What do you use to mount your plans for viewing while building?

I agree with Mark, hang, before I start I will use a camera pop pics of small details or large on steps that may cause a problem on all plans , then reduce or enlarge to view better to prevent hopping up and down, then place in order of plan # and have them at hand as I proceed. Sounds convoluted but works with limited space.

Side benefit I learned from Mamoli Victory is some assemblies or rigging in plan 4 is added to in plan 6 and should have been addressed in plan 4, it avoids headaches later know this sounds off the wall but works for me.

The wall above my work tableis the main place.

BUT more important i find is a computer record.

I pin each sheet to the wall and photograph it with  a decent camera  and also scan or photo each page of the manual and parts list.

Then put them in a folder on my pc

I am lucky to have a large screen pc in my work area but a laptop would serve.

Then no more scrabbling among the plans to find something - of course you still need the full plan for measuring etc but it is surprising how rarely you need the whole plan

That assumes a kit build of course if you are doing a "fancier" build then you can get large cutting mats which could be "dual purpose"

I picked up a cheap and not at all sturdy drafting board with an adjustable top (for the angle-no height adjustment) at a garage sale - but these things are available at any office supply store.  I put it in the upright position and depending on the plan size I either attach the plans directly to the top or to a larger piece of foam core.  I can keep it right near the workbench and move it as needed.

Kurt

PLANS HOLDER -3.jpg

PLAN HOLDER-1.jpg

I use either a piece of plywood or foam core board. Both are easy to move around and plans can be taped or clipped to them. I lean the plans against the wall behind my desk or place them on the floor, depending on how I'm using them. I'm very cramped for space and this works fine. If I had more space, I like Kurt's approach.

I scan the plans one section at a time, then combine them into a single file. Then import them into my CAD program. The Cad lets me adjust size to correct any distortion, and redraw any sections that are not clear, or slightly different on different sheets. it also allows me to draw any additional details I might make, as well as print any section I need during construction.

The originals get rolled up, and stored in a cardboard or plastic tube, for safe keeping.

When my hobby area was in the wood shop I would just pin them all to the wall. It was nice to have all of them out to reference. When I moved upstairs when the Goat Locker was completed I have dry wall and my walls are all taken up by my plaques so no room to pin. I have read a couple of ideas I am going to implement. (1) I like the idea of copying and putting in a folder. (2) I like the idea of a adjustable drafting board. Thank you all for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Antonio C. Mendez (a scratch builder extraordinaire in Mexico) was a man after my own heart in that he was very adept at making his own tools and jigs out of whatever was at hand.  He often took one tool and converted it into another; like making an old rotary shaver into a ropewalk, or an old pencil sharpener into a miniature precision planer.

That was the mindset I used to come up with my plan holder.  I had an old no longer used adjustable clothes drying rack that I took apart and remounted onto the side of my assembly table with a few spring clamps used for hanging brooms and mops.  As you can see, it can be very easily adjusted or removed without tools.  If I have a larger plan sheet to mount, I can raise the cross bar, attach an extension to the bar, or both. Being in a wheelchair, my reach is very limited, so having it within easy reach was very important to me.

By the way, Antonio wrote a book titled William Frederick’s (1874) Scale Journey: A Scratchbuilder’s Evolutionary Development, in which he provides detailed info with many photos and drawings describing his techniques.  I would highly recommend getting his book, as it’s full of ideas for model ship scratch builders.

100_3904.JPG

100_3903.JPG

100_3902.JPG

100_3900.JPG

100_3901.JPG

100_3899.JPG