Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

I agree with Augie...  Very gracious thing to say.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'll go along with Augie and Mark Denis, the guys provided the rifle mate and you fired the bullets, accurately as well.

It's fitting that you should have some gold on board mate, seeing as how this is a gold star build.

It's a real shame she's coming to completion, we've all enjoyed this trip and no doubt we are all looking forward to see what you come up with in the future.

Be proud mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks to everyone......this has been such a positive project,  and you have been wonderful folks to share it with.  I had my doubts with adding another build to my roster,  but when I look over at my table,  and read all your comments,  this tangent that I went on has been worthwhile.  one more day at work and then I can get back to the table.    sincere comment......sure.......but it's one way to show how much I appreciate all you folks following along  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

G'day Denis

You deserve all the praise and acknowledgements on this wonderful boat you have shared with us all. We are the ones who should be thanking you.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thanks Greg  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

You couldn't keep me away ... not with a thousand horses ... It's entertaining, it's educational, it's creative, it's challenging, or as Mark Taylor would say: 'It has a learning curve' ... and I would add: on every level you can imagine ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thanks Carl  ;)  appreciate the kind word!  the work week is done.......time for play  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yepper........more playtime with Andrea  {make the admiral jealous!}   I did something today,  that I told myself I wouldn't do until the end.   so,  don't be scared, it's not the end just yet  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

not much Patrick.......as mentioned,  I was saving this for the last step.   the reason is that with them on the deck,  they actually gave me the feeling that it was finished......I've already done a dry fit,  plotting which ones to show together and where.   so....I held off on showing any pictures of them on the deck.......even kept them out of sight,  so they would be forgotten.   it worked well.......no one has mentioned anything about them ;)

I'm talking about the fuel drums.   I was thinking about the rack......I wanted to put a few there,  so I drilled a couple holes and made up a couple of those small hooks.   after painting them white,  allowing them to dry a bit,  the small copper chain was used to lash them in place {cemented in place as well,  of course}.

post-612-0-94816700-1430910607.jpg

post-612-0-11094600-1430910619.jpg

OK........that was enough for me.........the bow was set up.  after deciding which ones to pair up,  these too were cemented in place and lashed.   a little forethought here would have been nice......perhaps soldering some eyes to the railings or something,  but since I didn't do that,  I decided on a simpler approach.   the chain was tied to the railing with white thread,  and the excess was wrapped around the railing........works just as well in my book ;)   I started with the starboard side,  and then moved to the port side  after.

post-612-0-26381400-1430910998.jpg

post-612-0-70481400-1430911013.jpg

post-612-0-30100000-1430911025.jpg

post-612-0-61424800-1430911040.jpg

now,  on the port side,  you see two further back on the fore deck........I changed that.  there were going to be too many on the port side.........may make her list,  so I moved the extra to the other side.

post-612-0-24756200-1430911249.jpg

post-612-0-57778000-1430911261.jpg

post-612-0-17161900-1430911278.jpg 

so now,  other than adding some rope coils and a few bobbles,   all that need to be done,  are the life preservers,  and what I call the floatation boundary lines.   they are in the kit,  so I will add them.  something I want to add to these lines {I may make two of them},  is something I believe 'probablynot' asked in his Bluenose thread.......a thing called  'baggywinkles' .      don't quote me....I haven't even looked into his thread,  if his is the actual thread.....but I'll be checking this out.   I'll be simply tying short pieces of thread to the line and combing the ends out so they become loose and hairy.

I'd do this now.......but I have to wait till I get paid before I can go off on the scavenger hunt to buy the size beads I'll need.   I do still have those beads that I like to make the small floatation buoys....like the ones I made for the Nordkap, the Cux 87,  and the Mary Ann.   but,  I voted it down,  since these should be a round float,  rather than oval thingies.   I thought I had some already made still,  but I must have used them all.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

here are a couple pictures of the build overall.

post-612-0-59491800-1430913036.jpg

post-612-0-91298800-1430913049.jpg

post-612-0-15704500-1430913070.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You're right Dennis, the fuel drums kind of give her that finished look, but I know better.  :P She looks marvelous. Love the over-all shots!

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Beautiful work Popeye !   I enjoy looking at your pictures

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

Colorful details are making her pop!  Terrific!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks George,  Gerty,  and Augie  :)    yea...........there's color........but I think just having gray and white drums on the deck looked a bit dull.....that's what the kit called for.   I think there's realism here.......not a lot,  but enough.   thanks for the good word  ;)

thanks also for the likes  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Greg........interesting thoughts.   I didn't give any thoughts about the poke stick,  but I did think about the dispenser and hose.   I never went any further than that.   I really have no idea where the fill  access is on this vessel,  but you are right..........how does one get fuel from point A to point B?

I'll give it some thought  ;)    thanks for the good word!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I don't know where you get it from but it is amazing !!!!!!!!

You know where we live so I expect a box in a couple of months  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Just kidding my friend.

Fantastic job !!!!!!!!!

Sjors

G'day Denis

There are no words that I can say how great your AG is!

The fuel drums are amazing in every details, but, there is one or two things that are missing. I'm sorry to point it out to you, but here it goes: you may need to make a hand pump and hose that will go on one of the drums. And maybe a fuel gauge measuring stick to be pedantic. Just a thought though.

Again the whole build is out of this world.

Cheers

Greg

I went to edit and I deleted the post. Silly me! Lol

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thanks Patrick and Jack....appreciate the kind word!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

that's OK Greg.......I answered your post already  ;)

thanks Sjors.........your kidding......right?! {I know you are}....unless you enjoy getting a box of wood in the mail  :D  :D     I learned my lesson when I sent the Cux to Wisconsin through UPS.   it would have made it there in one piece,  if it didn't get jammed on the conveyor belt when it got there.    thanks for the good word!

thanks Wayne!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Dennis,

What do you mean by 'float lines?' Are these lines on the hull? Or part of the fishing gear?

Thanks,

Ben

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

thanks Carl.....heard it all the way over here!  ;)

part of the fishing gear Ben........the netting doesn't have any on them at the moment,  being stowed away on the reels.   I'm guessing that when they are deployed,  the floatation lines are attached to them,  to keep them from sinking too low in the water.   as a matter of fact.......the admiral and I were talking this morning....end result was that I was able to pick up a small package of beads.   I can make them now.......it will all be clear when I do  ;)  thanks for the question........I'm not sure of the name of them either.......>shrug<  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Dennis, UPS ? You mean United Parcel Smashers ! ;)

Seriously tho, I'm curious as to what/how you made the oil drums? Are they just wood dowels cut to size or ?????

Wonderful work, Popeye.  The drums help to make things pop and look like the real ship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)