RMS Titanic by popeye the sailor - Academy - PLASTIC - 1/400 scale

this is great work! I am enjoying your progress. This model will show what a grand ship she was. I love all the attention to details you are putting into it.

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

Denis,

besides your beautiful clean and accurate mounting and painting work, I admire the kit design and all the fine Details that come to life during the assembly.

For instance the fastening Points on every funnel for the funnel stays, a great help to fsten These before the black funnel tops are mounted

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Not only are you good with the tools , you are pretty good with the words too!! ;)

frank

I agree with Frank, Denis. .......

You are a poet

And you did not know it.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

5)  and perhaps the biggest one would be.......the admirals would always know where we are   ;)

I gotta agree- when the admiral complains about time in the workshop i reply at least you know where i am (physically- dunno about mentally :P ) builds really coming together and having started the zvezda 1/350 dreadnought i can appreciate how tiny the 1/400 bits are on the titanic!

Keith

thanks everyone for your kind comments and likes.   yea,  I haven't written any poetic stuff for a while......I used to quite a bit.   I never know when it kicks in.....a lot of what I see usually does it  ;)

Nils........I think you'll like this next little update  :)

I'll have to see if you have a build log on that Dreadnought Kieth........I've done a few battle ships and such in my younger days.

Again......more touching up on the glue marks.  I need to get more railing work done.   two more days.....I'll be back on vacation  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I did something I couldn't resist........first though,  I finished touching up the A deck railings and added the last pair of cranes.

post-612-0-58959800-1439083728.jpg

#4 funnel is ready......so I went and rigged the cables.  it was a good call to use a thicker thread than what was supplied in the kit.....they are much more visible.

post-612-0-35718600-1439083869.jpg

post-612-0-30233800-1439083889.jpg

the aft view of the deck assemblies

post-612-0-42878500-1439084023.jpg

then I started to think that I should get the hull buttoned up and ready for the next phase.

post-612-0-27111200-1439084176.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

It might be a camera perspective thing Dennis, or just me  :rolleyes:, but from here, those guy-wires look just a bit too thick for the scale of what they're holding.  Ah - like I said, maybe just a low-res, camera perspective thing. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Denis

I'm always amazed when I see your updates. I think a lot of the skill you're bringing into this build, is your ability to paint and finish off details so cleanly and precisely. If it was me, I'd probably drown the item in paint, thereby smothering the subtle details of each item. So, there're some good lessons for me to learn from your build log.

Also, when you say that the 'next phase draws near'...yep, definitely looking forward to that one!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

G'day Denis

It looks like to me that Urmilla knows a good thing when she see it. We all do my friend. Keep it going.

Goodonyamate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

very nice update Denis,

it pays off that you were patiently concentrating on the Quality of the details before the assembly begins...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

I like the cables on the electric cargo cranes. Looks neat. Hand rails look good. Are those kit supped braces you have in the hull or are they an extra you added yourself?

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

thanks for the good word and the likes  :)    only one more day.......then I'm on vacation again  :)   then I can get back to her  ;)

the TRMA,  as well as photos I've seen George  suggest this.   besides,  I don't believe that the single size thread that the kit supplied,  is the only size cabling for the entire build.  like the masts........the thicker thread is for the main stays,  the thinner thread is for the lower lesser support cables.  I think the mix of thread sizes will enhance the looks.

tell Urmila thank you for me,  Ed.........another one of those extra special hugs is in order  ;)

it would look better Nils if they were all rigged......soon my friend.    it would even have been better,  if I had seen the lower cables,  and added them in.  they would have given more contrast........use the thinner thread for them.

those braces in the hull are supplied in the kit S.coleman....I added in the cables for the cranes.   nearly broke them drilling the holes.   it was worth it though  :)  there is some warpage at the stern........I have the bow section cemented in place already.   I'll have to make something to pull the hull together,  when I do the stern section.

don't think you have much to worry about Patrick.........your past builds show that you have a great command of the paint brush  ;)   modeling in such a small scale is no easy feat .

thanks again for your kind comments........I hope to have an update soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I think the contrast in cable thickness will be a definite plus, and will look awesome Dennis.  As I said, "probably just me". Perspective can do weird things with my eyeballs. -- Now where's my glasses?  :D  

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Dennis I rarely work on anything than small but I have always admired those who do. Your attention to the little things will enhance it considerably.

David B

Are the tops of the handrails going to be painted to simulate wood? As I think the top rail was wood of some sort?

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Are the tops of the handrails going to be painted to simulate wood? As I think the top rail was wood of some sort?

That's a great idea, also when you do it put in wood grain as well. LOL

I tried to visit Monday evening..........after a day at work......I failed.   too dog tired to thank you fine folks for your kind comments and likes.   I didn't do much on Tuesday........restoked my fire..you could say  ;)   I'm on vacation now.......I do have a few things to do,  but I don't think it's going to impede my table time too much.   I took some measurements of how warped the aft section of the hull is.   all I need to do now is mark it off and then I can install a couple extra braces in there to pull it into shape.

yes,   the hand rails are to be painted a teak color {or as close as I can get}.  I used the paint I mixed for the bottom color for the stairway railings......I need to do something with it though,  it almost has the consistency of a wash.   I'll beef up the pigments and then I can do the handrails.   of course,  I'll need to unrig the #4 funnel.   got to get my hairs cut today...........I'll work towards coming up with an update  ;)    thanks to all of you  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well.......I'm trying to have fun........teteur me.......I bit off a bit more than I could chew with a couple projects.   just as well,  because one of the steps I took needed time to set and dry.   the stern section needed to be fixed........so two jigs had to be made to align the sides.   setting the stern section in place,  I got my measurements and made the two jigs out of basswood. 

once they were given my blessing.......finger's crossed,  they were set in place and braces made from sprue,  were cut and cemented in place.

post-612-0-36693400-1439555978_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-77696300-1439556011_thumb.jpg

since I'm working on the hull,  the props were cemented in place at this time.

post-612-0-13820800-1439556082_thumb.jpg

the bow section has already been cemented in place.  touch ups were done.

post-612-0-80016400-1439556137_thumb.jpg

a day or so passed........I did my time consuming projects around the house.  the jigs were removed and this is what I have now.

post-612-0-99746300-1439556234_thumb.jpg

the hull is much more streamlined now........adding the braces pulled the sides in.   fitting the stern section back in was a snug fit........sanding the edges of the section helped eliminate this.   the tops of the bulwarks along the well was painted a flat white,  and the tops along the mid ship was painted with the insignia yellow.  when the mid ship is in place,  no black separation will be seen.

post-612-0-19372500-1439558334_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-17100800-1439558368_thumb.jpg

another aspect I've been working on,  is the wood tops for the railings.  I wasn't going to add this detail in due to the scale........and the face that I had already done the bow section without doing it.   now that I started with it.......I'm beginning to wish I hadn't.   the paint I'm using has been thinned down a bit.   I added some paint to it to thicken it back up........not enough I'm afraid.   the paint spread and bled down onto the lower part,  making quite a mess.   so,  I have to do some damage control on that front.

yesterday,  after whatever off the wall thing I was doing,  the wood bug took over.   I did some more work on that special project,  I have on the back burner.   making parts on the scroll saw.   I'm not using the parts panels,  as I've done with other projects......I'm using the actual parts from the  'mother ship'.   I would have been happy to have bought another kit of this vessel and recreated the extra hull for the threesome {using those parts panels as templates},  but waiting for the cash flow....I'm getting impatient!   what sucks too,  is I'm using that 1/4 inch oak panel I bought some time ago.......that stuff is a bear to sand!   yea.......you read right.......another trio.   we all know what happened to the last trio build......one left to become something better......at least,  I think so  :)    one thing I can assure you with this one....I can't back out of it.....they all have names........and will have those names from the very beginning.   when I'm ready to fly.......;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

a nice Progress to be seen, and looking better every time I visit your log...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

She's taking shape quite nicely Dennis. Starting to take on her iconic profile that we all know.  :dancetl6:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Looking good.  And another 'trio' in the wings ..... what could it be ?????????

