Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

It's gonna look great with a launch or just a stand so I'm not sure which way to vote on that one. Do what your heart is urging you to do! How do you make your flags? Do you just print them off on paper?

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

You have done a first class job :dancetl6: , and have every reason to celebrate. I vote for a stand

Thanks Don and Jesse....
Flags - I've done both paper and very fine silk fabric in the past.  It's tricky, so I'll play around with this one and come up with which looks most realistic.

Much better weather today, so I just came in from a photo shoot that should be much improved over the ones posted above.

Plan to replace all of those shots before the end of the day.

I think everybody will agree, they are pretty rough.

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

New pics of finished rigging now posted (#903 above)...... more better.

Cheers

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Windlass..........

Digging through my many trays of shop "stuff", I came across a couple of these wall pegs.  
I'm thinking I picked them up over twenty years ago to build a coffee mug holder for a friend.

Do you see a windlass like I do?

post-11777-0-31296100-1481204376.jpg

Works for me.

post-11777-0-89381900-1481204450_thumb.jpg

Never throw "stuff" away!

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Yep!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Adapting what we have in accordance with our skills is the key Dave - I see a very nice capstan :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pumps completed....

We all have our personal favorite little item we love to build.  I think these little water pumps are mine.

These went pretty quickly.  

Most of the time spent on shaping the handles and mounting brackets.

post-11777-0-06573100-1481331580_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-00851700-1481331596_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Dave:

This is a truly remarkable model. The work is outstanding. I am in stuck in "awe" mode.

Russ

Russ / Patrick.... Always good to have you visit. Thanks....

The mechanical functions do indeed work Patrick..... guess that's why I love building the little suckers.

Sawdust Dave -

Russ / Patrick.... Always good to have you visit. Thanks....

The mechanical functions do indeed work Patrick..... guess that's why I love building the little suckers.

Hi Dave

They actually do work?  That's even more impressive!

Nice.

Cheers

Patrick

Playing around with creating a launch....

While waiting for flags to arrive, I decided to explore adding a launch.... bread and butter construction.
I've never used "bread and butter" technique before.  Looks like fun.
Cutting up some scrap press board to experiment with.

Planning to add a false keel before removing the inboard material.
Then, I think fake ribs, planking, floor grating, seats, rudder, etc.

Maybe / maybe not.... we shall see.

post-11777-0-12083300-1481377551_thumb.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Never throw "stuff" away!

This  has  been my way for a long time, but it is a double edged sword.

Nice capstan.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Michael.... So far I am liking the way the press board material is easily shaped with a Dremel  drum bit.  Had to put on my dust mask and apron as the sanding dust from this stuff is really nasty.  

Plan to remove most of the center material with my band saw before gluing the three layers together.... then chisels and sanding strips to smooth inside and outside.  Not too concerned about seams since the hull will be painted white, and the inboard will be planked and somehow fitted with ten ribs.

By the time I add the floor grating and seat boards, the inboard area should be pretty busy to the eye.

Sawdust Dave -

Launch progress.......

So much fun to be back to the modeling tasks I enjoy most.

Took a few shots along the way from shaping the launch hull to this mornings stage of applying outboard planking.

Shaping and planking and painting the interior ....

post-11777-0-72292700-1481639903_thumb.jpg

Adding the catwalk and side rails.... transom and seat boards....

post-11777-0-57168200-1481639915_thumb.jpg

Shaped hull and false keel .... painted and adding planking....

post-11777-0-53255100-1481639925_thumb.jpg

Planking and wale added....

post-11777-0-08864700-1481639952_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Much to go yet..... rudder / tiller - oar locks - oars - small anchor - rope coils - and cradle..... finish sanding and sealing hull.

Question - Would such a launch have been stowed on board with rudder on, or would the rudder have been removed and stowed inside?

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

My choice: Rudder stowed on-board. I think I did one with it fitted, and the other three had it stashed on-board and visible. I thought it a nice detail to show this when doing the boats on my own build, as most people (most non-MSW people, anyway) wouldn't know this was how it was done.

I certainly didn't !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

LAUNCH FINISHED....

I guess we're running out of road very rapidly here.  The launch is now sitting in place on deck.

After cleaning up and adding the oar locks and stern post, the launch is ready to be staged in place.
post-11777-0-62318900-1481836539.jpg

The cradle is about as simple as they come.....  The oars are quite thin and very delicate around the grip end.

post-11777-0-92550800-1481836557_thumb.jpg

The rudder somewhat tricky getting the pentles and gudgeons to match up .... and the tiny anchor shaped from a piece of scrap pewter.

post-11777-0-34775600-1481836604_thumb.jpg

All staged on deck....

post-11777-0-89097500-1481836636_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

That looks very good Dave, just the right amount of detail.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Began working on ID plaque this evening.
Flags should be arriving tomorrow.

Guess I'm almost done with the SOS.....I always have very mixed emotions at this point.  Happy to be finishing one up, mixed with being a little sad to be coming to the end of a really fun build.
Still not sure what I'll do next.

Sawdust Dave -

Flags finished....

Arrived yesterday - None the right size of course.  Nothing is ever that easy right?
No problem.... I scanned them all and printed onto paper.  Re-sized each to fit,. then used white paper glue to fold the two matching sides together.
After 80% dry, I played around with getting the appearance of being slightly lifted by a light breeze.

Working on the ID Plaque now, which will put the wraps on this build.

Good day for having a cold one to celebrate.

:cheers:

Dave

post-11777-0-83377900-1482011215_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-77562300-1482011240_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-40357900-1482011247.jpg

post-11777-0-66962400-1482011922_thumb.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave:

Really beautiful model. The flags came out great. Congratulations on a fine finished model.

Russ

Congratulations Dave!!!!

Your SOS is certainly a triumph in skill and talent.  Each update has caused me to marvel even more, from the initial hull, through to the ornamentation and moldings, right through to the rigging and, now the flags.  

Marvellous, just marvellous.

Have a great Christmas and 2017.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Russ / Patrick.... Always so nice with your remarks of encouragement, most appreciated by me.

We're going to enjoy the pleasure of NOT traveling this entire holiday period.

Gives me a chance to give the old shipyard a thorough cleaning before starting a new build.

Best wishes to both of you for a very Merry Christmas.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Just marvelous, Dave.  I too have watched the progress and your work is incredible.  Have two cold ones... one for me since I can't be there to raise one in your honor.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)