HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

Hi again folks.  I have finally motivated myself to make a start on the yards.  The following photos (across two posts) shows the process I have used with two yards now formed.

After resizing the plans to suit my scale (1:60) I have printed them to form a guide and from which to take measurements - I double check these against the spreadsheet created by Dan Vad  to ensure all is accurate. 

I then mark up the square stock using the 7:10:7 rule for which I have generated a template on my PC.  The square stock is then fitted to the jig for milling into the octogan base yard.  The jig and the process, are a modification of that recommended by David Antscherl in his "The Fully Framed Model, ....., Vol 4" - thanks David this Volume has been very useful.

Once the octagonal has been formed, I spin the stock in my lathe to shape the tapered and rounded  outer yard arms - I use a plastic tick strip as my ready reference.

This has proven workable for me with the Main and Fore Main yards now shaped (yet to receive the furniture) - I will make a start on the crossjack this week and then onto the upper yards.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-03699100-1458539338_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-75720900-1458539268_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-21464200-1458539278_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-09595800-1458539380_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Part 2 of Yardarm shaping process:

post-385-0-14784000-1458539674_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-19100700-1458539480_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-26124800-1458539637_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-90728500-1458539652_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

Looking great on the swivels and the yardarms, Pat.   I like the template idea.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow - thanks for the interest and likes folks - appreciate the encouragement.

Greg:  yeah does help a tad :)

Thanks for the comments Mark and Chris.

cheers

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

A small update with some progress made on the yards.  The metal block you see is a jewellers block that allows a clean cut at 90, 45 or 60 degrees for round or square material; this has been quite handy for these very small bits.

The design for these yard arm iron work is for the bent piece to slip over the end then the rings are slid over that.  I used a small jewellers anvil to splay some brass tube to get the angled inner diameter before slicing off the thin rings.

Some of the yards have had some of the additional fittings/furniture added but still need to be cleaned up and stained.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-36936500-1460275352_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-73522100-1460275367_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-81951500-1460275388_thumb.jpg

G'day Pat

I assume that you are going to leave your yards stained, not black as per the period colour scheme. I'll be leaving my stained as well,ecxept for the centre where it will be black.

great work on the yards! And pease tell us where you got that jewellery block tool?

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

It's called jewlers miter cutting vise. That's why you have a hard time to find it. I had a hard time too so I played around with the words. And found it.

Can be found on Amazon.

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Sweet work, Pat.  Everything looks to be coming together in grand style.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi all, thanks for looking in and the encouraging words; too many to thank individually, so I will keep this general.

WRT stain or painting the yards - I am still not decided.  I have found no definitive evidence that they were painted black in that period and remain open to suggestions.  I have some time yet to decide as I am contemplating putting furled sails on and I need some time to investigate that also.

WRT to the jewellers mitre anvil (THANKS Per) - I believe MicroMark may also have them but please check that they are not a cheaper version.  The real thing is made of a very hard metal (I think steel or an alloy) so that you can safely cut or file against the surface.  This makes them a little expensive though, but makes the metal work so much easier and cleaner.

cheers

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing progress. I have just caught up with what you have been doing. I have been out of the ship yard for several months. back into it soon.

Wow,

I thought I bring you a visit but......

Why have you buy a kit ?

There is nothing original anymore  :D  :D ( the kit I mean )

Making your own yards.......

I'll be visiting you more now.

Sjors

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, well it is time for another well overdue update.  Thanks all for looking in and the likes; much appreciate the interest and comments. Nice to see you back Mike.

I have now trialled a couple of methods for fitting the yards in such a confined space.  My solution is that after rigging the yard completely, I form the parrels off the model and hold them temporarily with the electronics micro-clips you can see in the photos below, lower the jeer blocks, fit the slings, fit the parrel then raise the yard into position..  i will post more detail when I get to this stage.

I form most of the blocks etc, as shown below, off the yard then rig them into place when all are complete.  I am at the stage of rigging the stirrups -  I think the photos show the process with sufficient detail to not provide further comment here.  When the stirrups are dry I will slide the blocks, tackle pendant, brace pendants etc into place (over the stirrups.  When all are in place I will trim the draw rope and seizing, then reeve the foot rope.  More photos of that stage to follow.  The other photos show some of the detail of the process and final fit.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-18345100-1465627126_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-55910400-1465627197_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-91662300-1465627217_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-08273900-1465627519_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-79285000-1465627155_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-87475900-1465627178_thumb.jpg  

Edited by BANYAN

She is looking fantastic. Amazing progress. I am still struggling to find time to get back into the ship yard. I will get there soon.

Sweet work, Pat.  Looking really great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice work Pat.

When I see the second picture with the clamp and the buckets.... I thought I was looking at a fishing rod  :P  :P

But when I take a look further I see an amazing good yard !!!

I want to order 9 of those please  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

Nicely done Pat, you're on the home stretch now :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks for all of the comments and likes folks, much appreciated.  Sure helps the run home!

Sorry Sjors, the dockies flat out refused a further production run ;)

cheers

Pat