SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse 1897 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line

looking good Nils...nice start on the winches and boats  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yes, that's it Nils, at that small scale we must by necessity "fool the viewer's eye."  In art that is called "trompe l'oeil."  We can go batty reducing reality to the scale of 1:144.  It was a different story with my father's submarine, the O19, at a scale of 1:50.  There I managed with some difficulty to make the deck torpedo launcher doors operable.  

IF by chance you can file a few very small grooves into the edge of the discs for the toothed wheels that are visible you may still get away with it.  Let the viewer's brain complete the picture.

If they are guarded like Steve's photos show then mimicking the gears becomes a moot point.

Nice work on the winch prototype Nils. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

many thanks to - Grant - Steve - Kees - Greg - Dan - Denis,

and all the "likes"

Grant,

nice compliment, much appreciated...

Steve,

lovely pics I like, nice sturdy nostalgic equipment, there surely are some details to study, for example the crosshead slide guide only on the underside. I also found  some inspirating pics on the web.....

Kees,

special thanks to your comment relating to the lifeboat cover ;), will keep that in mind....

Greg,

appreciate and thank you for your kind remark for the strake width, I was already thinking of taking the momentary aluminium "clinker strips" down from the small boats hull and doing them over again, we`ll see (at least for a "fair compromise" to visual aspect)

Denis,

these are always the little things that go around in my mind, and I do some trials now and then for to determine the final version to be built...

Dan,

the idea was to use some suitable brass stock that could possibly do for the machine framing in one piece, the last winch-frames I made in scale 1:96 had to be soldered together from several bits, and the fixing in position for soldering was quite some fiddeling work

Piet,

many thanks for your comment to resembling the wheel-Teeth per file in the visible portions. The wheel transmission guard on one of Steve`s pics was also first thing that my eye caught when looking at that related pic (having same thoughts as yours...)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nice work on the winch Nils.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for your compliments on the winch Patrick and Michael,

that tooth-wheel question did`nt leave my mind cool all the time, here`s what I did with some odd polycarbonate wheels out of my "leftovers" box. Think its better than to quit the toothwheels not showing up....

Further there is a bracket mounted which takes up the two cylinders, one side already bears a piston rod (to be shortend)

I`ll try to chemically blacken the winch framework, when the appropriate parts are ready. Up to this stage every part is repeatable

Nils

post-3445-0-30161900-1456947962_thumb.jpg

the crankshaft is not mounted yet. It will all be a quite compact design....

post-3445-0-04037400-1456947968_thumb.jpg

size relation to the pin

post-3445-0-60054400-1456947970_thumb.jpg

shafts and wheels dismounted for soldering the cylinder carrying bracket

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

I wish I could be at your workshop when you are making that thing Nils.  I could learn many things.

David B

Edited by dgbot

The first picture of the winch looked great... and now it appears to actually work?  Gears with teeth at that scale.  Wow....  talk about inspirational work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice going Nils!  Looks like you are applying the KISS principle :)

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

here`s what I did with some odd polycarbonate wheels out of my "leftovers" box.

They look a bit like old printer gears.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Nils

Looks good with the gearwheels. Much better than before, more realistic.

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Thank you very much - David - Mark -  Piet - Michael - Gerhard,

for your kind remarks....

And all the "likes"...

David,

as I posess neigther lathe nor milling machine it is all designed and made with and for my regulary house tooling..., for lathing I use my drilling machine and a sawblade as chissel, nothing special, "K.I.S.S principle" as Piet says

Mark,

sorry it wo`nt work, but probably it looks as if it could..., the two top shafts bear gear-wheels, but the crankshaft wont, because they would`nt be seen anyhow and I ran out of gear-wheels for to cover those as well 

Piet,

K.I.S.S, yes, that`s the right obligation, there often come some thoughts for improvement while I`m doing it

Michael,

lucky for me I still had a limited amount of spare gear wheels ( they are usualy used for variating the gear reduction on mini RC servos, ruddermachines), but the Austrian source does not distribute these priceworthy gear-sets any more, and I have`nt found them anywhere else on the web...since

Gerhard,

thanks, nice compliment, I think I`ll change the shaft from brass to steel, they do`nt bend / distort so easy

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

What kind of magic you use Nils? I stayed voiceless and breathless. Really really great work

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

looking really good Nils  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you very much Nenad and Denis,

for your kind comments

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

Prototyp winch is now complete (requires a few paint touch ups)

Two of these winches go on the forecastle deck and one on the forward waist deck, behind the foremast

Two reciprocating steam drives mounted, also outer winding drums and brake. The framework was chemically blackend.

2 of these winches go on the forecastle deck and one on the forward waist deck, behind the foremast

Nils

post-3445-0-21897200-1457119532_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, The winch is looking great!  It's a good thing there are fewer of them than cowl vents :rolleyes:

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Thank you very much Steve, John and Patrick,

for your appreciations....

Steve,

yes now that I know it can be done, it`s a bit more relaxing to do the other 5 winches

John,

Thanks, I`m glad you like it

Patrick,

Thanks, I`m satisfied myself with the result, glad you like it too

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi nils

Well made, how did you colour the gear wheels? I`v tried several tims to paint that Plastic wheels, nothing worked out well.

Regards

Gerhard

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Finished models

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

Thank you Gerhard,

for the wheels I applied Humbrol enamel #16 Met, bronze color (metallic, small 14 ml can)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

So the Humbrol seems to be better for that than the Revell coluors I always use. I must try them on my next winch. Thank you for advise!

Regards

Gerhard

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

USS CAIRO

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

Finished models

Simply Amazing Nils, Beautiful work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks very much Pete,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Yup, very convincing looking winches Nils, great job.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

thanks very much Piet,

once the prototype is made, the learning curve sets in and the remaining 5 winches ca`nt go wrong any more. One needs to be mirrored.

Nils

post-3445-0-40355700-1457259095_thumb.jpg

The horizontal holes for the 3 axis are drilled by means of a template, taken from the prototype

The upper side contours still to be filed into shape. For the large gear wheel it requires a little freecut in the front side. I`m so happy that it worked out like it was intended

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Ah yes, the assembly line is up and running. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray