Le Mirage by Sjors - FINISHED - Corel - Wood - 1:75

Thanks everyone…..

@ Augie,

I shall never say the F word again……. :(

We are going on the 10 of May ( by boat ) and will return on the 13 of May ( again by boat )

So you have to do it without us for a few days.

@ Garward,

I know that Mobbsie planned a few things for us.

On saturday to London to see the Cutty Sark and on sunday to Portsmouth to see the Victory and maybe a few more.

@ John ,

When the time is there I shall go on further at her.

3 weeks of doing the things that we like is great!

We will enjoy that!

@ Keith,

I know it is not a race but when you at the stage of rigging, you want to finish her.

But that's not for the moment.

I think Anja is hiding a lot of stuff for me.

Canon balls, matches….what is next?

You will see the pictures when we got back.

@ Robbyn,

Thank you,

We will enjoy and we don't have a f...place ( I may not say that word from Augie )in the house…….

Only one outside  :)

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

And don't despair, you'll find the will to work on Le Mirage again after a little break. And nobody forces you to modify the chain plates on this one if you don't feel like it: you'll know for the next...

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Hi Garward and Adeline,

@ garward,

The Greenwich NMM is where the Cutty Sark is…...

So we go there!

@ Adeline,

I think every replica that we are visiting is joy  :D

I think I take a lot of pictures of that.

And video movies…..maybe I get famous then when I recording myself  :D

Then I got an other fan club!

I know that nobody force me to change the plates but the big problem for me is, when I'm doing it the wrong way and they show me pictures how it should have been done, then i want to change it!

I don't have to change it but every time when I look at it, it gives me that funny feeling…..and thoughts of…..If I had change it, how will it looks then?

You know what I mean?

But thanks for your head up!

And if you are boring yourself….somewhere on this forum ,there is another build of mine.

It called the San Ildefonso.

I hope you will me joining by that also.

There are still seats available…….

I shall take some popcorn with me for all of you.

Edited by Sjors

I know that nobody force me to change the plates but the big problem for me is, when I'm doing it the wrong way and they show me pictures how it should have been done, then i want to change it!

I don't have to change it but every time when I look at it, it gives me that funny feeling…..and thoughts of…..If I had change it, how will it looks then?

You know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean Sjors. 

The decision is TOTALLY yours as to whether you change the plates or not. I still want to add that your Mirage looks great.....with the plates moved or not!!! I wish I had done some things differently on my Mayflower, but none of my family or friends are model shipwrights so they don't even notice - they just think it looks great. :)

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Sjors - enjoy the trip to England, you will love visiting the Victory, make sure you go to the Mary Rose and Warrior as well while you are at Portsmouth. I will be in England in August and plan a trip to Grenwich NMM.

If you need a break from the Mirage, take it! Remember its not a race! It's a hobby! I haven't done a thing to any of my models in a few weeks but I am starting to feel the urge coming back.

Ben

Edited by Trussben

Hi Sjors,

No pictures of the ship for a while…..

Reason?

I have to change a lot like the chainplates, shrouds , maybe the reeling.

At this moment I put her on a shelf for a while.

The joy of building at her is gone for the moment.

Then it is better to quit before it turns into firewood.

She will be finished someday but not this time.

I go back to the San Ildefonso.

Oh dear, I hope it wasn't something I said :huh:  . Don't worry Sjors, a couple of weeks of vacation will soon have you wanting to keep building Mirage I'm sure :) .

Trust me - it will look great, and you'll be wondering why you were worrying about making such any easy "fix" in the first place :D .

It's nowhere near as big a job as when I pulled up the entire quarterdeck on "Supply" because the kit plans were wrong, or when Grant pulled off the whole stern of his Victory because he wasn't happy with his first efforts. You'll finish up a much better modeller after you have done it and you realize that ANYTHING can be fixed - and it's not anywhere near as hard as you thought it would be :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

anything can be fixed doesnt always mean you need to do it as long as you are happy with it :)

thats one thing i love about building in wood. if you are not satisfied with something you made you only need a bit more wood to redo it :)

enjoy your holliday Anja and Sjors

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

think it over while your on vacation........you'll come up  with the solution!  have fun though!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sjors,

Three weeks?  No pictures?   No popcorn?  But it's good to take a break and do something else.  Say "hi" to Mobbsie for us and enjoy your trip.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good morning to you all.

@ Sherry,

You are just saying what i was thinking.

I think I'm not inviting ship modellers……. :D  :D  :D  :D

@ Augie,

Aggy for sure!

@ Danny,

I'm not quote your replay otherwise I need the hole page…..

But I'm gonna answer your replay..

You are quilty  :D

But I don't mind.

I'm glad that you show me the way how it has to be.

After a good night sleep I know now for sure that I'm gonna change it!

And it will not take to long.

You are right by fix things...

This is a minor fix if you look at  Grant his fix…..that was huge!

Anja was saying that it is a bad thing that we don't have a backup builder close by…...

Can you not move to the Netherlands?  :D  :D  :D

There is a home available close by... :)

Thanks for the pep talk!

I needed that!

@ Adrieke,

I get your point!

I'm not happy how it looks now.

So, change time….

@ Popeye,

Thanks for the convince in me.

I have 3 weeks to think about it.

Maybe before the 3 weeks are over ,i'll be on it.

Good morning Mark,

No worries,

We are only away for a weekend.

The rest of the time we most of the time at home.

A few things to do and for the rest building...

The popcorn machine are still working.

Next weekend we are going to Mobbsie.

When we get back I shall show you pictures of it.

Otherwise I get more comment from you as for the first time when Mobbsie was here and there where no pictures…...

Edited by Sjors

Glad to hear you've made up your mind on the 'fix'.  Well done.

Oh, while you're on the boat on the way home, don't forget to open the Aggy and inventory the parts.  We want photos.  And I fully expect to see 3 builds running simultaneously when you get home.  Heck, we've seen you juggle before :P  :P

Edited by Augie

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sjors - enjoy the trip to England, you will love visiting the Victory, make sure you go to the Mary Rose and Warrior as well while you are at Portsmouth. I will be in England in August and plan a trip to Grenwich NMM.

Ben

Hello Ben,

Unfortunately the old Mary Rose Museum has closed its doors for the last time, but the new Mary Rose Museum is nearly finished and will open to the public on the 31st May 2013. Maybe next time.

Same visit for both of us, but at a different date. It would have been great if we could have met.

Sjors

Glad to hear you've made up your mind on the 'fix'.  Well done.

Oh, while you're on the boat on the way home, don't forget to open the Aggy and inventory the parts.  We want photos.  And I fully expect to see 3 builds running simultaneously when you get home.  Heck, we've seen you juggle before :P  :P

I missed your post Augie….forgive me.

I think you misunderstand me about the Aggy.

I don't buy her now!

If I do that, the Le Mirage will never finished.

And beside that….she is to heavy, the kit weights almost 24 pounds….

When I take that on board I think it's gonna be a submarine.

And I want to go back to MSW.

To much fun to let it go!

Hi Sjors,

I really feel for you my friend. It's a big decision to pull apart something you've already made, but I can tell you from my own experience that the hardest part is actually making the decision to do so. After that, it's easy. When I decided to re-do the entire stern and quarter galleries on my Vic, it was for two reasons. Firstly, I just knew I was never going to be happy with the old version. The second, and perhaps more important reason that tipped me over the edge, was the support I knew I would have from people here, and in particular from Danny. I had no idea at all how to go about this daunting task, but Danny was able to guide me through it step by step, via long distance remote control (gotta love the Internet!). The end result may not be perfect, but it is a huge improvement over the previous version, and I am a better modeller for the experience. I am also much more confident about fixing other mistakes, or scratch building new parts.

Something for you to think on during your vacation........

I hope you both have a most enjoyable vacation and return refreshed and ready to make sawdust.

Thanks Grant for the heads up!

Mine fix is nothing comperes with yours.

So , I have to do it and I will started it before my vacation is over…...

I think today she coming from the shelf and rope cutting begins…….

I have take a look at the San Ildefonso  and there also are going the chains also in an angle…...

Garward has post a picture of his Montanez drawing and it is saying the same thing.

I'll keep you updated!

Hi, Sjors! If you decided to remake chainsplate, it makes sense to replace thus also chains with a wire. By the real ships of that era these details didn't produce from chains. Chains which stand, for example, on my Corsair model, on your Corsair and on a number of these models is an imagination of the producer of a kit, no more :) .

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

good luck with the changes Sjors. you know i just had a look and you are only about an hour 15 mins drive from where my dad lives. maybe i ll come and visit you (if i have transport there) and help you wiht your ratlines if you are stil lnot finished by then :piratetongueor4:

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Hi Sjors,

Of course, if you are not happy with the model as is, fixing it is the right thing to do! I'll be happy to see the redo and I'm sure you'll do fine with the help of our experts. I'll also pay a visit to your other build in the meantime.

Enjoy your vacation!

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

@ Thanks Wim,

We will enjoy the trip to England.

I hope we have the same weather as we have now.

Our vacation starts very good with this sunshine :)

@ Adrieke,

When you have the time to visit us, you are more then welcome!

If you have no transport there is also a train.

We can pick you up at the Central Station.

We have to figure that out when the time is there.

@ Adeline,

Thanks also for the head up :)

I gives me a good feeling all those reactions from each of you!

So I'll be working on her…..but not today.

The weather is to good to stay inside :D

Hi Sjors

Sorry to hear you have to redo a lot of your work, but i am sure it will turn out great when done, you are a very good builder-

And with all the new tool you got it will help you a lot. :)

Have a wonderful trip to UK my friend, and take a lot of photos of the great ships for us.

Børge ;)

Current build(restore, bashing)
BB582 "Dragen" Scale 1:12

On hold: BB534 Bolougne Etaples Scale 1:20

Not started: Model Shipways MS2040 USS Constitution 1:76

:piratebo5: 

Hi Sjors

Sorry to hear you have to redo a lot of your work, but i am sure it will turn out great when done, you are a very good builder-

And with all the new tool you got it will help you a lot. :)

Have a wonderful trip to UK my friend, and take a lot of photos of the great ships for us.

Børge ;)

He my friend.

How are you doing?

Goes better now?

Thanks for the trust in my skills…..

And yes. the tool will be an great help!

No worries about the pictures.

Anja bought a new notebook (Mac book pro ) so I can fill it with pictures and movies when we are in England :D

Hi Sjors

Your skills are very good Sjors.

I am doing pretty good, i have started on a new treatment, its a air shockwawe treatment.

i have had one treatment of this,and it fels like its working well.

I am still home until Mai 22 for now. After that i hope to start working 50% so i dont start to hard.

I have a very interesting tool project going on, will show you when i have the plans ready, it will be very exciting.. :)

Say hello to Anja also, and wishes for a great experience in UK

Børge

Current build(restore, bashing)
BB582 "Dragen" Scale 1:12

On hold: BB534 Bolougne Etaples Scale 1:20

Not started: Model Shipways MS2040 USS Constitution 1:76

:piratebo5: 

Hi Sjors,

Now all you need is a lathe, a scroll saw and (most important) a disc sander and you will have the complete workshop :D .

Have a good trip.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Congrats on the birthday gifts there Sjors, nice collection of equipment and I'm sure you will allow Anja to use them without permission anytime she desires, if you don't want the moderator in her to ban you from MSW :-)

So you will go to the darkside one day!! That I will watch out for!

Ben

Hi Sjors.......  wishing you and Anja the best on your holiday... Say hello to Tony for me....... I see you've got yourself some new toys !!

I'm sure you'll put them to good use. Have Fun !! ;)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Sjors,

Now all you need is a lathe, a scroll saw and (most important) a disc sander and you will have the complete workshop :D .

Have a good trip.

Morning Danny,

I have give the list to Anja….. :D

Just kidding, I have wrote it down so i know what is left.

Now first re-decorate the room and then we can play!

Congrats on the birthday gifts there Sjors, nice collection of equipment and I'm sure you will allow Anja to use them without permission anytime she desires, if you don't want the moderator in her to ban you from MSW :-)

So you will go to the darkside one day!! That I will watch out for!

Ben

Thanks Ben,

I'm not the only one with new tools...

I'll wait for the pictures that you make of your tools when you have them.

Anja can use them also ,but first she have to learn hot those tools are working.

I want her around me with all her 10 fingers!

And yes, the decision is make.

After the 2 builds that I'm doing right now and then the Aggy I think I cross the river to goes to the dark side.

Maybe it stay aways for a few years but then I have all the tools i need.

50% of the work are the tools…...

Hi Sjors.......  wishing you and Anja the best on your holiday... Say hello to Tony for me....... I see you've got yourself some new toys !!

I'm sure you'll put them to good use. Have Fun !! ;)

Frank

Morning Frank,

Thanks for the wishes.

We gonna have a great time in England.

I speak to Tony last night and I believe that there are more ships coming to visit.

I need more then 2 days…...

Or I have to make a day 48 ours…...

We will see.

Still  6 days to go before we leaving.

I forget something,

Because Anja gives me empty boxes ( That's what that realsailor criminal is thinking )I also get a few millings….

Then I have that first!

post-48-0-49633500-1367766447_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-84656800-1367766451_thumb.jpg