112 ft Ketch 'Symphony' by Omega1234 - SMALL 1/200 scale (17cms or 7 inches long) Finished

Hi Patrick, she's sure coming together , and looking good

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

very.....very nice!  cockpit looks really good!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi folks

Thanks for all your comments and likes!!!

Here is the latest update: I've partially completed the oval cockpit at the stern of the ship. There's still more fairing and sanding to go, but, it's looking ok so far. Up forward, I've done the companionway hatch that sits right on the foredeck. If you look carefully, you'll be able to see that I've left the sliding hatch open in order to give the foredeck a semblance of 'life'.

Still heaps more work to go, though!

Enjoy your weekends!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-96529300-1434122935_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-33723500-1434122965_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-30859100-1434122985_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-11928900-1434123007_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-52699100-1434123028_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-21330700-1434123047_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-59054500-1434123068_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-13219700-1434123085_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-70399000-1434123102_thumb.jpg

She's looking better all the time.  You should be about ready for the cabin furnishings.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Good luck Patrick,

for seeking and finding a good pattern for that engine...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hey, making an engine for your sailboat - that sounds familiar! ;)

Yanmar's website has a bunch of information for their entire range of engines. Not sure what the engine in the original is, but at the scale you're working, the essence will probably be the same, as long as Yanmar has an engine with similar horsepower. That said, I'm sure you won't have any trouble with finding enough information; I just remembered that you did make engines for the Mystic motor cruiser, which turned out great! They actually reminded me of the engines we put into a 65' boat - they were even that same blue color!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Very cool Patrick, she's sure looking sharp. Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Pete, Nils, Bob and Ben

Thanks for all your comments!

Nils, you're right about the engine...it's going to be fun and, at this tiny scale, I'd be happy if it even looks passable! I'll do my best, of course.

Ben, thanks for the tip about the Yanmar website. I'll check it out. I've also been following your engine build and thinking how great that looks. You must be getting close to finishing it by now, so, I'm looking forward to your next update.

Pete - thanks for your encouragement which is always greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Funny you mention it - I haven't actually done anything since my last post  :o  We've been preparing for a new baby (including my wife and I spending as much evening time talking and trying to get through as much of a TV series as we possibly can before he or she comes), so I haven't really carved out time to do more work on it. The due date has come and gone, so we are expecting him or her any day now. So I likely won't accomplish too much more until after. But, I'll be off work for two weeks once that happens, so I may be able to squeeze some time in then.

In the meantime, I'll watch your log!!  ;)

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

Hi everyone and many thanks for all of your likes and comments! Greatly appreciated.

Well, I've finally started on the internal bulkheads. First and foremost, I've started on the engine room which is situated in the centre of the ship. The funny little red thing that you can see in the first photo is, in fact my feeble attempt at the ship's engine. I'm a bit embarrassed about it, because it's so tiny that it was difficult to get any detail on it. If I can, I'll try to take some photos of it (that way, we can all laugh at it!!!).

Anyhow, I'm just glad that I've been able to start on the internal work, because that's what I enjoy the most.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-70110600-1434550165_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-26735400-1434550189_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-26970400-1434550206_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-23374600-1434550221_thumb.jpg

Hi Patrick!It looks very cool!Have you the photo of the original engine?Best Regards!Igor.

Hi Igor

I tried to copy a real Diesel engine from the Yanmar website, but it got so difficult (in fact near on impossible!) to do anything. The engine is thinner than a matchstick and only about 0.8 of a centimetre long. I think I have to accept that trying to achieve the 'essence' of the engine rather than the detail is the best I can do.

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow.

All the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

"I think I have to accept that trying to achieve the 'essence' of the engine rather than the detail"

​You caught the essence and it looks good.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Patrick , I agree with Cap'n'Bob, She's looking good

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Concur with all. As soon as I saw the picture, I knew exactly what I was looking at! Really nice job. Question - does the engine room really have picture windows looking into it, or am I not seeing the layout correctly?

~ Ben

Current Builds:

Hi Ben

Nope, but good question. In the real ship, these "picture windows' are in fact large louvered openings to aid in the ventilation of the engine room. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the louvres, but at such a small size, they ain't easy! Thinking caps on....

Once done, it'd make a lot more sense.

Any news on the baby front yet?

Cheers and thanks.

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

"Thinking caps on..."

OK  I'm thinking.  I'm thinking.

Bob

Hi Carl, Bob and BDGiantman

Thanks for your comments and feedback!

Carl - the gummed paper sounds good. The trick is to get the individual strips lined up equally in the frames. Should be fun!

Bob - Thanks for helping me to think- Two or more heads are always better than one!

BDGiantman - thanks for stopping by! The interior walls will be either white plastic card or wood veneer, depending on which part of the accommodation it is. Generally, the wooden walls are the main saloon and owners stateroom, whereas the white Walls are used for the remaining areas.

All the best, everyone!

Cheers

Patrick

Hi everyone!

Well, over the last few nights, I've made more progress on the interior accommodation.  The following photos show the bulkheads temporarily positioned in the hull, hence why it all looks a bit wonky at this stage.  Oh well, heaps of work yet to be done, but that's all part of the fun, isn't it?

All the best for the week ahead!

Cheers

Patrick   

post-7645-0-96332900-1434887417_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-13002900-1434887456_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-76732300-1434887491_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-53513500-1434887526_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-81353000-1434887568_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-28481200-1434887601_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-27388300-1434887627_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-83448700-1434887647_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-27287200-1434887661_thumb.jpg