SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse 1897 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line

Piet,

thank you very much for that nice compliment...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thank you very much Lawrence,

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Top notch work, Nils.  It's those eye-catching complicated fittings that make your work so captivating.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Dan,

many thanks, your nice comment is very much appreciated....

also thanks to all fellow modelers for the "likes" related to the build so far....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Vielen Dank Dirk,

its getting a bit better with every week....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils -- It's been a while since I've checked in.  The work on the winches is, of course, spectacular.  I hope your neck starts feeling better soon.  Have you worked with a physical therapist?  After a few horse accidents, I found that the therapists who taught me how to move and how to hold my head and shoulders did more than doctors and pills to alleviate the pain in the long term.

Best wishes,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

thank you for your words and for compliments on the winches....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your compliment and your good wishes...... My health is improving now day by day, and I`m very happy and grateful with that. Today started a slight carry on with the work again and cut and soldered the the brass tube-bits of the tapered foremast together.

I saw in your signiture that you`ve taken over The "HMY Royal Caroline" from our freind Greg. (the peg leg sailor) Please pass on good wishes and all the best to him.

The R.C. with open port side, showing all decks and in 1:32 "super scale" sounds a great project ! Is it a kit or scratch build ? Will you be starting a build log here.... ?

Nils

post-3445-0-23780100-1461414175_thumb.jpg

bottom diam. 6,5 mm, tapered in 5 steps to top 2 mm, length 330 mm

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils

I can answer that question for you. It's a scratch build and yes he will be doing a log.

On a personal note, I'm so pleased that you are getting better and that you are doing work again. I take it that all was good with the doctor today.

Havagooday my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks very much Greg,

yes, the doc. did give me confedence that he will be able to get all right again by means of certain injections to the nerve root area, so no surgery ! no more upset...

For the Royal Caroline scratch build in 1: 32 as I am very curious of what will come, it must be quite a "beast".....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, glad the injection helped.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you very much  Bob,

BTW, did you meantime find some better plans for a 26 ft. Navy motor workboat for "Pequot" ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Another member was kind enough to send me plans for the 24ft launch.  It looks very much like the boats in the picture.  Now all I have to do is build two at 3" (76mm).

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

G'day Nils

I presume that you will have Cortisone Injections at he nerve endings. That good mate, they help me a lot many years ago.

Greg.ashwood will be doing a post very soon to explain the process.

Havagooday my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Build log part 32

Building the foremast with attachment stations for the two derrick booms with double pivot joints to the mast, and several eyelets for fastening blocks, stays and flaglines. The spreader for the  shrouds is fixed already, Ladder, crows nest, flag-boom and lantern brackets are still missing

Nils

post-3445-0-02994000-1461668785_thumb.jpg

rigging of derrick booms

post-3445-0-93603600-1461668508_thumb.jpg

elevation stages of the mast

post-3445-0-78637600-1461668471_thumb.jpg

joints with double pivots for the derrick cargo booms

post-3445-0-32174000-1461668473_thumb.jpg

the rake of the foremast will be same as the funnels later on

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thanks Patrick,

it feels good to be back on deck again   ;).....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nice work on the mast and booms.

Bob

Nice work on the mast and booms.

Bob

Thank you very much Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Good to see you`re back!

Fine soldering work on that mast, will be some work to rigg this!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Lovely work on the mast and it's great to see that you can get back into the shipyard, Nils.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nils,

YES nice to see you back as well. I also very much enjoy following your build. Be well (:-)

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Gerhard, John, Mark, Michael, 

and the "likes".....

Thanks so much for your good wishes and compliments ....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

Glad to see you back at the drawing and building board ... You've created a very impressive fore mast, beautiful metalwork ... it shows you are eager to continue

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thank you very much Carl,

It`s fun to carry on..... this morning I made the crow`s nest, the lantern brackets, and am dry fitting the access ladder....

For the lanterns I have something in mind, but have to do trials first

Nils

post-3445-0-50267700-1461758177_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you very much Druxey,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

glad to see you've returned Nils...........and what a great way to start!   the mast looks awesome.......and since I last posted {but forgot to hit the post button}, you've added more  ;)   very nice work Nils!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch