hi Yves,

I don't know about Amati, but Corel has already marketed the Bellona a few years ago ( I bought it but didn't start it yet).

Yes, it is true that Corel does a Bellona at 1/100 scale. It is small, very difficult to work at this scale and the kit is quite expensive.

What we need is a Bellona at 1/64th scale to go with most of the Period Ships made.

There is a fellow on the Scratch Build Forum that has started a Bellona at 1/64th and it is a master piece.

Yves

There may be some news regarding Bellona soon - in the meantime, I have to start work and research on a 32nd scale Roman war galley....

Roma Victor!

The unofficial definitive period for the term "period" is the Georgian era, we can thank Jane Austen and the BBC for it :) 

If this rule is followed then there is hope we will see a steam/sail ironclad experimental warship...

A roman galley poses several interesting questions.

Will it have a corvus? 

Will it have a harpax?

Will it have a nice mini ballista kit or two? Or perhaps a catapult? Imagine a rubber band working ballista w/harpax  :)

How many rowers to an oar? How many banks of oars? 

How many castles on deck?

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

I won't start a new thread on this, as I am not sure who the kit will be for, so may be restricted in what I can give away.

I don't think it'll have a corvus, the Romans tried these in the 1st Punic War - although quite successful, they were also successful in making the vessels very unstable and many ships were lost because of this. (from what I have read, at least..)

As for ballista/scorpion/harpax/onager or two - it would be rude not to! 

Not sure about oar arrangement yet - still researching....

Regarding an ironclad - I personally like them and would love to develop one (I remember with fondness helping to develop and built the prototype of a 96th scale pre-dreadnaught almost 20 years ago now) - but I don't think it will ever happen. Even Warrior is often met with luke warm enthusiasm at best - and that's one of the prettier and well known transitional vessels. The rest are interesting, but ugly when compared to the vessels they usurped - the Victorian period just isn't that romantic when it comes to ships - most kit modellers aren't interested (although I know there will always be niche's within niche's), especially when compared to the earlier periods. In my own humble optional, of course..

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

There may be some news regarding Bellona soon - in the meantime, I have to start work and research on a 32nd scale Roman war galley....

Roma Victor!

Hey Chris: Any news is good news.. looking forward to those updates when then happen!

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Hi,

Just got to this thread.  I may have missed it but is there an issue date for the 1:64 Victory?

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all.

I am, cnemo, a member of this forum and I live in Turin, Italy.

To Turin there is the shop of Amati.

Yesterday I went into the store by Amati and I met Mr Amati.

He confirmed that the Bellona, will be produced in 1/72 scale and will be sold in over a year

Cnemo: Thank you for the great news! I will definitely be waiting for that release. Definitely keep us posted with any new information. Thanks again.

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Yes cnemo. Please!!!. We would love to have ANY information regarding the 1/64 Victory.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

The last issue of the Nautical Research Guild journal, features an extensive article by Chris Watton about his building of this amazing model.

Haven't had the time to read it yet, but that is a must read!

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

• 4 weeks later...

Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you and family, and thank you for all your work towards this hobby

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Chris,

My name is Lawrence

I am a very recent member of this excellent site and  am wondering if you could give me the dimensions of a gun carriage for a 32 pounder from the Victory.

A very good friend of mine has made me a 31.3cm length brass cannon ( it weighs a ton!!!)with the proviso that I construct the carriage.

I fully realise that you must be very busy,but I would be very grateful for any assistance.

Kind regards

Lawrence

ps.Happy New Year

Just a thought

When I asked Jotika why their Nelson series were all in 1/64 but victory was 1/72 they said they had plans to do a 1/64 kit but the carriers said it would be too heavy to economically send, hence the 1/72 kit

I wonder if anyone at Amati has thought of this?

There's another issue besides weight with UPS, FED-EX and their ilk:   size.  They take the length, width, and depth, add them together.  Over a certain size, you pay a premium for shipping. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Chris

I am truely in awe at this beutiful model of Victory how i would like to build her, however i fear i am a little to old to engage in such a long term project as

i do not yet have the skill yet .At the moment i am working on A-LATINAS Red Dragon it has taken me a long  as i try to be as perfact as i can be. anyway 

thanks for the insperation you give.

Janet B

Janet,

After I retired I worried about stuff like that. But, what if its the projects we undertake that keeps us going?

Richard

Richard

Hello Janet. Like you I am in awe at this ship/kit. I am not sure if I will ever finish it, but I'm going to buy it and give it a try. What's the worse that can happen?

Best regards.

Hi Chris,

My name is Lawrence

I am a very recent member of this excellent site and  am wondering if you could give me the dimensions of a gun carriage for a 32 pounder from the Victory.

A very good friend of mine has made me a 31.3cm length brass cannon ( it weighs a ton!!!)with the proviso that I construct the carriage.

I fully realise that you must be very busy,but I would be very grateful for any assistance.

Kind regards

Lawrence

ps.Happy New Year

Hi Lawrence,

The length of the 32 pounder is just over 50mm.

logo.jpg

Hi Chris:

I would like to ask if you can get Amati to make 4 mm deadeyes. These used to be available through Model Shipways and was carried for a while by Model Expo. The people that bought A. J. Fisher have taken over the Model Shipways parts and they say there is no source to get this and have sold the last ones that were available. Why they discontinued these and still make the others is strange, but that is what has happened.

Thanks.

I am not sure if AMATI will want to make other sizes, we have 2, 3.5, 5, 7 and 9mm already, I think.

logo.jpg

Just a thought

When I asked Jotika why their Nelson series were all in 1/64 but victory was 1/72 they said they had plans to do a 1/64 kit but the carriers said it would be too heavy to economically send, hence the 1/72 kit

I wonder if anyone at Amati has thought of this?

No - I started the designs for that model in 2001, and it was to be 72nd from the off. At the time, I thought that 64th scale would have been too large for most - nothing whatsoever to do with the carriers.

Also, the parts are split (keel split into two, like most of our new models), along with decks, so length of finished models bares no relation to box size. Vanguard is about 14kg, I imagine Victory to be around the 18kg mark. The extra decks in Victory probably equate to an extra 30mm thickness is materials in the box. There is lots more photo etching, but again, how thick is each sheet? (Although the 102 full length cannon barrels may add a kg....)

logo.jpg

I have learned a lot from Chris's work posted on this forum and hope all is well with him.

He has not posted anything since early November.

Hope everything is ok

Joe

Hiya!

I am OK, thank you. Just been busy doing boring research and designing the Roman Quinquireme (not easy as most drawings available are speculation, and there are no lines, which I had to produce myself...). It is 48th scale, giving a length of just over a metre - 32nd scale would have been just too huge.

I had the first prototype cut files arrive over Christmas, for the hull and am now building it up, making changes as I do. Also been plodding on with Victory stuff...

logo.jpg

Chris,

Great to hear all is well, and answered the questions on shipping the Victory kit.

New York is along way from Italy, but the cost will be worth it.

There have been over 56,000 views of this forum (amazing).

Your Victory model was amazing.

Good luck on your new project.

Joe

I would like to find out more about the victory kit discussed here but am having difficulty finding it. Can anyone supply a link for me?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard