With Christmas coming up again did you ever get the fife fishing boat into production?

I shall ask about that when we go over there next month - I have nothing to do with release dates or how and why new kits are released when they are - I just do the design and development which is then handed over to Amati. I then begin the next one and have little clue as to where the completed developments stand by way of release dates. The only clue I get is when I am contacted to check over the final versions of plans/instructions/parts lists. This is how I know the Revenge is next to be released.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Holy Moly Chris !

I do also prefer greater scales for being able to show every detail accurately. I think that the 1/64 scale is a perfect one for all ships with big dimensions. For the smaller ones is 1/32 a perfect scale. Having in mind that this model is huge and you are right when saying that maybe half as much as the Vanguard kit will be sold, many Victory-lovers will take unneeded furniture out of their living roomes to make place for this one ;)

All the best,

Thomas (from Bavaria, Germany)

All the best,

Tom

(sapere aude)

Chris

I cannot imagine transporting your masterpiece 1000 miles in a van :( . Remember what happened to the "Kings Men" during an analogous transit with Humpty Dumpty ^_^ .  How will you prepare your gem for the journey :huh: ?

Best

Jaxboat B)

i have a plan to help him, i am going to get him to send mine, so it does not matter if it gets damaged in transit, meanwhile - i will surprise the wife by completing my build over night, and give it to her as a surprise

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

OK, finished!

Well, almost - still needs a figurehead and carronades, but apart from that, it is done - now I have months of PC based work to look forward to.

Sorry about the quality of the pics (and background) - we can now renovate the room with nice oak flooring and putting some colour on the walls (and changing those awful curtains..), now that I have just vacated the space.

Will be taking it at the end of October - have to admit that it doesn't seem that big now, after having it around for so long - almost become part of the furniture.

Finishedvic1_zpsf0b4b81e.jpg

Finishedvic2_zps434b585b.jpg

Finishedvic3_zpsa395e823.jpg

Finishedvic4_zps85d1ed6c.jpg

Finishedvic5_zpsd8072aa4.jpg

Finishedvic6_zpsd2f8f9eb.jpg

Finishedvic7_zps9f991561.jpg

Finishedvic8_zpsee458d4b.jpg

Need to find a nice sturdy base to attach it to..

logo.jpg

so you take the build over, what happens to it then, do they display it, use it for the posters/etc, or do they just give it to me? 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

so you take the build over, what happens to it then, do they display it, use it for the posters/etc, or do they just give it to me? 

LOL, you will have more fun building one - you haven't finished your Victory yet - you don't want another, your wife will kill you!

It is going over because Amati actually own the model, and of course, they take professional pictures for box art and other promotional stuff.

Thanks Chris for keeping us informed.

I sold my Corel Victory kit on ebay and will wait for this kit

It will never look like your masterpiece when completed.

Thanks Again

Joe

Thank you Joe.

You could make the kit every bit as good, if not much better than the one I made. One thing I do notice on some threads is that some areas seem to be rushed, especially hull prep and painting. If you take your time on this area - fill, sand, fill,sand etc, prime the hull to see where the rest of the imperfections are, and go through it all again until most if not all imperfections/cracks are gone - and then for good measure, do it one last time, the end result can look great - even if you make a hash off the planking (as I usually do...). This does take time, as does the painting - and masking for this particular model. I am sure I spent more time preparing the hull and masking than any other aspect.

Always take your time, never rush. If you're not happy with what you've just done, simply start that area again - this happened several times to get the yellow/black bands correct, or, as correct as they can be to my eye. For a kit like this (or ay other, TBH), never employ a 'That'll do' policy, and the end result is something you and others will be very happy with. :)

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Will be taking it at the end of October - have to admit that it doesn't seem that big now, after having it around for so long - almost become part of the furniture.

Part of the furniture?   Hate to say it but that beast IS furniture.   :D     And above and beyond just plain cool.  Beautiful job sir, my hat is off to you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Chris, Great job and I want it! I want It! I want it! :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Chris: Congrats on a fine "prototype" :-) When I heard there was going to be another Victory developed I was a bit cynical that it would be different from the other "Victorys" out there.. I was wrong. She is definitely a unique model from the other kits out there and it will definitely be a "must buy" on a lot of modelers lists.. Congrats again. 

And Im impressed on how quickly you got her completed! wow....

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Nicely done Chris. Much as I would love something this size, she who must be obeyed is against it. If it as good as 'Pegasus', which I am currently doing, there should be no problems in Amati selling the kit. Have you considered doing 'Warrior' or is she to modern?

Mick Pallas

Well done Chris!

I still have trouble realizing that she is actually as long as I am tall... Hum... :D  This kit will be a pleasure to build, I'm sure.

By the way, have you settled on your next design after your well-earned half-year pause?

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Chris: Congrats on a fine "prototype" :-) When I heard there was going to be another Victory developed I was a bit cynical that it would be different from the other "Victorys" out there.. I was wrong. She is definitely a unique model from the other kits out there and it will definitely be a "must buy" on a lot of modelers lists.. Congrats again. 

And Im impressed on how quickly you got her completed! wow....

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Thank you, Mike. I have written before that I was not looking forward to designing yet another Victory. I have built many Airfix versions, the Panart version and had completed designs for the 72nd scale version 12 years ago. I realise that things have moved on a lot since then, and I most certainly wasn't prepared to re-tread old ground - boring for me, and a let down for the modeller who chooses to buy one.

