken it, don´t worry. By the way, copper can be blackened with it? Ty!!

Sjors, glad u passed by - can u give me some popcorn??? :P :P Thanks!

Grant, I´m trying. U guys give me a lot of inspiration.

Hey, Cap'. That´s the image I really want to pass.

Ulises, no te preocupes!! Working still on her and I think it´ll take some more. It is my first junk, but still my second wooden ship :D ! And I´m learning every single day with you all, since I´m here always, reading and following and absorbing all that I can. I´ll be a little bit presumptuous, though, as my goal is to be a master in the future :o . Obrigada, amigo.

Hi Vivian,

Great update.  The details are just terrific.  I love the hatch covers, doors and stairs.  I have had mixed results with "Blacken It" as well.  Keep up the beautiful work, you are on the downhill side now.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

your build looks really great with the added fittings.......I like the deck shot ;) once you finish the repairs to the aft deck, then there will be nothing to distract from it :) masting will be a huge step forward, it will be very interesting to see! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey, Jack. I´m feeling the "end is near" sensation on my ship. There is work to do, though and I´m happy for it. Thanks for visiting and I´ll keep working carefully on her. ;)

Popeye, thanks! I know I shouldn´t, but my main mast is already there :o ! Today I installed my cannons and the main mast, also worked on the switch mechanism for lighting the cabin (I´m trying to keep it simple). Problem is I wanted to have the outside lighting too, but I´m still thinking how to hide the wires - maybe only the cabin will have light. I´ll bring some pictures later. ^_^

Schnu, thanks ^_^ ! I´ll put some pictures as soon as I finish all the fix - but is basically a box that once turned, lights the cabin.

Brian, ty for visiting and for your words.

Vivian,

Great update. Love the shades you have used with the woods. All work beautifully together. Very impressive build of a not-so-often seen ship.

I've done a Google search, Yes, you are the only woman in Brasil building a model ships. (:-) (:-) 

Até logo

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael, my many thanks. I thought it to be (me as the only woman in the country to build model ships) - I entered some FB brazilian groups and there is only guys in there, basically building local ships or kits. It´s quite motivating to be the only one - or even the first one! :D

cya!

Hear ye! Hear ye! News from the realm!!

Vivian´s Chinese Junk got new fittings and it´s main mast - read all here!

So, as I said, main mast is installed. Some tackles for the rigging are there too - with some small modifications since AL instructions told me to do it differently. Let us go for the pictures.

post-8919-0-33929000-1409507908_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-55760300-1409507913_thumb.jpg

Cannons are there too. I was a little skeptical about cannons at first (since I want a ship from about 1420 - 30). Research helped me to decide keeping them - The first guns found in junks wrecks are dated between 1400 - 1420. Laws from 1530+ dictated trade ships could carry 4 mounted guns and an assortment of small guns, for example. As chinese ships were victims of Wako pirates long before, my ship should carry guns for protection from pirate attacks.

post-8919-0-27089700-1409507918_thumb.jpg

Fixed my anchor, too. I would prefer a different anchor, to be sincere - AL gave me a 2 armed anchor but most of the chinese junk depictions shows 4 armed anchors. As I didn´t find any works regarding the 15th century chinese anchors, I´ll stay with what I´ve got.

post-8919-0-06556200-1409507903_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-34224500-1409507923_thumb.jpg

And, last but not less important, my battery box for the lighting (part of the switch, too, since to light the cabin one just have to turn the box to one side)

post-8919-0-14368200-1409507872_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-06243700-1409507882_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-62272800-1409507892_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-30119300-1409507887_thumb.jpg[

Last picture shows where the box will be. Two copper stripes will be attached to the box botton. Two other stripes will be coming out from the hole fix - as I explained before, to turn on/off you only need to turn the box till it enchase with the copper stripes.

post-8919-0-85037900-1409507897_thumb.jpg

Looking great Vivian. Very neat trick with your light switch - one would never guess it was there. :)

Looking fantastic, Vivian.  I love that battery box/light switch combination.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have to follow the others.....

You are a clever girl !!!!!!!!

The only battery I use is in the mouse of my PC  :D  :D  :D  :D

And do you received the popcorn bowl ?????????

Sjors

Hola Mija,

I was just going over your latest progress and Bravo to you. I especially like the ships ladder attached to the port davit amidships. Would it be possible to take a few shots of the ships hold from different angles? I hope to see more of your build.

Tu Amigo,

Raymond

I want to thank you all, guys! I´m feeling clever reading your words ^_^ ^_^ !!

And, Sjors, I´ve got the popcorn. Yours are always the best!

looks great Vivian.........you must know the  'mother of invention'  very well ;)   congratz on the masting......sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch