SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Happy birthday, Nils

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• Already tomorrow by the time you see this, but I hope you had a fine party.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you all so much...  Dirk - Steve - David - Denis - Daniel - Christian - Bob - Marc ,

for your Kind birthday greetings yesterday and for your nice appreciations and comments

best regards,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thank you very much Martin,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hello Nils,

I see that you have tried out a sample piece before putting your hands and tools to the job. Just one tip if I may, When it comes to drilling of port holes, this is the worst nightmare for us modelers. Passenger liners and German Warships were littered with port holes. I would strongly suggest to construct a jig tool. this can follow the deck line or the water line, according to how the portholes were actually placed. That is, if they in reality in a straight line or follow the curve of the deck lining. The jig must be able to move along the ship side. This would prevent the twist drill moving around.

If I am not mistaken and stand to be corrected on this, as time may play some tricks on my memory, I should have posted a picture of the wooden jig I made for the Scharnhorst.

Hello Paul,

I just drilled the portholes (not all yet) for the KWdG, and think now I know what you meant with ".. the worst nightmare for us modelers...", and why you recommended to make and use a jig tool for doing so.

Although I was utmost careful with the drilling ( no Jig used :o ) there were some that fell a little bit out of the alignment. For the first upper two rows I will try to mount "eyebrows", also here your comment of the last chance to get the optic a little better are still well in my mind :rolleyes:

As I`m using the porthole inserts without flanges on the outer hull skin, I wo`nt be able to file the holes a little oval in the right direction, in that case there could have been a covering of the "oval hole" by the flange to a certain degree

Nils

post-3445-0-77232000-1444923935_thumb.jpg

it is important to cut a clean hole through the metal plating foil before the wooden planking is carefully drilled through.

it gets tricky if the drill partialy hits a frame or a stringer inside the hull. This must be avoided by check before the hole-positions are marked

post-3445-0-59501900-1444923937_thumb.jpg

for the alignment at bow and stern there is a bit of vertical offset acc to the drawing and the museum model shown and built by others earlier in this log

post-3445-0-07261100-1444923940_thumb.jpg

there are 14 coalports on each side, in the largest coal bunker areas there will be no portholes on the lower porthole level.

The upper side-portholes just below the promenade deck are neighther plated nor drilled yet, because the deck must be put on first.

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, I'm not there with my micrometers, but the alignment of the portholes sure looks good to me.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Well done Nils!!! I know what you mean about the portholes...It's a nightmare.... Today I ordered the last 160 portholes for my AV from  rbmodels...

Kind Regards

Dimitris

Edited by Dimitris71

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Outstanding work, Nils - 

Your strake edges are crisp, clean and straight.  That's not easy with metal foil.  You even have the rivet heads lining up at the intersections of the vertical columns and horizontal rows.  No doubling or offset of the pattern.  Congratulations.

Coal hatches are a nice touch.  Did you solder the hinges?

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thank you very much Bob, Dimitris and Dan,

For appreciations and comments

as well as all the "likes"...

Bob,

thanks Bob, there are some mis-alignment borings, that moved out a bit, which were obviously not able to be prevented whilst drilling (except with a not existing jig tool). Hopefully I`ll do better on the other hull side

Dimitris,

I also used RB portholes on my Pamir and Gorch Fock, a good source choise. They shall look fine on your AV

Dan,

with Jan`s help (identifying one of the appropriate Frames, showing the way of opening for the coalports) I could put the hinges on the top side. Yes, the "hinges" are soft soldered, and then glued on to the hull skin

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Bob,

for your comments, I`m glad you like it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

only a small update today...

soldering the 14 ea. port side coalport doors, the starboard ones are already mounted...

Nils

post-3445-0-99797100-1445005870_thumb.jpg

the holding device is of good help when soldering with the flame

post-3445-0-80115000-1445005872_thumb.jpg

clean surfaces, the right amount of flux and careful, steady heating up provides a good joint

post-3445-0-29457100-1445005875_thumb.jpg

all 14 doors done, a cleaning with aceton shall follow next

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

HI David,

the hull above the waterline will be in dull black resp. anthrazit (charcoal, dark Grey), including These doors..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A nice Illustration, many thanks Crackers,

all people seem to be happy about dad`s b-day event...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

nice progress Nils  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Denis,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, I found,or rather my wife found, my picture of my Titanic. Turns out I built it 20 years ago. The plans were French but I got them from Taubman. The model is scratchbuilt. Bill

post-248-0-68403700-1445024509_thumb.jpg

Edited by reklein

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Fascinating! Hinges smaller than 1mm, and as it is not enough - soldered !!!

You are real wizard Nils

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nils, I found,or rather my wife found, my picture of my Titanic. Turns out I built it 20 years ago. The plans were French but I got them from Taubman. The model is scratchbuilt. Bill

Bill,

that really is a very impressive model, and the sideboard below is just long enough for the distribution glass-case, Well done

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Fascinating! Hinges smaller than 1mm, and as it is not enough - soldered !!!

You are real wizard Nils

Thank you Nenad,

you`re right with the hinges, they are made from 0,6mm brass wire, and soldered in 0,6mm drilled holes, the plates are 6 x 5 mm and 0,5 mm thick brass plates

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The anchors,

found these good looking and scaled heavy metal anchors, in nostagic design of 1900 in a Hamburg based modeling web shob.

The parts are of castings and have to be deburred, the vertical bar and the hole in the spike-base have to be reworked a little larger, I`m glad I found them, love that nostalgic look with the long spikes.

Two will go at the bow, one at stern and two in the spare anchor supports on the forecastle deck

Nils

post-3445-0-50476000-1445072902_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-08753500-1445072904_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47365900-1445072905_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Dimitris,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 23

little update

not much this time, but it keeps the wheel turning...

Nils

post-3445-0-57053500-1445447380_thumb.jpg

in this lower deck area there are the bulwark doors for the kay gangways

post-3445-0-35417700-1445447382_thumb.jpg

mended two misalignment portholes with wooden dowels and drilled new...

post-3445-0-08373800-1445447384_thumb.jpg

upper forecasle side-rail, and aft forecastle-deck bulwark

post-3445-0-73113000-1445447385_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-24650500-1445447387_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you David,

your comment is very much appreciated.., I`m also quite happy with the Project so far. Presume that doing the superstructure will be far more ambitious...

Nils

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Okay, I also need a new Thesaurus as I'm lost for words. Brilliant work Nils - I'm really enjoying following your progress here.