It was probably the Airfix Victory that got me fascinated with ships from the age of about 8. I have recently bought some Tamiya plastic models, a Spitfire, Mustang and the Airfix 24th scale Mosquito. I know that there are many super-detailing kits to improve the already great level of detail. Some may quite rightly argue that most of the detail cannot be seen when made, but it's there nonetheless and this is where plastic modelling is going, so why not try it with predominantly wooden model kits, rather than simple 'block-models' - in which each new model is nothing more than an 'identi-kit' design of the previous models we build? I didn't want to give the illusion of full gun decks, I wanted the decks to actually be there, and when looking through the stern windows, I wanted to see the decks, not a wall of plywood, so the little boy in me could look through any opening and see detail - if the detail is there in a top of the range £100 Tamiya Spitfire kit, I feel it should also be there for a top of the range £800+ wooden kit - anything less is now unacceptable to me, as a modeller and designer.

With this in mind, Victory designs began, after learning lessons from the Bellona prototype - if it's really no different to the sea of other Victory offerings, then what would be the point - people would justifiably state that they could do just as good a job on a £200 kit, rather than splashing out 3-4 times as much - this is the problem with 'block' models, there's only so far you can go. 

I will still leave out very minor details, like flags for the flag lockers and deck furniture. I believe that most like to add their own stamp of personality to the model and get enjoyment from this aspect, to truly make it their own, so deliberately omitting minor detail is intentional - I am stone cold sure that there will be many interesting and more detailed models made from this kit than my 'bare' prototype - I just hope I have eliminated as much as possible the more boring aspects of building the model..

Nicely done Chris. Much as I would love something this size, she who must be obeyed is against it. If it as good as 'Pegasus', which I am currently doing, there should be no problems in Amati selling the kit. Have you considered doing 'Warrior' or is she to modern?

Mick Pallas

Cheers, I have considered the Warrior, but concluded that it wouldn't be a great seller. Wrong period. While there will always be a few that want this model, the bottom line is that not enough would ever sell to justify development time and money. The only good sellers for this period are the elegant clipper ships - for military though, anything post Napoleonic seems to garner little interest. (I'm not saying there's no interest, but not enough to justify developing a kit)

Well done Chris!

I still have trouble realizing that she is actually as long as I am tall... Hum... :D  This kit will be a pleasure to build, I'm sure.

By the way, have you settled on your next design after your well-earned half-year pause?

Wish I did have a half year pause, I have another 6 months on Victory, but it's all PC based....

Am hoping I can either do Prince or the Leda class frigate next.

Something smaller and Dutch ? :)

Jan

..or something small and Dutch... :)

logo.jpg

Chris,

I have enjoyed reading this thread immensely.  Thanks for taking the time for all the valued information and the pleasure it was to see this wonderful kit evolve.  

I vote for the Leda class frigate.

Yours sincerely,

Len

Happy modeling,

Len

Current build: HMS Bellerophon semi-scratch from plans of Victory Models HMS Vanguard 

Drydock:  MS Constitution

Completed builds: MS AVS, scratch built Syren, Victory models HMS Fly

Another vote for the Leda class Chris if I may, I would have thought options for Shannon or Trincomalee would have wide interest (although I'd love to see a Unicorn option with the rounded stern, I suspect that would not be practical).

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

As said before, I would vote for something like this one (Gouden Leeuw, as drawn by Van de Velde) in a 1:96 scale :)

All kits tend to be "HMS-ships"....

large.jpg

lol i might seriously tempted to build that, even though i have said i will not build another 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th rate ship again - just a cross section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Van_de_Velde_Gouden_Leeuw_cut.jpeg

<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dutch_ships_in_the_roadstead_of_Texel_(the_" href="http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dutch_ships_in_the_roadstead_of_Texel_(the_" gouden_leeuw'_of_cornelis_tromp_in_the_center)(ludolf_backhuysen,_1671).jpg"="">http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dutch_ships_in_the_roadstead_of_Texel_(the_'Gouden_Leeuw'_of_Cornelis_Tromp_in_the_center)(Ludolf_Backhuysen,_1671).jpg800px-Dutch_ships_in_the_roadstead_of_Te

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

If we are throwing ideas out there for the next kit Im still a ole vanguard on the Bellona project Chris had worked on earlier... it is a kit that I would line up in the rain for! :) Im still holding out in hope of seeing that one released sometime down the road

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

If we are throwing ideas out there for the next kit Im still a ole vanguard on the Bellona project Chris had worked on earlier... it is a kit that I would line up in the rain for! :) Im still holding out in hope of seeing that one released sometime down the road

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Me too!

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I love the Van De Velde drawings - one of my favourite and most treasured of books is Frank Fox's Great Ships - The Battle fleet of Charles II. I used this for reference for a few Prince changes, like the small protruding stern gallery that's not shown on the original model - but I trust the De Velde sketches, I regard them as almost as good as actual photographs for reference.

I am seeing Amati soon, so I'll see what's going on regarding future projects...

logo.jpg

I love the Van De Velde drawings - one of my favourite and most treasured of books is Frank Fox's Great Ships - The Battle fleet of Charles II. I used this for reference for a few Prince changes, like the small protruding stern gallery that's not shown on the original model - but I trust the De Velde sketches, I regard them as almost as good as actual photographs for reference.

I am seeing Amati soon, so I'll see what's going on regarding future projects...

Can i carry your bags?

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Chris,

A bit off topic, but if you want to see the levels of detail some plastic manufacturers are going to, have a look at the Airfix 1/48th EH101 Merlin Mk 3. This has an amazing 84 decals for the interior of the cabin alone! Having worked on the build these for 29 years there are items that I, and others, did not know existed until we actually checked the aircraft. They don't get much better than this although you can always find something extra to do.

Sorry again to other topic readers for drifting away from maritime subjects

Mick Pallas