SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse 1897 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line

Fine, careful work as always, Nils.  And of course I'm amazed at how you can move along so expeditiously.  And it just occurred to me that you aren't facing a rigging job on this beauty, so you'll be getting to the home stretch pretty soon.  Bravissimo!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

thank you very much Martin,

yes, it was quite a swift ride to date...., on 26th Nov. it will be 6 months since project start, and in the beginning I thought it certainly would have taken longer to achieve this stage. But now I have to (scale) draw and design every detail, such as superstructure, decks, platforms, boats, railings, vent-hoods, and... and...... so the "home stretch run" is by far not in sight yet.

Here on a borrowed pic from the web, it shows the card version of the KWdG in scale  1:250, where you can see that even the fore-mast bears shrouds with ratlines, and there are many stays and backstays for funnels, etc...For the lifeboats and for the vent hoods I have a good solution in mind already....

I think I`ll do the stern decoration and then make a pause on this project and complete my HMS Pegasus first

Nils

post-3445-0-02996000-1448378196_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

catching up Nils........the norm lately.   she looking great in her new colors......the hull detail is fantastic.  you've truly come a long way since I last saw her  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good morning Denis,

I saw that you took quite an extensive look into the build when catching up, and thanks for all the likes. After putting on the Stern decoration I`ll make a break though, so that my HMS Pegasus may be completed first. Stern name and depth-markings are on, but the golden colored decorations and the home-port`s name (Bremen) are still to be fitted, here some impressions of the "dry-dock" views....  I`m so pleased with the experience with the borderline (Black / red) painting, after Dirk`s suggestion, and in combination with masking, that I can only recommend this further on to fellow modelers 

Nils

post-3445-0-02996500-1448529411_thumb.jpg

depth markings

post-3445-0-12775500-1448529424_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-13494400-1448529436_thumb.jpg

relation, figurine in scale 1:144

post-3445-0-82356600-1448529451_thumb.jpg

aft name in 3mm high etched brass letters

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Many thanks to Grant and Dirk,

and thanks to all the "likes"

Grant,

thanks for your nice words, much appreciated

Dirk,

thanks for your Kind comment,  und...., kein Wunder bei dem guten tip, and that was really an "aha" effect

Nils

The KWdG way back in 1907 once lost it`s rudder during an Atlantic crossing on her way from NY back to Europe due to unsufficient strength of rudderpost and -heel. The officers guided the ship safely to Plymouth and even further to Germany with individual use of the propellors and continious rpm Setting of the two individual engines. The repair (new rudder) then took place in Hamburg at Blohm & Voss shipyard.

Here I found an interesting pic showing the removal of the aft rudder-heel in the drydock. It was de-riveted from the Frames and ribs and drawn away backwards on Special made, greased wooden slipways and skids. The new part was slipped back in on the same way

post-3445-0-15317000-1448542669_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Now Nils , This is what we call a great job!!!! :) Very beautiful ship indeed!!

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

thank you very much Patrick and Dimitris,

for your appreciations, and the "likes"

for the stern decorations I am still experimenting with the twisted brass chord, how to fasten it best. Some of the decoration is  meanwhile mounted

Nils

post-3445-0-21586100-1448547028_thumb.jpg

here the different lengths of the propshafts are to be seen

post-3445-0-31132800-1448547031_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-26682800-1448547034_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93024000-1448547035_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-17764600-1448547038_thumb.jpg

this is twisted brass wire cord diam. 1,6 mm, usualy used to hang framed pictures to the wall, but I must fasten it to the hull somehow. Probably with soldered in pins smaller that the ones for the first trial....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Just Beautiful Nils, incredible workmanship 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Many thanks to Crackers and Pete,

Crackers,

herzlichen Dank, ein wunderschönes Kompliment ! Thanks so much

Pete,

I`m glad you like this build Pete, it probably will be the most challenging one I`ve started by now

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, I would have never guessed this is the most challenging build, that you have done. The detail work is incredible

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nils what a great looking model you are building, The painting pictures surprised me, what type of paints are you painting with, I know you have probably already mentioned it but I cannot remember.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

many thanks Pete and Michael,

Pete,

surely , it will Keep that old brain on thinking ahead how the next sequences can be done and what material can be used..... 

Michael,

I use the black paint : it`s a dull heat resistant thermo-paint on Silicone Basis used foe oven pipes Motor parts, and exhaust Systems. 125 ml can for brush application. 

I purchased this from my local Crafter

The red paint : it`s a premium high solid Content resin based paint, Ral 3000, fire red,  silk finish 125 ml can, for brush appllication

Nils

post-3445-0-36420700-1448554322_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Nils.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

As always your doing a marvelous job.  I like the props.  Did you make them or were the purchased?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Bob,

thank you for your word....

props self made see my post #17 of this thread.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

awesome job Nils.........sweet looking decorations ;)     yea.......I'm one of those  'angle painters'.......airbrush over tape.   sounds like a great tip to me  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

You've done a magnificent build on her, Nils.  I'm in awe.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Many thanks to Denis and Mark,

and all the "likes"

Denis,

it`s not airbrush I`m using, just an ordinary medium sized paintbrush (like used for watercoloring)

Mark,

thanks for your words and also for all the "likes"

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

oh,  I knew that Nils........but the problem can also exist in airbrushing as well.  angling the spray downward from the tape line can negate some of it,  but if you put too thick a coat on,  it can happen.   not sure if you have it in your country,  but I use what they call 'Frog tape'.......it's a green color tape.   works so well,  I've dared to use it twice.......not too often though,  I don't like to tempt fate  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

thanks for pointing out the "frog tape" , I `m not familiar with it yet, but will Keep eyes open, if it Comes across my way, sounds interesting....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thanks Dirk,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, I just finished going through your log and it is simply amazing. Your craftsmanship is outstanding, I especially admire you for your talent of taking everyday items and incorporating them into your build. This is the kind of log that not only shows a true craftsman at work but also teaches the rest of us how to overcome so many of the hurdles in this hobby.

Thanks

Fine work, Nils.  I look forward to seeing all the topside detail.

Ed

Hi Don,

thanks very much for taking an informative deep dive into the log, and for your Kind words, very much appreciated.

Yes it`s right, I always have eyes open for "everyday things" that can be transformed into something that is just needed, or will be needed later on.

For example, old candle holders from flea markets give nice pedestals for a stand-plate....

I Have luck that my wife easily understands if I tell her what I`m looking for in the Moment or for later on, and so have a second pair of eyes on the watchout...

On the other side I love to find solutions for things that I thought could not be realized at first look.

I`m glad the log is of interest to you, and that you had fun going through it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Fine work, Nils.  I look forward to seeing all the topside detail.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your word...

I`m preparing to  complete the stern decoration next and then to make a break for this project , in order to finalize My HMS Pegasus project first

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update on stern decoration....

Thats about what I can do (decoration), it`s also getting too fiddely now, more would be too much...

Early next week the stb-side can be done

Nils

post-3445-0-28431600-1448736414_thumb.jpg

the twisted wire chord left / right are fastened each with 7 pinpoints

post-3445-0-35663800-1448736634_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-54556300-1448826902_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-84967800-1448826904_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-78903400-1448826953_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A stunning stern, Nils. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Many thanks for your nice comments Crackers and Mark,

They are much appreciated    :) :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed