Ship paintings

Vegaskip

I got to fly on the wing of the RAF version of the Buccaneer; I think 208 Squadron, at a Red Flag in the late 70s. Very professional crews. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter painted this for me when she was 9 years old. I know it isn't museum worthy, but it is priceless to me and I have it proudly displayed in my workshop(s) for the past 30 years.  When ever she stops by, she says "I can't believe you kept that old thing after all these years" I tell her, it can't be bought with money marbles or chaulk.

DSC01670.JPG

Edited by mtdoramike

This little gem was recently sold by Sotheby's. Unfortunately, my bid came in at just slightly under the auction realization of 5,500,000 pounds. But, there is an amazing book on the Van de Veldes for the rest of us losers.

VDV.jpg.5c03bc88e7c7f2e4cd1867db656d6bc3.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Jim,

Re: The Trunk Ship

In 1890, Duluth, MN ship captain Alexander began building ships in the Duluth Harbor to his patented “Whaleback” design.  To promote his company he decided to send a Whaleback Steamship with a cargo of grain across the Atlantic Ocean to England.  The ship named the Charles W. Wetmore sailed across the Great Lakes through the Saint Lawrence River Rapids and arrived safely in England.  

This strange looking vessel, seaworthy enough to cross the Atlantic was a sensation with the British Public.  Naval Architects, while less impressed examined the ship and the Doxford Shipyard produced an Improved Whaleback Ship that became known as The Turret Ship.  Over 170 Turret Ships were eventually built.  They were especially popular with ship owners in trades requiring requiring passage through the Suez Canal as their narrow weather decks took advantage of a loophole in the way that the Canal calculated tolls.

A year after launch of the first Turret Ship, a competitor named Ropner built a Trunk Ship copying many of the features of the Turret Ship.  In fact the designs were so similar that Ropner was sued by Doxford for patent infringement and the register documents for at least one Trunk Ship described her as a Turret Ship.

The Turret Ship and the Trunk ship were the first of several designs of “Novel Ships” built by British shipbuilders between the 1890’s and the standardized designs of World War I.  This all began with an obscure shipbuilder in Duluth, MN.

Roger

I only just stumbled into your thread and I have to praise your fantastic work. In a quite minute, I will digest it completely as I really like the feeling for the sea in your pictures.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

• 2 weeks later...