Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

The quarterdeck is now planked. To begin with, I added the subdeck. Then, I lined the inner bulwarks with strip wood that was trimmed and then painted red. Next, I did the planking, using holly, beginning with margin planks that were bent to shape before installation. Once again, a pencil was used to simulate caulking on one side and one end of each plank.  The last step was to do the the drill and fill treenailing, using golden oak filler.

When the planking was done, I made up the quarterdeck hatch. As with the forward hatch, I used  kit walnut strip for the coaming, and Syren boxwood grating material.

All-in-all, a very straight forward segment that went pretty smoothly.

Bob

post-186-0-38227100-1469271903_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-57360900-1469271923_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-66678200-1469271961_thumb.jpg

Your deck planking looks flawless! Would you say it is easier to have a false deck underneath versus mounting the planks directly on the bulkheads?

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks so much Martin, Thomas and the "likes". Always appreciated.

Thomas, I think the sub-deck makes it much easier to get a smooth plank run, unless the bulkheads are very closely spaced (or actual deck beams are being used). It does require, however, that you draw in the beam lines for the plank ends, since you obviously can't see them through the sub-deck.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up on your log Bob -- the transom and decking look really great -- it's almost impossible for me to tell that the stern decorations aren't carved! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Some further progress on Granado. First, I added the cap rail from the kit and painted it black, leaving the outer edge unpainted and sanded flush to the hull to allow for later mounting of the sheer moldings. I then added the stanchions, kevel cleats, sheave blocks and rough tree rail parts from the kit. All of these were painted black.

After completing that work, I decided to make up the rudder and associated items. The rudder was cut from holly sheet, using the kit part as a template. After shaping the fore edge, I added a sole plate and back piece made from boxwood strip. I then added the pintles, using the PE brass parts from the kit, painted black. Lastly, I added the PE gudgeon parts to the hull.

At this point, I had to suspend work on Granado temporarily. While I was out, a workman in my house managed to severely damage my completed Cheerful. This will require me to re-rig significant portions, as well as redo some other items. I intend to do this before continuing on Granado, although I must admit that the only thing I like less than repairing damage that I have caused is to repair damage caused by others. For those wondering, Cheerful was not yet in a safe display case. :(  :angry:

Bob

post-186-0-87735000-1470488245_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-43824600-1470488269_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-57145500-1470488288_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-73640100-1470488311_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-32833000-1470488334_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-01716300-1470488361_thumb.jpg

Granado is looking splendid Bob. Sorry to hear about Cheerful, though I have no doubt you will manage her repairs so that no one will ever know. Now, about that case...........

Thanks so much Dirk, Red and Grant for the kind comments on Granado and the encouragement on the Cheerful repairs. Thanks also to the "likes". Repairs are proceeding at a faster rate than I thought they would, but my OCD requires that I work full time until I'm done ( four 7-8 hour days so far ). The case is being made for me Grant, but is still not finished.

Bob

Some further progress on Granado. First, I added the cap rail from the kit and painted it black, leaving the outer edge unpainted and sanded flush to the hull to allow for later mounting of the sheer moldings. I then added the stanchions, kevel cleats, sheave blocks and rough tree rail parts from the kit. All of these were painted black.

After completing that work, I decided to make up the rudder and associated items. The rudder was cut from holly sheet, using the kit part as a template. After shaping the fore edge, I added a sole plate and back piece made from boxwood strip. I then added the pintles, using the PE brass parts from the kit, painted black. Lastly, I added the PE gudgeon parts to the hull.

At this point, I had to suspend work on Granado temporarily. While I was out, a workman in my house managed to severely damage my completed Cheerful. This will require me to re-rig significant portions, as well as redo some other items. I intend to do this before continuing on Granado, although I must admit that the only thing I like less than repairing damage that I have caused is to repair damage caused by others. For those wondering, Cheerful was not yet in a safe display case. :(  :angry:

Bob

Nice work on the Granado Bob,

and very sorry to hear of the damage suffered by Cheerful, I very much hope you will get her set together well again to former blossom  B)  :rolleyes:

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Bob,

Great work on the Granado. :)

Sorry to hear about the damage to the Cheerful. :angry:

I assume keelhauling was performed! ;)

Good luck with the repairs.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much Rusty. Glad to hear from you, but I'm missing seeing your work.

Well, after about 40 hours of repairs ( no keelhauling, I'm afraid, Rusty), Cheerful is now back to where it should be. It may actually be even a little better than it was. :) A photo is attached. Sorry, no before pictures were taken, but, trust me, it didn't look anything like this.

Bob

post-186-0-14408600-1470662937_thumb.jpg

Well saved there, Bob.  For some reason workmen, like little kids, always gravitate toward a handsomely built ship model, and touch it.  Why, oh why?

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Good fix Bob she looks great as does the Granado

Looking good.

Out of curiosity, did the workman or his employer offer any sort of compensation for the damage and your time needed to repair?  Personally I value my time greatly, and if someone who was hired to work in my home damaged something completely unrelated to the work they were hired for, you can bet that I would bill them (well, their company) for however many hours were required for me to repair it.

Bob, I fully sympathize with you!  The thought of somebody messing around with my models is most infuriating! I had - on a smaller scale - a similar situation once with my Ictineo model where somebody had to test whether the steering wheel was moving . . . and of course broke it! But you did an excellent repair job on your Cheerful! No trace of any damage left!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks so much Don, Brian, Thomas and the "likes". 

Brian, while I agree with you, for a variety of reasons that are not worth going into, that is not going to happen. I'm just going to swallow hard and be glad that I was able to make the repairs. Now it's time to be back to Granado.

Bob

Back to Granado. Before stopping, I had done the rudder and the pintles and gudgeons. Upon resuming, I made up the tiller and tiller housing and mounted the rudder, tiller and housing. The tiller was cut from boxwood sheet and rounded to shape with sanding sticks. The housing was done using kit parts and painted red.

I then proceeded to do two further quarterdeck items, the kevel blocks and the breast rail. The kevel blocks were made from boxwood strip, shaped with files, simulated sheaves were drilled and cut in, painted black and mounted with pins and glue. The breast rail was made from a combination of kit parts and boxwood strip which were pinned and glued together, painted black and pinned and glued to the deck.

I will now continue to work on the aft area, on the outside of the hull.

Bob

post-186-0-95734100-1470854625_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-92570900-1470854650_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-82108400-1470854698_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-88468000-1470854724_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-60916400-1470854752_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-12276100-1470854773_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-25945300-1470854793_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-68442300-1470854814_thumb.jpg

unfortunate circumstance with the Cheerful Bob! Glad it was salvageable! I have a couple of child-damaged models that I have not had the time or patience to do the (fortunately) minor fixes on -- I can't imagine the kind of damage that would have required 40 hours of repairs.......

The Granado is looking very fine, though! A lovely model and one I would love to build one day (my signature explains why I will not be purchasing any more ship kits in the near- to mid-future......

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thanks so much Hamilton, B.E. and the "likes". 

Hamilton, it does seem that you have a full plate "under the bench".

B.E., you can't envy my work -- you're my gold standard for clean, precise work.

Bob