Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

Thanks for the link Freek and how Paul did the frames for his motor sloop.  His model is otherwise very professional looking.  I like it that he has made most if not all his own metalwork.

I'm still mulling things over right now.  Have a few other projects to do and will come back to my dingy in a few days.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Piet,

Some help in the mulling. Have a look here: http://www.koga.net.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26364&start=140 Approximately halfway down the page he starts at his dinghy/sloop whatever you wanna call it (I know it's Polish ... often enough one image says more than a thousand words ..... enjoy!).

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello my friend, I haven't forgotten you...just got real busy. Your work never ceases to amaze me. The boat has come a long ways since I saw her a year ago. How time flies. I'm glad I got to see it way back when, that way I can really appreciate where it is now. Here's a Leffe Blond at you my friend. By the way you got me hooked on that stuff. Glad Gwen is doing well and healed as well as you I hope. Glad to see you checked my website. What do you think? More later, just catching up.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Catching up here Piet. Read the story about your father twice....tears both times. God bless you my friend. As usual, coming to your log is like a breath of fresh air to my old bones.

Cheers

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hello Carl, hey, thanks for the URL.  Very impressive work and yes, I could follow what he was doing.  May have to go the same route but I would still need the lines to make the forms to check against the solid plug, yes?  I know, it may be a little anal of me trying to get this dingy or jol exactly the same as was on the O19. Asking too much maybe?  Well, I'm having fun giving it a jolly good try  :)

Hi Jan, good to see back and visiting my shipyard.  Been missing you my friend.   Thanks for the compliments and yes, she's almost finished.  Beside the dingy there are still a few odds and ends to do.  Am seriously thinking of adding the low frequency transmitter antenna as well.  That's what I see in the photos of the time my father served on her.  I have held off with that but it keeps coming back at me having to do it.  Obviously the model appears in will be from the summer of 1939 and marked as such on the display plaque.

Hello Dave, thank you for reading my stories about my father.  Yes, I think he was an exceptional person and proud to be his son.  

Okay, I have been doing a few other things besides working on the model but that'll change soon.  Im now also seriously thinking about the display board and cover.  The mounting board is not a big problem, it's how to do the dust cover.  I am leaning towards making it out of one sheet of plexy glass.  Cut to fit the length of the board then bend the sides up 90 degrees to make tunnel.  Then close the ends off.  I'll need a 4 X 8 piece for that operation and it doesn't have to be very thick.

Just thinking mind you  ;)

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone.  I hope that all y'all had a great weekend.  There was a nice air show in Daytona Beach, sponsored by Embrey Riddle University.  It was supposed to be a very nice one but I didn't go.  Too crowded, problems parking the car and problems with frequent body functions ;)

In any case, I have been busy with a few domestic chores and taking some measurements for the display board and the dust cover.  I begin to like the idea of making that from acrylic plastic sheet.  i could even paint ocean and sky on the "wall side."  A couple of seagulls or perhaps a MLD sea plane  :rolleyes:

Daniel (harvey1847) from Madrid Spain read my post where I showed my first attempt in making the lines drawings for the dingy and offered to draw them for me with CAD.  I gratefully accepted his offer, even though he was very busy himself, he went right to it and in a few days he was done.  They look magnificent.

This just show you what a great place this is where people help each other.  

When I wanted to make prints with my copier that &%#*@ thing ran out of back ink  grrrr, grrrr  :angry:   Have not been able to go to the store to buy some, just to busy with domestic chores.  We'll do that tomorrow for sure and then make an attempt with the dingy.  Some of you have given me some good advice and we'll see what comes out of it.  I'll have to make  some more plywood and veneer for this simple little boat.   Simple?  Not in a long shot, at least not to me.  

Here are the drawings Daniel made for me.  There are a few more in color no less, that show the individual stations.

Piet Dingy A4_1_50 BW copy.pdf

Piet Ding keel 1_50 BWy.pdf

Piet Ding Water lines 1_50 BW.pdf

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Those are great little drawings Piet! Very nice of Daniel. Regarding the display case,  Do you have the proper length heater for bending the corners? it is pretty tricky doing it with a good heat gun.  The ends will also need to be machined after the bending to square them up, because it will curl a little right at the bend.  If you are able to get a local plastic fabricator to make it for you it would be money well spent. I speak from experience. When I was making models of architecture commercially I used 1/4 plex and glued all the corners, Truthfully one of my staff did it because he was really good at it.

the top was 3/8 and it was routed with a 45 degree bevel on the outside corners and then frosted this helped to hide any imperfections (some tiny bubbles) and created a visual frame that was minimal.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you all for dropping in and your likes.

Hello Michael, yes, I am aware of all the difficulties bending and cementing plexy glass.  Because of the length a heating gun may be impossible to use.  My thought is to use a resistance wire and heat it up that way.  This way there is less or no distortion.  In my neck of the woods are no places with the expertise to bend this stuff but I'll have to do some shopping on the Net.  I'm just beginning with this part of the project.  The "case" must be 6 feet long.  Yeah, the ends need to fit really good to get good looking "welds".  There is a gap filling cement I'm thinking of using there.  

Hi there Remco, yeah, that was really nice of him to offer doing the lines via CAD. So I guess I'll do do some carving to make a plug first and build the dingy on top of it.  I need to do some reading in the how to's.

Thank you for agreeing that I need to install the low frequency antennas on the boat.  That's the way my father knew her when he took the O19 to the colonies in 1939.  That's really not that much of a job but will make the model more realistic for that time period.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Good morning Piet and all!

To be sincerous the tought work was done (mainly to have lots of layers already named 01,02,03,05,...) the rest was quite easy. When I printed it amazed me the sized of it. It´s tiny tiny, so tiny that one could think about modelling it out of scholar plaster rather than chiseled and sanded out of a piece of wood... Just kidding!

Anyway, have you think about making a wood (cooper, brass,tin) framed case and stick inside the frame plane plastic sheets? instead of bending the plexiglas. You can choose from a lot of existing already moulded frames or make your own ones.

Good luck and happy weekend ahead,

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847

Hello Daniel, so good of you to drop in and thanks again my friend for doing this for me.  Perhaps easy for you but CAD is way above my head and no desire to learn it, my brain is already fried  ;)  :rolleyes:

Yes. there are different options to making the case.  Making it all in one piece is the preferred way but if it's not possible then I'll have to go to plan B or C or D.  I found a place that may make the main part for me but have not checked for a price, which is in my case VERY important.  Yes, I can make frames from AL or brass and make it look like iron, which is actually my plan B.  The easy way out.

Bending sheet acrylic is not difficult but when it comes to 6 feet in one piece then we need to pay attention of how to - - - in the garage and hopefully with the help of the Admiral.

Right now it's still in the thinking stage and gathering info from all of you on MSW. I'll sort through it.

Okay, I started today with making the low frequency antenna rig.  Sorry no pics.  Not much to show for it yet.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Well folks, one of the last parts have been made and installed on the O19, it's the Low Frequency transmit antenna.  That was a lot of fun to do.  As I was making the parts I changed a few things in the process.  In the end though it looks exactly the same as on the drawings and photos, which makes me very happy.

I immagine that this antenna can be removed and stowed when not in use and for submerged sailing.  I tried to do the same but the parts on the antenna mast keep falling off when handling the model so I just made it permanent.  We'll just have to imagine they can be unhooked.  

The cradle cables at the bow and stern can be removed though.  I made a few hooks that hook into the eyelets for that purpose.  

I'm very happy with how she looks and for all practical purposes she's finished, except for the dingy, the crew and a few spare parts.  I'll keep this log open till the dingy is done and the display board and case are completed and she's on display in my studio.

Here are a few pics of today's the work I did on the antenna over the last few days.  I could only devote a few hours a day, too many chores to do.

post-1399-0-01869600-1413769154_thumb.jpg

This drawing shows the general layout of the O19.  The Low Frequency antenna is shown at the top of the profile picture.  As I have mentioned before there were a few changes the builder had to make by request of the KM (Royal Navy), which I incorporated in my model.  

post-1399-0-15971100-1413769194_thumb.jpg

One of the changes I made was by removing the bracket I soldered to the mast top.  In its place I soldered a small piece of tubing to the mast top.  I attempted to make this thing move up and down via a simulated pulley system and then also with removable hooks that hold the antenna wires.  Thinking about it some more I slapped my forehead and called myself domkop.  This mast can be lowered and raised by the crew unhooking it would be an easy task.   Yeah, I could have made the guides as hooks and drilled holes in that small cross piece but just soldered them in.  Who knows, I may redo this at some other time. 

post-1399-0-76796800-1413769210_thumb.jpg

This shows the bridle cable assembly.  I made two, one for the bow and for for the stern (duh  :P )  The cable is made from two 0.08 pieces of copper wire from a telephone wire and then twisted.  The "trapeze" looking thingy is just a piece of 0.2 mm brass rod with a 0.1 mm brass wire soldered to it, then a small 0.5 brass tube where I soldered everting in.  A few small hooks from 0.2 brass rod.  

post-1399-0-60998500-1413769240_thumb.jpg

The bridle cable is hooked into the bow antenna and cable cutter frame.  The bridle is kinda blending in with the low frequency sensing antenna but it runs above it.  The stern picture shows it better.

post-1399-0-00010000-1413769267_thumb.jpg

The bow hookup seen from a different angle.

post-1399-0-43900300-1413769295_thumb.jpg

This shows the details of the antenna mast.

post-1399-0-10661800-1413769325_thumb.jpg

This is a better picture showing the antenna bridle and cable hooked into an eyebolt fastened to the aft deck. The crew escape hatch just misses it.

post-1399-0-66400100-1413769370_thumb.jpg

Starboard profile from the stern with the completed antenna installation.  We can also clearly see Remco's decals and flags.  They kept poor Remco from doing much work on his King Fisher  ;)  As you can see there is a nice stiff breeze blowing.

post-1399-0-15146200-1413769388_thumb.jpg

Starboard profile from the bow with the completed antenna installation.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Absolutely brilliant. Your Father will be smiling down on it I am sure.  :)

Do we get the shot of the proud constructor/owner stood behind it?

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

I followed this thread from the moment I arrived on this forum. It gave me a smile when I saw how you handled the problems and how inventive you were. Now the only thing I miss is a shot with the proud builder and the model together :cheers:

Regards, Kees

Thank you all for visiting my shipyard and your likes, I am humbled by your responses.

Hoi Remco, yep, almost done.  Yeah man, they needed to be able to communicate from across the world.  It's a lot different then HF or VHF.  It also needed a lot of power to send.

Thank you Wacko Joe, I really appreciate your kudos.  Just stay tuned.

Hi Omega, thank you too and yes, I am very pleased with how she turned out.

Hoi Carl, van harte dank, thank you.  She even looks pretty good up close.

Hello Ian, thanks for dropping in and thank you for your compliments.  Yes, I like to think that Adjudant van Warmerdam would be pleased.  Yep, I'll be making pics with me and my wife with the model.  Hey, her dad served in the KM (Royal Navy) as a Lieutenant Commander at the outset of hostilities with the Japs, there is a link.

Hoi Kees, thank you as well for your kind words and support.  Yep, as mentioned above there'll be a few pics with me and the model.  We are not done yet.  I'll put my check flight uniform on for the occasion - - - NOT!!  :P

I did take  some time this afternoon to drag my 10 inch bench saw outside and cut a 1.2 mm plank from a block of boxwood.  I sanded it smooth and down to a smidgen over 1 mm for the dingy.  Was busy with yard work this morning.  That's a never ending thing here in Florida.  Plants grow fast.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Was busy with yard work this morning.  That's a never ending thing here in Florida.  Plants grow fast.

At least they grow!!! Here, currently, they start to drown

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

wonderful  work on the antenna Piet!   man!  I really like the full view shots of her!   simply an outstanding build........I'm in awe of your talent!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well Done my friend. She's come a long way since last year when I visited her. Pop would be proud...very proud. All she needs is a pond to cross. I guess I'll have to have another Leffe Blond this evening, so I'll be toasting ya for a job well done. Our best to Gwen.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

She´s really, really great. Can only add my admiration and cheers to those from everyone.

Hello Piet!

Congratulations!! I am with Remco I hadn´t realize the high of the antenna and with those cables and specially the last photo She looks like she needs some sort of sails or something... ;)

One question, all those cables were sumerged or there was some kind of mechanism to tight them when was underwater? just courious.

Congrats again,

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847

Hello friends and thanks to all for visiting, your comments and likes.

Hoi Carl, yeah, I know what you mean.  I'm listening to a Dutch music station on the computer and get the news and weather.   I know all about winter weather, cold, rain and snow.  Still dislike it with a passion.  I'm not complaining about a lot of yard work mind you, it beats shoveling snow  ;)   It just takes precious time away from the shipyard.  ;)

Hi Popeye, thank you for your kind remarks, really appreciate it.  If you like those pics just wait till I make the "official" photographs of her with my big Cannon camera.  I plan to stage them appropriately.   And talking about talent, look who's talking - - - 

Hi John, thank you too my friend and yes she's come a long way since you last saw and touched her.  She's almost completed.  Still some more work to be done.  Yep, I like to think that pappa Piet is well pleased.  That's how my mother called him to distinguish him from me, we are namesakes  :)   Enjoy your Leffe, I have to wait till tomorrow, had surgery today  :(

Hi ho Vivian and thank you as well for your compliments.  Did you make the Indo dishes yet??  

Hello Daniel, thank you my friend.  Ah yes, the antennas.  Rather unusual on submarines.  But remember that these subs were primarily surface vessels that could submerge for only short periods of time.  Underwater speed was then not much of a concern then.  The last antenna I put on is the Low Frequency transmit antenna and not used much, only to communicate so once in a while to home port for special messages and position reports. Possible enemy ships or planes could home in on the signals with their Direction Finders and cause a heap of trouble for the sub.  That antenna could easily and quickly be unhooked and stowed away.  The antenna mast can be retracted hydraulically into the boat the same as the two periscopes.  The navigation antenna would most likely stay as is.  During the refit in 1943 / 44 in Scotland they removed a lot of drag inducing things, like railings - except the portions next to the conning tower.  The front AA gun was also removed and the torpedo loading gantries.

Cheers to all,  

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all y'all and thank you for visiting and all your likes.

I have been thinking - - - I know, that can get you into trouble  ;)   So I thought why make a plug first for the dingy and then build that dingy over it.  Seems like double the work  :rolleyes:

Sooooooh - - - I thought - - why not build the dingy plank on frame  :omg:  That's why it took me a few days of contemplation and hair pulling.  But so what, let's give this hair-brained idea a try.  If it doesn't work out I can always go back to the plug method.

Okay, I cut a 1.3 mm plank from a chunk of boxwood, sanded it down to about 1 mm and glued a copy of the keel print to it with some diluted school glue.

Next I took a small pice of 1/2 inch particle board and carved a groove in it to accommodate the keel.  I then cemented 4 90 degree brass angle pieces to it next to the keel to keep it 90 degrees to the build dock.  I also drew the locator lines on it for the frames.

Next I cut the paper frames from the drawing and glued them to the 1 mm boxwood plank and cut them out.  I sanded and filed everything nicely to the lines.  I cut grooves into the keel where the frames are going to be.

The plan is to hand cut the insides of these blank bulkheads to make the frames.  They are too delicate for the Proxxon jig saw.  First I planned in planking the model and then cutting the bulkheads into frames but getting access to them would be problematic.

I already cit the number 1 frame by using my trusty jeweler's coping saw that I still have from when I was a young man way back in Holland.

Seems to work fine and will continue with the rest of the frames.

Right now I plan on cementing everything together with gel super glue and hope it'll last.

This method may be good practice for when I start with the VOC Jacht in a lamp, which will only be slightly smaller.

Okay then, here are a few pics of my efforts so far.

post-1399-0-09149900-1414288385_thumb.jpg

Keel assembly.  I made it all out of one piece, I may be crazy but not stupid  ;)  The keel is purposely slightly higher but will be trimmed after the planking is completed.  This is nummer 2.

post-1399-0-27640700-1414288408_thumb.jpg

This shows the build-dock with the keel stop and 90 degree angle pieces to keep the keel steady and at 90 degrees to the dock.  Yep, not very big isn't it?  The keel you see here is nummer uno and reject.

post-1399-0-69953600-1414288443_thumb.jpg

Here is the keel placed into the groove and ready for the frames.

post-1399-0-90904500-1414288456_thumb.jpg

This then shows all the future frames.  You may see the pencil outlines for them.  I do plan to cement small pieces of boxwood between the frames yet for added strength.  To ensure proper alignment to the keel vertically and horizontally I plan to use a small steel block and a string along the centerline.  I'm not too concerned about it being off fractions of mm's.

I do plan on installing a few "ceiling" planks to the bottom of the dingy. 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

That is one small dinghy.  :stunned:  Looks to me like Plan A has a good chance of success.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I like it :)

Maybe a little late with my advise, but at this scale you can heat bend small strips of boxwood into the shape of the frames. I used a plug and added the planks first and added the frames afterwards. Working with a plug gives a stable base to add those delicate parts on. Especially in the beginning there is not much structure to keep everything in place.

post-20-0-44305700-1414304190_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-08098800-1414304189_thumb.jpg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here