US Brig Syren by _SalD_ – FINISHED - 3/16" scale

She's looking good Sal. I love how a ship looks when the rigging starts.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Sal,

Your masts and rigging look great so far. I can't wait to see the yard arms come together and be shipped. Will you start from the top and work down? I have seen people completely build out a mast before they install it and also do like you are where you build it up on the ship. I can see advantages to both methods. I love the detail of the rigging.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Thanks Lawrence, I do find doing the rigging enjoyable.

Thanks Al, Since this is my first ship of this kind I don't really know the best way for doing the yards.  For this ship I will be following Chuck's manual and I haven't read that far ahead yet so I should find out pretty soon. 

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

I finally finished the standing rigging and I must say this was a challenging chapter.  Since I had installed the lower and upper shrouds for the fore mast while I was doing the main mast the rigging for the fore mast went a little quicker.

post-11922-0-76740100-1457361923_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-63608200-1457361929_thumb.jpg

Like the main mast I found it beneficial to install and temporarily secure the topgallant stay and royal stay prior to fixing the royal backstay.  This is also when the dyslectic shipwright showed up.  I always make a point of going over the directions a number of times to make sure I’m installing the parts on the proper side of the ship but even after doing this I installed the topgallant stay to the port side and the royal stay to the starboard, opposite to the directions.  After a few choice words I decided to leave them as is because I figured nobody, well maybe Dirk, would notice anyway. To avoid this happening again I thought I would make a little visual aid.

post-11922-0-84331900-1457361930_thumb.jpg

I just need to add some rope coils to finish up.

post-11922-0-22664200-1457361927_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-43169200-1457361928_thumb.jpg

post-11922-0-25398500-1457361925_thumb.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Wow Sal, she's looking beautiful! I wouldn't worry about the stays. Like you said, most people will never know the difference anyway. I love that 2nd picture- great frontal shot!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

She looks great! Is she finished? If not, she's close! Great job Sal!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Wow!

You did an amazing work on the standing rigging. I cannot wait to see the next 'chapter' with all the intricate running rigging.  :)

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Sal, you're making great progress and your craftsmanship is outstanding. I hope you put a few crew aboard.   ;)

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Thanks Bob, Elijah, Craig, Captgino, Thomas & Jack for all the nice comments and thanks to all for the likes.

Elijah, she's not finished yet but getting closer. Still need to do all the yards and their rigging.

Craig, It's a great kit and I'm sure you'll enjoy building her.  The only major parts I replaced were the cannonades that I got from Bluejacket.  I also use the 3mm hooks from the Syren Model Co.

SOS, I'll need to send out the press gangs to come up with a crew.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

The boom and gaff were assembled as per the drawings and as you can see I decided to paint them black.  Finding out the hard way, there is one boo-boo on the drawing.  The cleats shown mid-span on the gaff are in the wrong position.  They should be located on the sides of the gaff and not the top & bottom as shown on the drawing.  I also decided to put the foot ropes on the boom before it was installed on the ship.

post-11922-0-43283500-1457963433_thumb.jpg

I went to rig the boom’s topping lifts and discovered I had missed two blocks under the main top when installing them in chapter 17.  They are the two blocks attached to the trestle trees.  Using a pin vise and lots of patience the holes were drilled below the top and the blocks installed.

post-11922-0-76556500-1457963435_thumb.jpg

At the end of the boom topping lift paragraph it says, “Note the “leg” of .008 rigging that runs from the topping lift to the boom. It is shown on the rigging plans. This should be rigged as well.”   I don’t believe this is shown on the drawings or at least I couldn’t find it but I think it’s the line shown on page 122 in chapter 20.

post-11922-0-96296500-1457963578_thumb.jpg

The staysail rigging was installed per the instructions and the only change I made was to seize some left over split rings to the end of the downhauls instead of making eyes.

post-11922-0-86451200-1457963576_thumb.jpg

Now I need more rope coils, my least favorite thing to make.

post-11922-0-57520200-1457963574_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-60594600-1457963571_thumb.jpg

post-11922-0-16507400-1457963573_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-62919300-1457963434_thumb.jpg

post-11922-0-99349800-1457963577_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-70858000-1457963575_thumb.jpg

Edited by _SalD_

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Looks great Sal!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Sal -

As others have said...GREAT work!  And not just on the ship, but on your build log as well.  All those tips and details on rigging will certainly come in handy for me and for many future SYREN  builders.  Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom with us.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

I agree with Gary. Lots of useful tips in your build log which will make my life easier once I get to the rigging! Great work, Sal!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)