USCG Pequot (WARC-58) by Cap'n'Bob - 1:96 - Finished

Ken, Popeye and Carl,  Thanks for the comments.  As I said before, it's the details that give a model a wow factor.  The more the better.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

............... it's the details that give a model a wow factor.  The more the better.

Bob

Absolutley correct! there can not be too much details.

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Lawrence, Before you buy all those parts, you need to try and make them. I've seen your work, you can do it.  Look at what some of the other members do.  Nils for one, may have more experience (I don't know) but I believe he said his only power tool is a drill press.  There are parts of the Pequot that I have put off building, thinking 'how in the hell do I do that part'.  Then I'll see something on MSW that clicks and I'll build it.  It may not be the best part, and I may throw the first few away, but now I know I can do it.  So try.  Knowing you did it yourself is what scratch building is all about.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Your right Lawrence, I’m lax in my entries.  I’m envious of those modelers who seem to have the camera in their hands at all times.  When I’m building I don’t even think about pictures until afterwards then it’s like, ‘I should have taken pictures’.  But then of course it’s too late.   Anyway I’ve been making some of the parts for the foredeck.  It will be crowded by the time I’m through.  The part are only set in place but here is where I am now.

Bob

post-513-0-97563100-1467653125_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-61497000-1467653138_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Good work Bob,

the fitting out with deck equipment and machinery looks very nice...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Bob

We may not be able to see photos of how you make the individual parts of your boats, but we certainly get to enjoy the final results each time you post an update.

The forepeak with all of her machinery is looking really nice.  Well done!

Cheers

Patrick

adding to the awesome Bob?    looking sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Patrick, Popeye, Nils and Frank,  Thanks you all for the encouraging words. 

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

It’s time to start some rigging.  The mast is a brass tube with a wooden tapered piece on top.  The boom mount is plastic as are the nav. light mounts.  The nav. lights are brass tubing with clear tubbing inside and a colored stick inside that to show red or white. The foredeck parts are in place so I could mount the boom crutch and measure for the boom.  The Pequot website gave good plans for the ship as made but the modifications after she was transferred to the Coast Guard were never documented.  So when it comes to details most of it has to come from the pictures.

I just noticed, looking at the pictures, that although the drawings show portholes (lights) in the hull they do not show in any of the pictures.  Now I have to go back and fill them and repaint the hull. Ah well.

Bob

post-513-0-47163600-1468867704_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-47204000-1468867715_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-33552700-1468867728_thumb.jpg

Nice progress Bob,

also mast, loadboom and lanterns well done..... :)

do you have rudder and props already ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thanks Nils, I have the blades for the two props cut out but not soldered to the hub.  The props and rudder may be the last things to go onto the ship.

Bob

Bob, your build is coming along nicely, it's all those little details that bring it to life.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

I agree, Steamschooner. "I's all those little details that bring it to life".  Now, like you, it's time for the ships boats.  Hope I do as good as you.

Thanks Patrick, it was, all the  "heaps of charm and character" that made me want to build this boat.

Thank you all for the "likes".

Bob

I'm imagining that your going to have back stays......are there any shrouds as well?  well done on the boom and fore deck...masting and lights are neat too :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Bob,

Just catching up after some busy time away from MSW - the Pequot looks great! That's a neat trick you learned for the vents- thanks for the tutorial.

She certainly has that mid-century feel to her - very classic looking. Can't wait to see the details come together! And, I know what you mean about pictures. I have to discipline myself to take them, else I would get in the groove and skip a whole bunch.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Thanks Ben, glad to see you're back.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to take a break from the Pequot itself and build the three ships boats.  There were two launches which may have been alike, but I wanted to make then different, and one dory.  The two launches which are 2.75 inches long will be mounted amidships and the dory is 2.5 inches long and will be at the port stern.    Now it’s back to the Pequot.  There’s still a lot to do on the main deckhouse, rails on the upper deck, and on, and on. 

We’ll just have to wait and see what Bob will do next.

Bob

post-513-0-27815600-1470266700_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-97640800-1470266711_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-94547300-1470266722_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-15703800-1470266734_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-02683100-1470266746_thumb.jpg

Bob,Good looking boats, they will look great on your project.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Lovely boats, Bob.  I like the fact they're slightly different.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I decided to take a break from the Pequot itself and build the three ships boats.  There were two launches which may have been alike, but I wanted to make then different, and one dory.  The two launches which are 2.75 inches long will be mounted amidships and the dory is 2.5 inches long and will be at the port stern.    Now it’s back to the Pequot.  There’s still a lot to do on the main deckhouse, rails on the upper deck, and on, and on. 

We’ll just have to wait and see what Bob will do next.

Bob

attachicon.gifDSCF0160.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0187.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0191.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0193.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0196.JPG

Nice work on the boats job Bob,

they certainly will look super on your Pequot.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you all for the kind words.  Yes, once I convinced myself that I could make boats that small. they were fun to build.  Now all I have to do is convince myself that I can make the two props at .125" (3mm) diameter.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Bob

seeing how well you did with the ship's boats,  you should have very little trouble with the props  ;)    boats look nicely done.......I like the dory :)    very well done indeed  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Patrick,  I'm not planning on making the props until near the end of the build so they do not get damaged.  But this website shows the way I like to build props of any size.  http://www.rideaunautical.ca/articles.php?article=propeller

But for the small props of the ships boats I will cut notches in a flat sheet, to form blades, and twist the blades to shape. They will only be .125 - .156 inches (3 - 4 mm) in diameter.  Hope this helps.

Bob

Hi Cap'nBob 

Good luck with your prop building, golly but they sure are little, they will be a challenge in them selves, 

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence, I'll need all the luck I can get.  But if Patrick can do it on Majellan, . . .  Well I hope I can.

Bob