Le Mirage by Sjors - FINISHED - Corel - Wood - 1:75

Thanks Guy's!

Looks like you're off and rigging confidently now, Sjors :)

Andy

A little bit more Andy….

There is one thing that I don't understand...

When i see other builds ,the ropes are so nice smoothly and I have those "bumps?"

But I still keep going on.

Nice to see you using that jig Sjors, but credit where credit is due please - that jig originally came from EdT, posted in his Victory log. It's good to see it popping up again - I think Robbyn (Shaz) used it after I pointed her in that direction too. It really does make the shroud work easier and gives a nice straight line of deadeyes. Yours are looking great my friend.

Then I give my credits to EdT ( I hope he read this ) but I've got it from your log  :D

It works great and this one goes also in the great tips map! ( it's almost a book )

And thanks for the good word  :)

looking good Sjors........I'll have to use that idea when I get to do the Gothenborg ;)

Thanks Popeye,

I think it's very handy and you can do other things with your hand because they are free…..

When you start the rigging at the Gothenborg I want to see that jig! :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

It looks like your shrouds and deadeyes are coming right along. That little jig looks to be very handy and something I will consider using for future projects.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hello Sjors, :pirate41:

I see that you are getting a bit too good for the needle - or is the needle getting the better of it ?????????

Don't worry and don't rush things. It's the result that counts.

You are doing a fine job.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Sjors, this looks really great.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

post-127-0-23755500-1369233317.gif

Good morning Sjors, just stopped in for my morning check in.

Yep, that little ole jig Grant pointed out to me, works like a charm. I couldn't see doing those shroud lines without it!

Everything is looking good my friend, keep it up!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Sjors, I'm doing well. I've been slowly rigging my Niagara, but don't have any interesting pictures for you. There's been some time off due to a finger injury but it is all healed up. I'm hoping for an update soon.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Sjors, this looks really great.

Regards,

John

Thanks John,

I'm happy as it goes now.

Still 24 to go ( or a bit more )

attachicon.gifgood-morning-coffee-cup-smiley-emoticon.gif

Good morning Sjors, just stopped in for my morning check in.

Yep, that little ole jig Grant pointed out to me, works like a charm. I couldn't see doing those shroud lines without it!

Everything is looking good my friend, keep it up!!

Good morning Robbyn,

Our day is almost over….

Thanks for the coffee  :D

I wish I was listen earlier to Grant….

Now it goes faster and better…..

I was just talking to Mobbsie on Skype and we where talking about the things to do.

So first all the shrouds ,then the yards, then those lovely ratlines, then running rigging and then the backstays.

Wow, still along way to go!

And I forget the bowsprit….

That's for the last because that little thing is always in the way.

Sjors, I'm doing well. I've been slowly rigging my Niagara, but don't have any interesting pictures for you. There's been some time off due to a finger injury but it is all healed up. I'm hoping for an update soon.

Good to hear Patrick,

I know how long it takes with the rigging.

I'll wait patiently for the pictures  :D

Looking good, my friend.  Who said you don't listen??????

Nice work.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wow, Sjors - you are really spoiling us!  Those are looking VERY good!

congratulation.gif  vil-applause2.gif

That deserves a tip of the hat!

vil2_anglais3.gif

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

yepper!  your doing quite well..........now that the shrouds are done........now let's see how fast you can do the rungs  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work Sjors...... the shrouds look real good ,nice and taught....... I like that deadeye jig .... I think I'll try it out on my next build...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

The lanyards look great Sjors!!! You are moving right along with your rigging.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

With those lanyards she start looking like a real ship. Great job Sjors.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Salute Sjors,

You have handled it very well... It's time for the infinite ratlines. knot... knot... knot... kn...  :wacko:

I hope it will go smoothly... :D

Edited by shiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Sjors,

Nice even spacing on the deadeyes - the jig works well :) .

A couple of things to make it easier and neater for you :

There is one thing that I don't understand...

When i see other builds ,the ropes are so nice smoothly and I have those "bumps?"

My technique for tying the upper deadeyes to the shrouds works like this :

(One thing I'd do differently with your jig is to cut the top part lower to give you more room to wrap the siezing (lashing) around the shroud without the jig getting in the way.)

The siezing rope should be VERY thin - yours looks too thick. Fine cotton or linen thread works the best - don't use nylon, it doesn't hold it's shape very well and keeps coming undone. I actually use a very thin fishing line for this, but that's another story.

First I loop the shroud around the deadeye and tie the bottom siezing with a double overhand knot and pull it tight to hold it in place. Sometimes I need to use tweezers around the shroud to slide the knot hard against the deadeye. Then I use some diluted PVA glue around the deadeye and the knot and let it dry.

Next I wrap the siezing around the shroud 6 or 7 times and pull the last turn back under itself, glue the siezing and let it dry again. There are actually three siezings to be done on each deadeye/shroud, but you can just use one if you want to (it's a bit easier, and most of it will be hidden by the lanyard anyway - see below). Keep wrapping the siezing until you get to the end of the shroud "tail". Make sure you have cut all the shroud "tails" the same length.

Shrouds 001.jpg

Now is the time to remove the deadeyes/shrouds from the jig so each one can be tightened. The Lanyard rope should be half as thick as the shroud.

The ends of the Lanyards should wrap around the shroud tail about 3 or 4 times and finish with a small siezing :

Deadeyes 005.jpg

So first all the shrouds ,then the yards, then those lovely ratlines, then running rigging and then the backstays.

A better order would be to do the Shrouds (including those under the bowsprit - yes, fit it NOW), Forestays, Ratlines (before too much other rigging gets in the way) and Backstays - finish ALL the Standing Rigging before you even think of hoisting the Yards and start on the Running Rigging. You need to have all your Masts and Bowsprit correctly aligned BEFORE you start any Running Rigging.

Another tip : Don't "finish" any of the Lanyards on the Shrouds yet - they may (WILL) need some "fine tuning" as you progress with the Standing Rigging. A simple single knot will hold them for now. If you have used PVA to hold the Lanyards you have already fitted and find you need to adjust them, just brush some water on them to soften the glue and you will be able to undo them again.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Sjors,

Looking great.....my only issue is that if one leaves for a week, there is so much reading and viewing to do to catch up.... :P :P :P :P :P

Excellent work!

:cheers:

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Thank you all for your nice comment…...

I'm blushing here a little…. :) not to much!

Danny,

Wow, that's a tutorial you give me :D

You know exactly what I mean!

I printed this also out and put it in the" doing things better map "

I get another change on the other side…..

And of course the fore mast….

But that's for tomorrow!

Thanks again everyone.

nice progress Sjors :) seems liek your eager to start on those ratlines :P

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Sjors,

Nice work on the shrouds and lanyards.  Danny gave great advice.  What with his advice and EdTs/Grant's jig, you're doing great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Adrieke and Mark,

No rush Adrieke but get your CF from under  the bench  :D

No, I don't think so, next week back to work again  :(

The map with all the papers are gonna be thicker .

No I have to see how the tips of Danny works out…...

But no rush…..I want to finish her tomorrow  :D

Nice work Sjors,

Danny has given you some great advice there. You can't go wrong if you follow that.

Hi Grant,

It can go wrong………you are a optimist!  :D  :D  :D

At school when I was young and handsome….. my teacher has to tell me everything 100 times before I get the point what he is meaning or saying.

And that was in Dutch!

How do you think  it goes now when all is in English?? 

The only thing what i can do is reading everything over and over again and make the best out of it!

If it  goes wrong it's not the way how Danny tells me, but if I understand it right  :D

I wish Danny was my teacher at school  :D or Robbyn…..

But then i know for sure that i was leaving school without a diploma ;)

More talk about modelling then schoolwork  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

The deadeyes on the starboard side are also in place.

Not the way Danny told me because the shrouds are already done when I've got my lesson…….I think it looks a little bit better then before I'am at modelling school….. :D  :D  :D

I've got an other change at the foremast.

Btw, I found something out….when you look at the last two pictures, from a distance it looks not so bad  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

So when she is finished,and somebody is gonna take a look I'll show her from a far distance! 

post-48-0-45474100-1369321374_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-06659100-1369321379_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-22393400-1369321383_thumb.jpg

Way to go, Sjors!  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956