Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

outstanding job Jesse!  very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

That tackle looks magnificent JesseLee.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I am now adding the deck fittings I had pre-made earlier in the build. Beginning to build the rest of them that had not already been done.

Jesse

DSCN2952.JPG

DSCN2953.JPG

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Turned the fife rail stanchions on the mini lathe. Made a pattern to go by out of scrap metal strips using grinding tips with the Dremel tool and mini files. I had a lot of trouble with the kit supplied wood for the rail. It kept splitting and breaking even after gluing layers together, so I made my own out of wood sticks I had laying around. I have no clue as to what kind of wood it is but this one is much better.

Jesse

DSCN2812.JPG

DSCN2816.JPG

DSCN2817.JPG

DSCN2859.JPG

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Having some problems with the last 2 pics, will get them up as soon as they load right.

Jesse

Looking very good, Jesse. I like those stanchions very much!!! You deck is becoming a real ship's deck now you are adding the furniture. It's great to see your progress. Keep it up!!

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Here are the last 2 pics....

DSCN2862.JPG

DSCN2863.JPG

Fife rails turned out great, Jesse. Glad you're feeling a bit better.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Great work on the stanchions. She is looking real good

OOOOOH - WOW JesseLee, great looking stanchions there!

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Great work Jesse. Your deck is becoming very active with all he detail.

Not being a lather, although I recently got a midi, somewhere I read that old hacksaw blades make good profiles for turning small parts. Do you know anything about this? Especially how to cut the profile.Thanks

Regards

Not real familiar with it all yet Michael, most of my life I never had a lathe or even worked on one. Need to learn more.

Galley Stack construction....

DSCN2832.JPG

DSCN2833.JPG

DSCN2834.JPG

DSCN2835.JPG

In a little conflict about the belaying pins. Would prefer to have wood ones but It would take so long to try to turn all of them. The brass ones are all uniform and the same so I'm trying painting them with one thin coat of Testors Wood color then 1 thin coat of flat tan over that. I will see if this works ok seeing how most of them will be covered up with the rigging tie-offs and coils. If it does not work I will try to turn them from toothpicks or something. The brass ones will have the most strength.

I'm making sure the anything secured to the deck (especially where there will be additional pull or pressure from rigging being tied off has metal pins underneath for additional security.

Overhead look at the progress so far...

Jesse

DSCN2956.JPG

DSCN2957.JPG

look'in good Jesse.   I tend not to worry too much about the belaying pins.........if I do paint them,  I wait and touch them with a like color with the rigging.   most will not be seen anyway ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

As Denis wrote, Jesse. After painting  them, the belaying pins won't show if they are made of wood or brass. Considering the quantity of rope for the rigging, they will be hardly visible ( size wise too)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi JesseLee, another good thing about using brass for the pins is that they wont break when you start belying your lines to them. I'll do the same for my Surabaya model.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I am coming up to the Hammock Cranes and netting soon. One of our other MSW members who have done this build has suggested to wait until after installing the lower shrouds because of damaging/bending them in this process. I got to thinking about damaging them while trying to tie off running rigging to the pin rails but it seems it would be too difficult to add the netting to the Hammock cranes after all this rigging is in the way. Would like feedback on this from anyone. Go on and add them now or wait until other rigging is done first?

Jesse

Hi Jesse -

For my SYREN build, I installed the chain plate assemblies and lower deadeyes, then the hammock cranes and netting, and after that the shrouds themselves.  I found that there was sufficient space to work with the hammock cranes and install them as well as the netting when the lower deadeyes were in place.  I also found that the thin strip of wood that runs along the hammock cranes gives the whole assembly more strength than I previously thought.  I don't recall any problems tying off the running rigging to the pin rails.  The sequence I described worked well for me, but there is certainly more than one "right way" to do this.  Also, the hammock netting was easier to install than I feared, and it came out better than I thought it would.  The cranes and netting add a lot to this model.

Good luck with whichever sequence you select.  Its great to have you back at work again.  Your quality of work is supurb!

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Scanning over others Syren builds I saw someone tied the binnacle down. Did some web searching and saw that this was commonly done so I made my attempt at it. Theses hooks are very tiny and were difficult for me to make but I managed to do it. Tying it down was not easy because it is such a tight space.  Sorry some of these pics are not real clear. The camera wanted to focus what was behind  and around instead of the tiny hook I was trying to shoot.

Jesse

DSCN2974.JPG

DSCN2975.JPG

DSCN2977.JPG

DSCN2978.JPG

Added the ships wheel that I built last year and rigged it up. Again I have borrowed from others research and made some adjustments to how the instructions showed it.

Jesse

DSCN2979.JPG

DSCN2980.JPG

DSCN2981.JPG

Does anyone know how that capstan would work with the companionway right beside it? I can't tell if the capstan bars would clear the top of it. That would certainly take away some of the muscle power provided as the men skip around the companionway to grab the bars again as they come past it on the other side....... Your hooks.... Amazingly small. Nice job. I don't think I could do that. Yes, binnacles were often lashed down like that.

nicely done Jesse........detailed very well :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: