Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

railings look great Piet  :)      the overall shots are so cool.........really great detail!    you've done a superb job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Omega....I hear both sides (NC vs SC) claimed victory (who can argue). This is the same result every year. Also, no one has ever actually seen either of their boats. Hmmmm. :)

Piet....seriously, your latest progress is absolutely amazing, as usual. True genius.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Wow and a double wow, I'm overwhelmed by all your likes and responses.

Where do I begin by thanking all of you, Omega, Wacko Joe, Ian, Jan, John Lad, Dave, Mark and Popeye.

Okay, Omega asked about the speed submerged.  Top speed underwater is 9 knots but can only be sustained for 20 minutes thill the batteries die.  Top speed on the surface is 19 knots.  Naturally, they would use much lower speeds under water, like 3 to 5 knots.

Jan, you certainly are a joker - - -  making turnbuckles he says and that with a straight face and at this scale no less  ;) There are limits to anyone's abilities - - - but it's possible.  All we need to do is make the tap and dies to cut the threads in the barrels and ends, then we need some REAL fine steel for the ends, then we need really small safety clips - - - hmmm, I like to see somebody make the tools.  Keep dreaming my friend but thanks for your confidence in me and for your compliments - - I love it.  

Turnbuckles - - -  :D  ;)  :rolleyes:   Turnbuckles . . . . . . I'm going to dream about turnbuckles  :o  :rolleyes:

Hey Dave, I can see them subs racing with my sonar vision - - - it's a dead heat, nose to nose, photo finish.  And thans for your compliments as well.

Ian, that sepia pic looks great.  I didn't think about trying to make a few in black and white.  I am striving to make the model look as close as I can to the way my father knew her and with all the comments I have received about the likeness that makes me very happy with the result.  After all, that was the aim with this project and am glad that some of you have challenged me to add more detail.  As soon as the deck railings are completed I'll take her outside and make a few good pics with my big Cannon camera.

I don't mean to ignore the rest of yuns that commented but I'm on overtime now, i.e. it's way past my bed time.  I'm thankful for having all of you as friends. 

Did not accomplish much today.  I did manage to correct the two stanchions that were too tall.  It looks much better now.  I completed making the starboard stanchions in the rough state.  Had to take Gwen out to the drugstore  and then the grocery store for stuff.  Then I prepped for dinner, Gwen wanted nasi goreng, that's fried rice Indonesian style - - - yummo :P  :dancetl6:  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello friends,

I have been quietly and slowly working on the O19.  I finished the starboard railing, which worked out better then the port side.  At least I didn't have to go back and redo two stanchions  ;)   All of them are as close to being correct as possible, at least I'm happy with the results.

Then it was off to installing the sense antenna.  This one is laced to a steel cable that runs from the port side of the con to the bow and back to the starboard side.  

I used 0.2 mm brass wire for the support cable and stretched it to make it harder and stiff.  I had already made the bow attaching hook a few months ago but now I had to put both ends of the support cable into the hook assembly and solder them.  I also cut a bunch of 1 mm brass tubing into 0.5 mm pieces to act as simulated tension devices.  (sorry Amateur Jan, just simulated  ;) )  The antenna cable tensioners I used when I was running an aircraft repair facility were some ver nifty gizmos.  The were internally spring loaded and the cable is attached at one end and the other end to the airframe.  

These were all soldered to the support cable at their appropriate locations per the drawings I have.  I took the finest black sewing thread for the actual antenna cable and laced that to the support cable at set intervals.  The lacing cords I made up from splitting the sewing thread and used the two nylon filaments inside the tread.  This is thinner then fly-tying thread and strong too. 

I used clear nail polish to secure the lacing to the support cable with the antenna cable and tried to leave a few sagging like loops.  In real life the weight of the antenna cable will sag naturally between the lacings.

Well, it looks like that most of the hard work is done except for painting the railing and general paint touch-up, the replacement of the ship's numbers, the boarding ladder and the dingy.  

Remco was able to obtain new white numbers with black outlines that are printed on clear decal paper.  I am mighty obliged to him for his help.  He was not happy himself with the color mismatch and now I can just put these new decals right over the paint, awesome :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

That'll be my next project before painting.  I don't know how much damage I may occur by removing the decals.  I did already spray them with a sealer so soaking with water may not work.  But then again, touching up paint is not a big problem for me.  After I'm done no one will ever notice :D

Okay, here are a few pics of my efforts of the last few days.

post-1399-0-20791400-1411005498_thumb.jpg

This shows the antenna installation and the starboard railing.  Emphasis is on the antenna.  The details I mentioned above may be visible when you enlarge the picture.  We can now find our way by using radio beacons or low frequency broadcast stations.  On the last picture you'll see the DF antenna.

post-1399-0-71893800-1411005536_thumb.jpg

I made a close-up for a more detailed look at where the support cable is attached to the torpedo loading boom bridge.  Those two and three little humps are the tensioners.

post-1399-0-57317300-1411005551_thumb.jpg

This is a detail pic of the con side antenna hoop-up.  You can see where the antenna cable is routed through a conduit down to the radio / navigation room.  That round black thingy is the Direction Finder antenna or DF for short.  It works real well after you get used to it, "flying the nul" as we called it.  When I learned to fly I learned how to operate it and of course the VOR.  Things have evolved to Satellite Navigation and now to GPS.  But when my father sailed on this boat this was the best available with "shooting the sun or the stars."

If anyone sees anything that needs attention or fixing please tell me now or forever hold your peace  ;)

Cheers, 

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

WOW Piet!

It´s amazing to see al last that beauty with all the stuff on the deck and everythin done. I don´t know how many tons weights a torpedo but i would put some more "tension" on that little rod (chain) that holds it by making it on a "V" and sharp shape rather than the smooth curve that it does.Don´t know if I have explaiened myself...

Best wishes Piet!

wow Piet

absolutely stunning

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

love how you did that Piet..........communication up  and running........and looking REAL good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Piet the model continues to improve with all the details she is looking great.

Jan, you certainly are a joker - - -  making turnbuckles he says and that with a straight face and at this scale no less  ;) There are limits to anyone's abilities - - - but it's possible.  All we need to do is make the tap and dies to cut the threads in the barrels and ends, then we need some REAL fine steel for the ends, then we need really small safety clips - - - hmmm, I like to see somebody make the tools.  Keep dreaming my friend but thanks for your confidence in me and for your compliments - - I love it.  

Piet you could have a look at these Turnbuckles that are for 1:87 scale

Glad to here the surgery went well on the carpel tunnel, from personal experience I know that in a few weeks she will be a much happier camper.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Sjors is calling Piet.......Sjors is calling Piet........Sjors is calling Piet.......

Can you hear me Piet ?

Great job on that antenna stuff....now let's see if it works.

Sjors

Hello Piet, I am with everyone else just Stunning, Beautiful work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks to everyone who visited and your like votes and all those who commented.

Hi Andy,  :blush:  Okay, it's dyslexia I tell you, dyslexia you understand- - - and I'm sticking to that excuse  :rolleyes:  :o  ;)  :)  :)   Hey, stupid is as stupid does.  Thanks for the find.  It'll be fixed tomorrow morning.

Hoi Remco, thanks for the compliment and re the decals?  They are history my friend.  I removed all the old decals this morning.  The only areas I needed to repaint were the con.  The decals kinda bleached the paint underneath, so I just sanded it down with extra fine sandpaper, masked it out and resprayed it.  I did the same with the starboard bow section.  The port bow and both sides on the stern are okay.  I'll let the enamel paint cure for a day or so before I put the new decals on.

Hi Wacko Joe, that's a very nifty way of remembering what's port and what's starboard.  That doesn't work in Dutch though ;)   Hmmmm, can I use that for an excuse - - - nah, I'll stick with dyslexia - - - to safe face  ;)   

Hello Harvey, good seeing you here again and thanks for the compliment.  Yup, the torpedo that's hanging in the sling is from wood and is a little light.  Actually, I'm way ahead of you.  I just happen to have purchased an aluminum rod for that purpose.  I'll be making an aluminum torpedo to hang in that sling so it'll look more realistic.  The wooden ones are for display on the final display board with some other stuff  :)   I already have two torpedoes loaded in the deck launcher.

Hmmm, that means that the dingy may also be too light.  ummm, a brass dingy????  :o

Hi Piper Joe, thank you for the compliment and you are always welcome here in my shipyard.  Yes, I like to think that my father would approve of the model.  Of course there are a few folks here who have helped in this effort and also keeping me straight on errors.

Well hello Andrieke, it's so good seeing you here, we missed you greatly.  We even send an APB out to find you.  Looking forward to updates on your build.  Thank you for the compliments my fiend.  Stay well.

Hi Popeye, thank you for the compliments, appreciate it very much.

Hello Michael, thank you as well and also for the URL.  I may just buy a few items from them.  Some of the things I didn't make because it's just too difficult and time consuming can still be replaced with store-bought parts to enhance authenticity.  As I mentioned in several posts, I strived to making everything myself or have friends make them, rather then buying parts from vendors.  It's perhaps my stubborn streak in using only "homemade" parts.  Raw material is of course understandable.  

Hoi Hans, van harte dank voor de compliment - - you are most kind.

Hallo Sjors - - Piet op de O19 rapporteert, over.  Hell Sjors, Piet on the O19 checking in, do you read?  

Thank you my friend, she's slowly taking shape. 

Hi Pete, thank you !!!

Hello Dave, also my thanks to you for your kind words.  Yes, it was / is indeed a fun and challenging build.  There's still a lot more planned for her, we are not done yet but those things will be on the back burner.  

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello again.  This morning I took the bull by the horns and removed all the old decals.  If I have to repaint the effected areas then so be it.  As it turned out I only had to repaint both sides of the con and the starboard bow.  The paint on the con was discolored under the decals and with placing one before,  the paint just looked terrible because i used a brush to repaint it.  Just a sanding with some fine sandpaper, then wiping with a damp rag with enamel paint thinner, masking the area and shoot with a few coats of enamel paint.  

Sorry Remco, I was going to send you a personal message regarding this but got so wrapped up with this that it was your bedtime by the time I finally had a minute.  Had to help Gwen too, well you understand how that goes.  

It only took an hour or so and I now have a good looking finish for the decals.

As the paint was drying I started to paint the railing stanchions and could only complete the starboard side.  The port side will come tomorrow and then I need to give the railing cable a coat of dark grey paint.  I have no clue what color they used way back then but the dark grey may off-set it nicely with the light grey.

I made a few before and after pics of the repainting project for my own records and archive.

post-1399-0-32973400-1411091715_thumb.jpg

This shows the masking off of the forward part of the bow.  I could use the hull plating lines to prevent a paint ridge.  I have added three coats of enamel paint.

post-1399-0-79226400-1411091736_thumb.jpg

This shows the masking of the con.  Here I could not  prevent a paint ridge at the aft end but it worked out that the very thin ridge kinda looks like a weld seam. 

post-1399-0-52161400-1411091766_thumb.jpg

Here I have just removed all the masking.  This pic was taken with flash and it shows the ridge at the red bottom and a few specs I need to address yet.  I want the paint to dry and harden for a few days before i can work with it.  It looks very good op close and I'm happy.

Yes Andy, the nav lights or side light as you call them, will get their correct colors and perhaps a lamp too.

post-1399-0-37775600-1411091776_thumb.jpg

Here is the con with all masking removed.  Both sides look very good, better then before I must say.  The sanding helped smooth it out quite nice.

Now comes the tricky part, putting the decals on - - - correctly! 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Bold move Piet, the result looks great.

There is a way to know what port and starboard is in Dutch too, I have to use that all the time. The first half of the dutch word stuurboord has an R in it just like right (or rechts in Dutch), bakboord (port in Dutch) does not have that. 

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Bold move Piet, the result looks great.

There is a way to know what port and starboard is in Dutch too, I have to use that all the time. The first half of the dutch word stuurboord has an R in it just like right (or rechts in Dutch), bakboord (port in Dutch) does not have that. 

Remco

Always messing that up with the r's in red and green....

knowing which side is which doesn't help you with the colours...

Jan

Thanks everyone for dropping in and your comments and advice and of cours for the many likes.

I could have said "I was testing all y'all to see who caught the wrong colors for the side lights," but I opted for the dyslexia bit  ;)   Hey, it's all in fun and I enjoy the banter and all your help  :D   

Having been active in aviation since 1956, maintaing, repairing, designing repairs and flying till my retirement with the Federal Aviation Administration in 2009 I should know what the left and right are called and what color the nav lights must be but sometimes we get a "brain fart."  It's rather embarrassing, to say the least.  But so what, I'll get over it before I turn into a girl - as my father used to say.

@ Remco:  Bold move?  Nah, it has to be good and working around it wouldn't do.  Redoing the paint at these small areas was really no problem at all, it was rather fun.  Yes, I remember the Dutch way and to tell all yuns the truth, sometimes my brain can't think of English words but then Dutch words or even Indonesian just crops up.  That's the problem with the brain having been programmed in one language from birth and then as an adult having to use another language presents some rather funny situations.  Also, when I was growing up I also learned to speak the Java Indonesian language in the Surabaya dialect and accent.  In that case left or port or bakboord would be kiri and has an R for red light.  Right or starboard or stuurboord is kanan without an R.  It's easier to remember it in Indonesian  ;)   Okay, enough about left is red and right is green.  The sidelight holders have the right colors now as we speak :dancetl6:

@ Brian:  Yes, indeed, I used "RustOleum" enamel paint in a rattle can and it dries up semi glossy.  What I do to dull it up some is wait till the paint id fully cured and then wipe it down with a damp rag with an enamel reducer.  It really cuts down the gloss.  I could have used "BonAmi" scouring powder too but's a lot of work and makes a mess in all the nooks and crannies.  I don't want it to look glossy and so far it has worked for me.

@ Jan:  Yup, that's a problem with all these nice helps.  Like everything, there is no substitute for memorizing it and uhhmmm - - - that also doesn't prevent us from having a brain fart.  ;)

@ Joe:  Yes, a good hint and it's still memorizing all this.  I have now made a sticky note and pasted that on the wall at my work station - - - as long as I can remember it's there  :rolleyes:  ;)   

@ Carl:  Hi buddy, good to see you here and thanks for the good words.  No, I haven't had the pleasure of having worked at the Verolme yard.  I don't even recognize the name  :(   I did work at Aviolanda by Dordrecht as an apprentice for my studies at the Anthony Fokker School but that was all aviation related.  Whenever we come to visit the Netherlands Sjors is taking me to Wilton-Fijenoord in Schiedam to see the place where the O19 was build.

@ Kees: Hoi and also good seeing you here at my shipyard.  Thanks for the kind words my friend.  Yeah, I may be an American citizen but still have Dutch blood in me and am drawn to Dutch ships and boats and many other things Dutch.  Not that there is anything wrong withEnglish, French, Spanish or American build ships but the Dutch ships and boats are rather unique with a rich history.  Of course this boat is very special to me.

Well, today I painted the railing stanchions on the port side, wait - - let me check - - left side, yup, that's port  ;)   I also touched up part of the center hull with green paint, also RustOleum enamel.  When all the green paint is fully cured it'll get a wipe down to dull it a little.  That's all she rode for today.  I made a chili for dinner but this time I deviated from the standard cili con carny and made Cincinnati chili.  It has different spices in it and served over spaghetti.  It was yummo.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Verolme Scheepswerf used to be at Alblasserdam (not to far from Dordrecht) ... W.F. at the other side of Rotterdam, would be nice to visit. Unfortunately there are fewer and fewer yards as time goes by ...

Pass me the recipe for the chilli, never ate one with spaghetti!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hoi Carl, thanks for the info.  Yes, I know where WF is located but never been there.  We lived in Vlaardingen Ambacht at that time till we moved back to Indie in 1939.  I didn't like the cold, wet weather, summer was okay but always rain.

The recipe is in your mailbox, enjoy.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Good morning Piet

very nice work

ref the stanchions, i am most surprised that they are not removed as the submarine goes to harbour stations, and stowed ashore or under the casing,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Kevin and Freek,  you may well be correct that they removed the railing and antennas before going on patrol.  The pics I have after the refit in 1943 all railing is gone as well as the torpedo loading gantries.  I do also have a picture of the O19 surfacing wit the torp loading gantries still in place.  Then I have photos with the railing in place but that was in 1939 or 1940 with her tied to dockside.  

I also show the model with de flags.   

Let's just assume that as a model, she is tied to the dock and the crew is out "painting the town" and all the mothers have their daughters locked inside their houses  ;)   This way I can show the model with as much "stuff" on her as possible, like the open dingy hatch and loading a torpedo.  I could even lower the side anchor and raise the telephone but that one I'll leave stowed. 

I'll just have to add that to my speel when explaining why all that "stuff" is on a submarine  ;)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I couldn't do much today.  Just wiped the newly painted areas with a damp cloth with enamel paint thinner to dull it.  One more wipe and then put the nummer decals on.

I did paint the railing cable dark grey - - I like the result.   There is still some touching up to do but she's close to being finished.  Just other details that con come in between other projects.

Like I mentioned, I am thinking of a mounting board and how to mount her, and then a place in my studio.  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra