HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Sjors,

If I worked every second of every minute of every hour of every day of every week untill you arrived I'd miss you cos I would be asleep, and I still would'nt be finished.

2nd planking will start Saturday. :)  :)

I only just found out that your Spaniard was at Trafalger, does'nt bode well does it, I reckon you had cottonballs then as well. :P  :D  :D  :D  

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Ben,

This is not a task I enjoy very much, she is such a big slab sided beast it seems to take forever but I cant put it off any longer, 2nd planking starts Saturday. ;)

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Can you see what I'm doing here guys, thought I would try out Sjors method of gaining rank, individual replies, soon be up there. B)  :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie

"I only just found out that your Spaniard was at Trafalger, does'nt bode well does it, I reckon you had cottonballs then as well. :P :D"

I'm trying to visualize what a pile of toothpicks floating on a raft of cottonballs actually looks like.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Here's mine:  There's no problem so big that it can't be solved with high explosives.    :)  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Now your talking.

In an ACS (American Chemical Society) survey of chemists, 60% admitted that blowing stuff up was one of the reasons they were lead to chemistry as a profession. 

I'd have been in that group....

I was a bit of a fire bug also...... :D  I only set 2 fields on fire and 1 was an accident, honest you can trust me.... :huh:

Hi Keith,

The biggest hammer I have is a 9lb lump hammer, do you think that that might be up to the job. :D  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Mark,

Explosives are not something I can buy over the counter, if you have some spare that would be helpfull, not for the Aggie you understand but Keith may be able to help "A & A" spike you know who's guns :pirate41:

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Guys,

As promised a quick update on progress so-far.

Quarter galleries are finished apart from a little bit of rubbing down, I didnt quite get the angles right so I've had to use a bit of filler but once she's rubbed down and painted up she will be good. Frames are still to go on after painting.

Roundhouse bulkhead completed and painted but I dont want to fit it just yet.

Started on the second planking, at least I have 1 plank at the stem on each side, not much but it's a start, I decided to go with the scale planks in the end. I know that there should be at least 3 planks between butt joints but I'm working on 2,  I'm working on a plank length of 119mm and to get a 3 butt planking pattern I will have to cut 30mm planks at the stem and stern, that doesnt seem long enough to me, it's not too late to change so perhaps you could let me know what you think.

Some Pics

First gallery in place

post-493-0-18741700-1365860132_thumb.jpg

Part two fitted

post-493-0-08311800-1365860253_thumb.jpg

I'm glad I've still got some filler

post-493-0-92968800-1365860322_thumb.jpg

One complete roundhouse and the first 2 planks dry fitted

post-493-0-70643100-1365871324_thumb.jpg

Both quarter galleries

post-493-0-04594700-1365871401_thumb.jpg

Port gallery

post-493-0-71509500-1365871560_thumb.jpg

Floors were painted in a force 8 gale

post-493-0-83665900-1365871626_thumb.jpg

So there we are again, right up to date.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Look'n good mate! ....... there's no grass growing under your feet :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Mobbsie, 

Great progress....  :) 

And don't forget that I'm still availabe as arbitrator if things start to get dicey....I saw a recent pic somewhere that had 14 cannon on a very small section of hull......and I'm not sure if it was an ally of yours.....

Cheers,

Jim

:cheers:  

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Looking very nice! I'm starting to think I should put this kit in my to-do pile.... (after the Confederacy of course..)

Hey Jim... weren't you the one that put a geezly big mortar (peace maker?) on the back of your river boat? ;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy......

The best arbitrator is prepared for anything..... :D :D :D

post-225-0-90359600-1365873212_thumb.jpg

It's all about deterrence.......... :pirate41:

Mobbsie,

I see pictures! Yippie yippie yeh.

And you know what they are saying…..filler is the builders best friend  :D

Question….you paint the front blue or is that the colour of the planks?

Nice to see that you started on the second planking!

@Jim,

Mobbsie is a ally …….

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

Nice build so far, Very nice

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

good to hear your doing the second planking.....the galley floors look cool!   can't wait to see the planking.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Guys,

My god Jim, if I had one that big I'd be well happy, and yes he who has 14 guns in a very small area is an ally.

Sjors, to answer your question, yes the bulkhead is painted, French blue and then flattened down with matt varnish.

Grant, Popeye, Kevin, Frank thanks for the kind words gents.

2nd planking continues though at a slow rate, domestic tasks have raised their heads, I blame Sjors, had to get the pressure washer out and do the patio, only the front to do now.

I'm using CA to glue the planks on and though it is easier using scale planks the glue sticks like you know what to a blanket, you have to be so carefull to get it right first time, even with the thick stuff, very little time is given for corrections, fortunately I'm planking an area that will be covered up by the wales although it does'nt look to bad.

I'll do a bit more planking before I post any pics.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

Don't blame me when the Admiral tell's you to clean the patio!

But I know why you are doing it….

When we are coming, everything has to be spic & span  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Mobbsie,

I'm curious as to why you are using CA for your second planking. As you know, I (like many others) hate using CA at all. It's been a long time since I did my second planking, but I seem to recall using a rubber contact cement - paint it on the hull, paint it on a plank, then join. My recollection is that it is fairly forgiving to use and progress was extremely fast. Just a thought for you my friend...

Edited by gjdale

Mobbsie,

What Grant asked, I'm curious too.   Difference between him and I is that I use PVA. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I've used CA.........but I use white glue more.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch