rafine

Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

578 posts in this topic

I have chosen to defer the second planking of the lower hull in favor of doing work on the interior. so far, this has involved adding view blocks behind the rear ports (as per the suggestion of Joe V), adding the quarterdeck bulkhead and adding waterway-margin planks on the main deck. 

The view blocks are simply black painted pieces glued in place to prevent viewing through the hull at the rear ports.

The quarterdeck bulkhead presented some uncomfortable decisions for me. The kit provides walnut pieces to support curved panels in slots precut in them. These kit pieces were virtually unusable in the manner intended. The kit also provides black decals to be applied to the curved panels. I didn't like the look. Joe V and Timmo had painted the decoration on the panels, in lieu of the black decals, and did it beautifully. My attempts at this didn't look so good. AOTS shows an alternative bulkhead consisting of plain planking .With this "official" sanction, my lack of artistic talent and the state of the kit pieces, I opted to do the alternative bulkhead. I planked it with beveled boxwood planks to make the curved surface and painted it red to match the bulwarks. A cowardly solution, perhaps, but better in my mind than something that I would have been totally unhappy with.

After completing that work, I penciled in lines on the sub-deck to mark out the deck beam lines for the deck planking joints, as shown on the AOTS deck plan.

The last item of work was to make the waterway-margin planks from holly sheet and strip.The kit plans do not show them, but they clearly appear in the AOTS drawings, which I chose to follow. The bow sections were cut from holly sheet, using card stock templates. The remainder were made using holly strip bent to shape.The waterway-margin planks were made from thicker stock than that to be used for the deck planking, and were sanded to provide a slanted profile from the bulwarks down to meet the planking height, as shown in AOTS.

Next will be the deck planking, which will also require that work be done on the mortar pits before the deck planking can be installed.

Bob

post-186-0-07418200-1466077518_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-51632300-1466077549_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-16259700-1466077622_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-25907300-1466077650_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-65528000-1466077672_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-80327300-1466077694_thumb.jpg

Rustyj, Sjors, mtaylor and 24 others like this

I've now completed planking of the main deck (other than treenailing). The planking is holly strip, with pencil caulking on one side and end of each plank. The pattern follows that shown in AOTS and uses the lines previously drawn on the subdeck for joint positioning. The waterway-margin planks were sanded down, as necessary, to meet the deck planking.  I also added the additional section of raised planking at the mainmast and a quarter round waterway piece at the base of the quarterdeck bulkhead.

Prior to doing the planking, I had to make and install the two mortar pits, since the planking had to be laid up against them. I used the kit's walnut parts to make the pits, but used boxwood strip to plank the outer housings. The assemblies were finished with multiple coats of Wipe-on Poly and ringbolts were added before installation.

I am now going to do the treenailing.

Bob

post-186-0-32306800-1466599285_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-10284900-1466599304_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-23916300-1466599323_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-50278000-1466599341_thumb.jpg

It all looks so crisp and clean, great work. I'd be scared of putting holes for treenails in that beautiful decking.

Elijah, neptune and Canute like this

That contrast between the walnut & holly looks really good.  I've pretty much looked away from walnut, since it's so splintery to work with, but now, I'm going to start thinking of how to make such a handsome contrast somewhere on the Fly.

Great work Bob.

Martin

Thanks so much Martin. I' really not very happy about using the walnut, but so many of the kit parts are made from it. While I replaced the planking wood, I didn't want to totally replace all of the kit parts. The walnut is, as you say, a nice contrast.

Bob

Elijah, Martin W, mtaylor and 5 others like this

Wow, I have never thought of using Holly for deck planking, it really pops and has to be considered as an alternative for future builds, nicely done Bob.

Mortar pits have come out well and the whole is coming together very well.

I like.

Be Good

mobbsie

Thanks so much Red, Nigel and Ian for the nice comments.

Red, you should post a log.

Nigel, glad to have you back. I've missed updates on your beautiful builds.

Bob

neptune, Elijah, Canute and 3 others like this

Hi Bob,

Had an option, buy a camera or a Jim Byrnes saw.

No contest, the saw won hands down, even though postage and tax doubled the price.

The saw will increase in value, cameras are obsolete after a couple of months.

Looking forward to your next post

Regards

Red (Yorkshire UK)

Canute, WackoWolf, rafine and 6 others like this

Treenailing of the main deck planking is now done. As with the hull, this was done by drill and fill, using golden oak filler. After final sanding, a coat of Wipe-on Poly was applied as a sealer. The treenailing followed the beam lines previously laid out, and the pattern shown in AOTS.

To break up what what seemed like an endless drilling of holes, I decided to make the fore and main hatches during that process. The coamings were made from walnut strip from the kit. The main hatch planking was done with boxwood strip.Ringbolts still need to be added to the hatch planks. The fore hatch grating was done using cambered boxwood grating material from Syren that I had left over from Cheerful.

After putting it off for as long as I could, I'm now starting on the second planking of the lower hull.

Bob 

post-186-0-68878600-1467201453_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-78773500-1467201505_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-02085300-1467201528_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-61206100-1467201544_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59476200-1467201564_thumb.jpg

Sjors, Mirabell61, gjdale and 25 others like this