Can i carry your bags?

You'd hate it - 12 hours solid driving and having to suffer an 18 year old female's choice of musical dirge on her iPod - plus a wife who loves ABBA! - a necessary evil I have to endure from time to time...

Chris,

A bit off topic, but if you want to see the levels of detail some plastic manufacturers are going to, have a look at the Airfix 1/48th EH101 Merlin Mk 3. This has an amazing 84 decals for the interior of the cabin alone! Having worked on the build these for 29 years there are items that I, and others, did not know existed until we actually checked the aircraft. They don't get much better than this although you can always find something extra to do.

Sorry again to other topic readers for drifting away from maritime subjects

Mick Pallas

Plastic kits manufacturers have really upped their game over the past decade or so, allowing you to built a very accurate miniature version of the real thing; I would not be happy spending hundreds on a wooden based kit only to find that its cheaper and relatively tiny plastic equivalent has more detail and more accuracy..

I'll drive :)

So post above... LOL

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

I am seeing Amati soon, so I'll see what's going on regarding future projects...

Chris - if you are wiling, maybe you could ask them about Cutty Sark plans :)  I may be ready for that one in about 8 years!

Great work on Victory!

Thanks,

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Hi Chris

ABBA and 18 year old music selections on an 18 hour drive? :huh:   You truly do suffer for your Art! :P

Amati should give you combat pay! ^_^   

Best

Jaxboat B)

PS: Are the wiener dogs going too? They probably like Wagner's Ring Cycle! :P

I know - you have no idea! lol

Sausage dogs are staying, step son is staying at home (my God!) while we're away - they were all born in Italy though..

Chris - if you are wiling, maybe you could ask them about Cutty Sark plans :)  I may be ready for that one in about 8 years!

Great work on Victory!

Thanks,

Bob

I think Cutty Sark is still on hold as we're waiting for a technology that allows us to replicate the two deck houses in fine detail (many different layers of panelling of the real version) - but I shall ask. :)

logo.jpg

Chris, my ten pence worth,

how about HMS Sussex 1693. for an Amati subject.?   Not a period that's well covered, and it's a beautiful ship.

Dan.

Chris: While I do remember you letting us know the Bellona kit was a prototype and that there was no plans to making it available to the Public, if we mustered a few more supporters for its release, could we consider Amati to reconsider? :)

Would it help if I say I would stand out in a snowstorm as well as a rain storm to purchase the kit?

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Chris: While I do remember you letting us know the Bellona kit was a prototype and that there was no plans to making it available to the Public, if we mustered a few more supporters for its release, could we consider Amati to reconsider? :)

Would it help if I say I would stand out in a snowstorm as well as a rain storm to purchase the kit?

Mike Draper

It would make a very nice kit, I have to agree. I will mention this when I see them.

logo.jpg

Chris: If you could convince the decision makers at Amati to release the Bellona I would definitely be one of the first to buy the kit. Judging from your prototype there is no question on the quality of the kit. If there is anything I could do to assist at my end let me know as this is a definite high quality build...

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Chris: If you could convince the decision makers at Amati to release the Bellona I would definitely be one of the first to buy the kit. Judging from your prototype there is no question on the quality of the kit. If there is anything I could do to assist at my end let me know as this is a definite high quality build...

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike,

I made the designs way too 'delicate' - if it came out in kit form without change, many modellers would have problems (although I am stone cold sure you and many others on here would have no problem)

If I get the go-ahead to buff the designs to general retail standard, I will be very happy - but it will be quite a lot of work. Would be worth it though as, looking at the pictures I had taken (I haven't seen it since shipping it over to Amati), it is a very nice looking model and would do well, sales-wise I think. It's like a Fly/Pegasus kit but on steroids, decoration-wise.

logo.jpg

Hi Mike,

I made the designs way too 'delicate' - if it came out in kit form without change, many modellers would have problems (although I am stone cold sure you and many others on here would have no problem)

If I get the go-ahead to buff the designs to general retail standard, I will be very happy - but it will be quite a lot of work. Would be worth it though as, looking at the pictures I had taken (I haven't seen it since shipping it over to Amati), it is a very nice looking model and would do well, sales-wise I think. It's like a Fly/Pegasus kit but on steroids, decoration-wise.

Chris: I appreciate you are willing to have a discussion on this.. I assume when you are talking about the designs you are referring to the scroll work on the port and starboard sides along the aft part of the ship. Could you do a self adhesive transfer as part of the stock kit but offer the more detailed designs as a after market? I have noticed they are doing this with plastic kits these days for armour and airplanes. Just a thought.

However, it would be good to have that original scroll work that you did on the prototype.. it definitely gives that added detail to the hull. I found your deck furniture was also a eye catcher.

I don't know if you used a brass etched pieces for the ornamentation, but I think they could be a easy option (I don't know the cost of production for those pieces). I have also seen companies like Model Shipways use pre laser cut pieces as well that were not too hard to use. But, again I would suspect that the reality of the design and production floor is different from us lads talking about it on a forum.

But as I said before.... Im keen on the seeing the Bellona kit come into reality.

Thanks again for listening

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Chris: I appreciate you are willing to have a discussion on this.. I assume when you are talking about the designs you are referring to the scroll work on the port and starboard sides along the aft part of the ship. Could you do a self adhesive transfer as part of the stock kit but offer the more detailed designs as a after market? I have noticed they are doing this with plastic kits these days for armour and airplanes. Just a thought.

However, it would be good to have that original scroll work that you did on the prototype.. it definitely gives that added detail to the hull. I found your deck furniture was also a eye catcher.

I don't know if you used a brass etched pieces for the ornamentation, but I think they could be a easy option (I don't know the cost of production for those pieces). I have also seen companies like Model Shipways use pre laser cut pieces as well that were not too hard to use. But, again I would suspect that the reality of the design and production floor is different from us lads talking about it on a forum.

But as I said before.... Im keen on the seeing the Bellona kit come into reality.

Thanks again for listening

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike,

As far as I am concerned, the scroll work is fine as is. I know the frieze work should really be painted on, so a colour paper template would be more in keeping - but the very thin brass is more 'resilient', whereas paper, no matter how good the quality, isn't. One small scratch can ruin it. (I know this from experience)

I was referring to the actual hull design, the bulkheads and deck beams - it is this area which needs 'beefing up' - it may be too delicate for some, so it will need re-designing as per the Victory method (which is a progression from the Bellona designs anyway)

The stern main decoration is cast resin - it is way too 'frothy' to work well using multi-layered photo etch. The resin is great though, as it is much more pliable than metal.

Laser cut decoration I am not so keen on. It is too easy for the parts to crumble to  nothing, if not 100% careful, and edges have to be carefully rounded off if it's to look like the real thing. There's nothing worse than having the tiny part break just as you finish an hours work on it..

logo.jpg

Hi Mike,

As far as I am concerned, the scroll work is fine as is. I know the frieze work should really be painted on, so a colour paper template would be more in keeping - but the very thin brass is more 'resilient', whereas paper, no matter how good the quality, isn't. One small scratch can ruin it. (I know this from experience)

I was referring to the actual hull design, the bulkheads and deck beams - it is this area which needs 'beefing up' - it may be too delicate for some, so it will need re-designing as per the Victory method (which is a progression from the Bellona designs anyway)

The stern main decoration is cast resin - it is way too 'frothy' to work well using multi-layered photo etch. The resin is great though, as it is much more pliable than metal.

Laser cut decoration I am not so keen on. It is too easy for the parts to crumble to  nothing, if not 100% careful, and edges have to be carefully rounded off if it's to look like the real thing. There's nothing worse than having the tiny part break just as you finish an hours work on it..

Chris: Thanks for clarifying that for me. I never considered that the bulkheads and deck beams would need to be beefed up. I thought they looked ok but  I could understand they could be a bit delicate.

If you and Amati are using cast resin for the main decorations that is stellar.. as you said its a very user friendly material. And I do agree laser parts can be a bit tender.. and its a hassle to get paint to adhere to it.

By the way..the last pics you had posted of the Bellona was without a full rigging of her.. did you ever get her fully rigged or did she go to Amati without "sticks and strings"?

Again.. thanks for hearing us out and again if needed let us know if you need any commitment or support on moving the Bellona kit ahead into production

Have a good one

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike,

No problem - here you go:

Bellonacomplete5.jpg

Bellonacomplete4.jpg

Bellonacomplete3.jpg

Bellonacomplete2.jpg

Bellonacomplete1.jpg

And this is the model in her crate, almost ready to be shipped - Victory would be too large (500mm longer and much wider) which is why we have to hire a van and drive...

Bellonainshippingcase.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Hi Mike,

If there's a lot of re-work, you might as well make it a 1/64 scale. ;-)

Then it would look more appropriate displayed next to Pegasus...

That's a magnificent ship.  Pity the plans can't be sold by Amati even if they don't want to produce the kit....  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Chris,

I'm really impressed at the way this looks, and appreciate what you say about using resin. In the model armour world we now get resin parts that are referred to as '3D modelling' or 'fast prototyping' - in fact we actually use this for how real helicopter parts would look. If Amati already use this technology. or would be prepared to invest in it, the problem of scrollwork, etc, may be solved as some the resin mixes are fairly flexible.

Mick Pallas

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd let you know that the model is going to Italy this Sunday, we have hired a van and will drive there (safest option for something this large and delicate) - not looking forward to the 14 hour drive, though.

There will be no models in our home once more, when we get back!

I have now finished numbering up every part and the parts list runs to 29 pages!

Just hope Amati like it when they see it on Monday morning...gulp....

logo.jpg

Hi Chris,

How could they not like it? Besides I think large portion of MSW members would send along

some "encouragement" if they didn't!   ;)

Have a safe trip and I'm still saving my money for when they decide to produce it. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Chris,

I too, hope you have a safe trip.  Hopefully, your bosses will realize what a wonderful product you have developed and expedite it to market.  

Take care,

Len

Happy modeling,

Len

Current build: HMS Bellerophon semi-scratch from plans of Victory Models HMS Vanguard 

Drydock:  MS Constitution

Completed builds: MS AVS, scratch built Syren, Victory models HMS Fly