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

well.......I'm trying to have fun........teteur me.......I bit off a bit more than I could chew with a couple projects.   just as well,  because one of the steps I took needed time to set and dry.   the stern section needed to be fixed........so two jigs had to be made to align the sides.   setting the stern section in place,  I got my measurements and made the two jigs out of basswood. 

once they were given my blessing.......finger's crossed,  they were set in place and braces made from sprue,  were cut and cemented in place.

attachicon.gif#1.jpg

attachicon.gif#2.jpg

since I'm working on the hull,  the props were cemented in place at this time.

attachicon.gif#3.jpg

the bow section has already been cemented in place.  touch ups were done.

attachicon.gif#4.jpg

a day or so passed........I did my time consuming projects around the house.  the jigs were removed and this is what I have now.

attachicon.gif#5.jpg

the hull is much more streamlined now........adding the braces pulled the sides in.   fitting the stern section back in was a snug fit........sanding the edges of the section helped eliminate this.   the tops of the bulwarks along the well was painted a flat white,  and the tops along the mid ship was painted with the insignia yellow.  when the mid ship is in place,  no black separation will be seen.

attachicon.gif#6.jpg

attachicon.gif#7.jpg

another aspect I've been working on,  is the wood tops for the railings.  I wasn't going to add this detail in due to the scale........and the face that I had already done the bow section without doing it.   now that I started with it.......I'm beginning to wish I hadn't.   the paint I'm using has been thinned down a bit.   I added some paint to it to thicken it back up........not enough I'm afraid.   the paint spread and bled down onto the lower part,  making quite a mess.   so,  I have to do some damage control on that front.

yesterday,  after whatever off the wall thing I was doing,  the wood bug took over.   I did some more work on that special project,  I have on the back burner.   making parts on the scroll saw.   I'm not using the parts panels,  as I've done with other projects......I'm using the actual parts from the  'mother ship'.   I would have been happy to have bought another kit of this vessel and recreated the extra hull for the threesome {using those parts panels as templates},  but waiting for the cash flow....I'm getting impatient!   what sucks too,  is I'm using that 1/4 inch oak panel I bought some time ago.......that stuff is a bear to sand!   yea.......you read right.......another trio.   we all know what happened to the last trio build......one left to become something better......at least,  I think so  :)    one thing I can assure you with this one....I can't back out of it.....they all have names........and will have those names from the very beginning.   when I'm ready to fly.......;)

Hi Denis

I'm intrigued now, after reading your last paragraph above. Have you started building a new trio of models? If so, can you give us any hints???

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Denis

I'm intrigued now, after reading your last paragraph above. Have you started building a new trio of models? If so, can you give us any hints???

Cheers

Patrick

G'day Denis

Like Patrick, my attention was alerted by your last sentence. I have to read it 3 times to make sure what I was reading. (I'm slow in the morning, my brain is still asleep.) MMM............ What are you doing?

Havagooday mate

Greg

thanks for the good word folks!   hopefully I can keep up with the progress for the duration of my vacation  ;)   I'm afraid it will be some time before I can even touch that project.   in the meantime,  I can cut all the hull parts that I'll need and order up some planking.   I have all the parts for the 'mother ship......the other two will be scratch built {of course}.   these three share the same {if not.....very close} hull construction.....it's how they are fitted out,  that is unique.

man..........I gotta get a wood build on the table to feed my Frankenstein   :D  :D

I wish I could say more.........I keep my fingers crossed that my circumstances don't change before I get to them

here is a hint Patrick:   all three have kits out on the market for them,  but they are all of different scale.   the  'mother ship' is 1:65......thereby,  all three will be of this scale.  I know it's not much......but I don't want to jinx it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

ok..........my flip has flopped........there will be lighting.   now that the bow and stern is on the hull for good,   the wiring was run into the hull.   I'm going with four bulbs instead of the two I tried my first test with.

post-612-0-78813400-1439608995_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-81843900-1439609007_thumb.jpg

the connections were soldered and taped up.  I hope you can see these next photos........they are dark.

post-612-0-69064700-1439609132_thumb.jpg

even through the deck,  there is some light filtration.   it does look kinda cool though......some illumination for the well decks

post-612-0-11336000-1439609230_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-68175400-1439609241_thumb.jpg

it's too late to take any measures to keep it from happening.   but.....awwww,  what the heck.   at first,  the admiral wasn't too keen on the idea.   now that she's seen it,  she likes it  :)   I will be adding a couple more lights to the bridge deck and the A deck.   it's the best I can do......any inaccessible areas will be void.    from the looks of it though,  I think there will be enough light emitted to make up for it.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: