HMS Dragon build by Siggi52 - Scale 1:48, English 74 Gunner 1760

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

it is done, the floorcloth is in! That was a whole weekend of concentrating drawing, redrawing and making new.

post-13971-0-90850400-1435562044_thumb.jpg

post-13971-0-43181500-1435562052_thumb.jpg

The for part of the quarter deck is also mainly ready.

post-13971-0-80138400-1435562056_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Recent build: HMS Tiger (1747)

Captains Barge ca. 1760, scratch build
HMS Dragon 74 gunner 1760, scratch build

stunning!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Love it, the difference between the rooms, and especially the compass needles. Did you do it on the PC or manual labour ...?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank you for your nice comments. 

That is all manually drawn. The problem I had was, that for the first time when I put on the varnish, the paper in the white parts sucks it all up and it looks only bad. For the second try I used sealed paper and now I have a smooth surface where also the white parts shine.

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Absolutely fabulous work. I'm always astounded by the skill and workmanship exhibited on this forum.  It makes me humbled and inspired at the same time.

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Siggi,

Beautiful floor cloths. Did you see an example of this pattern, or is this your own historical reconstruction? The compass roses are particularly effective.

Mark

David, may be it's my english, but I mean a somehow sealed surface on a paper. In my case it was a plain white printed part of a print.

Mark, yes it's the floorcloth of the Superb. The compasses are from other floorcloth out of houses.

post-13971-0-44192600-1435649611_thumb.jpg

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Hello again,

and first, many thanks for your kind words about my work. 

Today I started with the paneling of the side wall. And here I have a question for the experts or all who know something about this. The hanging knees from the poop deck.

Goodwin says: „Unlike other decks, only every other beam was supported with a knee on this deck, and these were placed where they would be most beneficial.“ Whatever that means?

From the NMM I got this picture of the Berwick from 1775

post-13971-0-16797600-1435671545_thumb.jpg

And here my ship. For these beams I would build the hanging knees. Counting from behind, under the second beam would be the aft screen, then the 4th, and 6th. At the 8th is the bulwark, but I could build here also one and then at the 9th and 11th beam. Otherwise on later ships, here are no cannons at the poop deck, so the knees support only the deck.

post-13971-0-56581200-1435671550_thumb.jpg

Many thanks in advance,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Breathtaking work, Siggi. 

Knees where "beneficial"... under the poop's gunports maybe?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Mark,

the poop had no cannons and they build in here only straight knees. So there are no knees „around“ the cannon ports (only left or right) of the quarter deck. I think I build it so as I described it above. 

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Robin, you could have questions!

First to say, I really don't know anything. But from the standpoint of a carpenter I would say the paneling is build on the normal planking in a lighter wood, may be pine or spruce. The bulwarks would be build like doors in a frame. For the paneling you need only half of that and that was nailed on the planking. The planking may differ here from normal, that only the lower spirketting and the upper deck clamp have there normal with. The planking between would be 2 cm thinner for the paneling.

I think that in this case the paneling is build and not painted, because at the models they look the same as in the bulwarks. As an example here a picture of the Egmont. To the left you have the aft screen and in the right background you see the same design on the wall.

post-13971-0-69157000-1435749558_thumb.jpg

I hope I could help you with this.

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Hello,

the paneling for the walls are ready! I did't think that it was so easy  ;)

post-13971-0-09859700-1435848528_thumb.jpg

The most complicated part was the cutting of the lines. Here you must have an good eye or good glasses. Because we have here this week summer, I went outside to do the cutting. Here the equipment I used for it.

post-13971-0-90479500-1435848517_thumb.jpg

And here the work is in progress

post-13971-0-69331400-1435848522_thumb.jpg

At the moment all is under color and it did't look so bad.

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Siggi !!

So far, I have been following your log in silence - and complete amazement. 

However, I just had to say that your paneling work is exactly the inspiration I have been looking for to re-ignite my own build.

Thank you for that !!

(Okay ... back to silent awe ... please continue)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Robin,

I do not know how the door is looking you mentioned, but here is the example that inspired me. The paneling at the Thunderer, or as I think the Dragon.

post-13971-0-39981300-1435921781_thumb.jpg

And here is an example from the Kensington Pallas. It looks as if they used wooden pegs for nailing. 

post-13971-0-32977200-1435921771_thumb.jpg

post-13971-0-00047700-1435921776_thumb.jpg

And that is how I think they nailed the paneling to the wall. Others as in houses they did't need a wooden frame under the paneling, they could nail it directly to the wall.

Also in this picture my painted paneling. When under color, you see every mistake you made.  :( The captain must hang up a lot of pictures! But there is a lot of paintwork left.

Steve, thank you for the kind words. 

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Hello,

now I have the paneling ready. But when I think about the future work with the rest bulwarks... :(

post-13971-0-74181200-1435936104_thumb.jpg

Have a nice weekend,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Siggi,

I like the panelling very much, and the color is consistent with house interiors of the same period. I know you always look for a good original source for your decisions; did you see this color in one of the models you have inspected?

In your photo of Kensington Palace paneling, I believe the wooden dowels were used to pin the tenons of the cross pieces into the mortises of the vertical pieces. The holes in each piece were drilled a little offset, so driving in the dowel would help pull the joint together.

It is still not clear to me how the frames and panels were actually attached to the bulwarks. I have some old early 20th century traditional architectural construction books; I will see if they offer any clues.

Best wishes,

Mark

Mark,

if you look careful you could see this color in some models, here as an example the Victory as she looked in 1765.

post-13971-0-52689700-1436028151_thumb.jpg

The panels of the bulwarks where I think fitted into rabbets into the frames. As in doors. But if that really so was, I don't know. Would you construct the bulwarks plank by plank?

Because we have here the may be hottest day of the year, 96°F, I went into the basement and build the aft screen. Even my tomcat stayed inside the house! 

post-13971-0-43099200-1436028143_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Hello,

today I painted the aft screen and when I was ready I thought, wow. That is looking better then that what I did on the wall in two colors.

What would you say, should I paint it all in only one color? 

It's not because of the paint job, that is really horrible and I bought today new brushes, but I think it is looking better and you could see the paneling better.

Regards,

Siggi

post-13971-0-27602300-1436280354_thumb.jpg

post-13971-0-48701700-1436280359_thumb.jpg

post-13971-0-09521700-1436280365_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Siggi,

Using two colours distracts from the carved paneling, especially on such a small scale. Since you've carved the paneling, you get different shades in your colour anyway, due to the reflection of light. It will look more natural when you use a single colour, and you can still see your 'handy' work.

P.s. I like the colour, keeps it bright

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...