• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you everyone for the well wishes! My eye is healing quite nicely.

I've put together a very basic mini tutorial and hope it may be of help to someone.

I bought a brass turned cannon, of the correct scale for my ship, to use as a reference model.

I had a piece of round plastic dowel on hand, which I carved and sanded until it was the same size as the reference model.

Next, I cut paper trapezoids and rolled them around the plastic dowel, and sealed with some white glue. The dowel ensured that all my cannons would be the same.

post-167-0-60492900-1422227006_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-66386300-1422227008_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-35284400-1422227014_thumb.jpg

Next up, I marked the location for each ring, by comparing to the reference model and cut very thin strips of paper and glued them in place. This can be tricky since the paper tube is narrow at one end and the strip naturally wants to spiral up the tube.

post-167-0-95635700-1422227016_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-51095800-1422227043_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-61926600-1422227051_thumb.jpg

The cascabels/miniature mushrooms :P  :rolleyes: , were fashioned from polymer clay, then baked and glued in place. I had tried carving them from a wood dowel, but decided that clay would be a faster option.

post-167-0-25474000-1422227079_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-09431000-1422227085_thumb.jpg

At this point the "bore" was added. I dipped a toothpick in white glue and applied a thin film around the inside of the end of the cannon. Once dry I repeated once or twice more as needed.

post-167-0-90207200-1422227097_thumb.jpg

This picture is a repeat from my last update, but it gives a good idea of the different stages.

post-167-0-78209100-1422227100_thumb.jpg

Finally, a couple of thin layers of flat black acrylic were added and allowed to dry, followed by dry-brushing with yellow-ochre that was tamed down with a little brown.

post-167-0-41007600-1422227350_thumb.jpg

This last picture shows the finished paper cannon beside the original brass cannon, which I also painted. 

post-167-0-07801300-1422227355_thumb.jpg

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Edited by Sherry

I've been asked 'Paper or Plastic' but, until now, never 'Paper or Brass?  I can't tell the difference !!!!!

Could you mention how you made the trunnions?

I knew I had forgotten something. The trunnions are made from something very unusual. I just happened to have a selection of gramophone needles which are the perfect scale for my cannons.

Thank-you Piet, Augie and Edwin!

Piet: I think the "impossible to tell" is a lovely compliment, but a more accurate description might be: "not too noticeably different at a quick glance" and I'm happy with that.  ;)

Augie: I think we all do what we have to do and use what we can. I've always re-purposed things as often as possible.

Edwin: And those used "scratchy" needles are now cannon trunnions.

Thank-you Wayne, Michael and Ed!

Michael: Yes, I am a bit of a pack rat. We have a working floor model gramophone, and unless you buy tungsten tipped or fibre needles, then you can only use the needle once or twice at most. The steel tip dulls and rounds, thus making the groove in the record wider if used multiple times.

Ed: I would love to be able to say that I spent hours researching and sourcing the best of papers, but I confess to using what I had on hand. Please see the next reply for the answer...

Wayne: :D  :D  :D  :D Close......paper from a HP copier. I'm tempted to buy a Canon copier just so I can use your line!!!

Also have to add that I wish it was a canon copier because I'm getting quite weary of making them individually.  :D

Edited by Sherry