SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Thank you very much Dave and Grant,

and all the"likes" appreciations...

I`m glad that this build finds so much interest, as it is (to my knowledge) not so often found as a model

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Nils, I don't believe that i've missed the start of this project. Your work on wood and metal is amazing... The lines of the ship are so elegant and beautiful.

I will follow with interest .

Kind regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hi Dimitris,

Thanks for your words, I saw from all your "likes" that you had a thorough look at the early and recent Posts, thanks a lot for dropping in, you`re always wellcome, and I`m glad you found this interest in the build..., Stay tuned...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Little update...

These little hatch doors will cover the openings for bunkering coal, ( 13 on each side) where the slide-chutes are placed .....

Hull is now covered with plating, and the waterline is marked, (for applying the masking tape, when painting), with an permanent ink marker

Nils

post-3445-0-54250100-1444487280_thumb.png

this, borrowed from the web, shows a dutch liner being bunkered with coal at NY Hoboken piers

post-3445-0-11232100-1444487270_thumb.jpg

the bunker hatches will bear the hinges on the top sides

post-3445-0-94081500-1444487271_thumb.jpg

The black marking is the waterline

post-3445-0-64517600-1444487274_thumb.jpg

doors not permanently mounted yet, have to coordinate the correct positions together with the portholes on that level. Just noticed, it must be one level (belt) higher, and not so near to the waterline

post-3445-0-50172600-1444487276_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-36427100-1444487278_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

That is simply staggeringly good work.  

Seems almost a shame to paint over all this wonderful plating, but l am certainly looking forward to that as well!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Nils, I built a 53 inch Titanic from French plans back in 97 and installed radio control. It was frighteningly rolly in the water. I had used cast lifeboats. In order to reduce topside wieght I took them off and carved individual ones from basswood. While it improved the performance it was still scary. We ran the boat a couple times then I took out the electronics and machinery to prevent her loss.

Your shots of bunkering are great. Do you suppose the coal funnels were added to the outside or were they folded out from the inside. In which case you'd thing the bunkering hatches would be hinged on the bottom. Also the Titanic had hatches for bailing out the ashes,which I assume was done underway. What a mess on the ocean eh? 

It fun to watch this build.   Bill ,still in Idaho

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Hi Nils,

That is simply staggeringly good work.  

Seems almost a shame to paint over all this wonderful plating, but l am certainly looking forward to that as well!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Thanks very much Nigel

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, I built a 53 inch Titanic from French plans back in 97 and installed radio control. It was frighteningly rolly in the water. I had used cast lifeboats. In order to reduce topside wieght I took them off and carved individual ones from basswood. While it improved the performance it was still scary. We ran the boat a couple times then I took out the electronics and machinery to prevent her loss.

Your shots of bunkering are great. Do you suppose the coal funnels were added to the outside or were they folded out from the inside. In which case you'd thing the bunkering hatches would be hinged on the bottom. Also the Titanic had hatches for bailing out the ashes,which I assume was done underway. What a mess on the ocean eh? 

It fun to watch this build.   Bill ,still in Idaho

Hi Bill,

amazing how well you thought about the hinge positions, you are reflecting exactly my own thoughts this morning, The only reason for "hinges on top" was for the pattern shown on the card KWdG in scale 1:250. which I sometimes use for checking dimensions... I also asked myself if it were not better to place the hinges at the bottom. I remembered the pic of bunkering at Hoboken, where the the liner seems to have the hatch covers in two doorhalves that each swing open to 180 °, this allowing the coal funnels to be set in quite easily, in case they were not built in

post-3445-0-56297400-1444490878_thumb.jpg

here hinges on top, but it may be wrong, who knows ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Our similar thinking may be due to our shared German ancestry,However, mine is 3 generations away and thinned out by scotch/irish genes.

I visited a steam sternwheeler in Canada in which the coal was bunkered aboard by handcarts. Each turnaround required 38 tons of coal to be loaded in 4hrs. The ashes were shoveled out by hand into a water washed funnel and dumped overboard into the lake. What a mess that must have been. Bill

Bill, in Idaho

With respect to the bunker doors: lookoing at the puc of the Dutch liner (ss rotterda, early twenties), you can see that the doorst hinged sideways, with no visible hinges on the outside. The hinge was inside, and on the outside there are one or two large nuts to secure th e door a(to the extreme left of the pic you can see a closed door, and left of the coalloadi g people you can see the inside of an open door.

titanic had the same construcion (as ifound out in the internet), no idea wheter or not the German liners were of the same build.

Jan

Many thanks to Bill, Johann, Crackers and Jan,

and all who expressed their "likes" by hitting the appr. button...

Bill,

that is very interesting of the 53" Titanic, must be scale 1:200, do you have any pics of the building Phase and the completed model?

How was your experience with the French plans set

Johann,

thanks for your nice words, much appreciated

Crackers,

nice comments, thats a real smooth treat for the toungue I guess, glad you follow the build log...

Jan,

thanks for your Input. Those doors have a real good kinematic Lever System in order to lock and seal tight against rough seas.

Hopefully one of our fellow builders may hold a good pic of the KWdG showing the bunker doors, and perhaps even taken from the waterside when bunkering at the pier

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Simply Amazing Nils, Beautiful work 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Did uou know this one? It is in German, but the drawings are not :) drawing of the frames (spant 116, letter d) suggest hinges on the upper side.

http://dingler.culture.hu-berlin.de/article/pj315/ar315001 in the same issue of this journal are more articles on this ship (mainly engine stuff, check on the first link on the page: band 315, it brings you at the table of contents of the issue)

Jan

Edited by amateur

Simply Amazing Nils, Beautiful work 

Best Regards,

Pete

Thank you Pete,

I`m happy that you like the build as it is to date...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Did uou know this one? It is in German, but the drawings are not :) drawing of the frames (spant 116, letter d) suggest hinges on the upper side.

http://dingler.culture.hu-berlin.de/article/pj315/ar315001 in the same issue of this journal are more articles on this ship (mainly engine stuff, check on the first link on the page: band 315, it brings you at the table of contents of the issue)

Jan

Hello Jan,

again, many thanks, a great research you did there, thanks so much. Yes, the digitilised "Polytechnisches Journal" , especialy the parts you are refering to, are the main basic document  and planwork I`m using for this build. as it is now some time since I concentrated on drawing the frames, I forgot about that detail shown on "Spant 116", Yes, there it is. .hinges shown on top, Thanks again   ;)  :rolleyes:  :)  :)

I have in the meantime looked up the Titanic`s coalport, (picture enclosed)  as you had described earlier, beautiful design, but unfortunately not available yet at time of KWdG build 1895-1897

Nils

post-3445-0-38987700-1444590229_thumb.jpg

(Pic borrowed from the web)

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, I built that model 18 years ago, Give me a day our two and I'll see what I can dig up. The guy I built it for has passed away since about 5 yrs ago and I don't know where the model went. He was autistic and quite the titanic enthusiast. I'm sure the model exist I just don't know where. Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Thanks Bill,

would be nice, I wish you luck in tracking the model you built, even if it was sold....after 18 years, not an easy Task  :huh:

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, happy birthday. Have a great day!! :dancetl6:

Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

A real joy to catch up :-)

XXXDan

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Dimitris and Patrick,

thanks very much for your birthday greetings, much appreciated... :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A real joy to catch up :-)

XXXDan

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for visiting the KWdG log, and many thanks for your kind words...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils , Looks like we share the same "B" day   have a great day.. Following your build and love what you are doing keep up the great work.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

finally getting a chance to check your progress.........fantastic!    the hull plating looks great!   coal doors and detail is awesome  ;)

have a great B- day! :36:

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hohohohohouuuups ...

Auch von mir alles Gute, happy birthday, Daniel

... how was I able to miss that one ;-)

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html