Jump to content

Queen Anne Barge by Trussben - FINISHED - Syren Ship Model - 1:24


Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Ive decided to start a build log of the Syren Ship model, Queen Anne Barge at 1:24 scale that I managed to purchase from Chuck.

The kit was purchased as a nice diversion away from my build of the Pegasus which has been slogging away for several years now

and I wanted something that I could finish reasonably quickly.

As of all things designed and produced by Chuck, I was not surprised on opening the box to be greeted by top quality components

and plans, instructions were downloaded from his site. I shall not post pics of all the items as another builder ( Sam ) has already done

that.

I have started by completing the keel, all parts fitted together perfectly with no issues being seen so far, I will start putting together

the frames and see how this unique approach that Chuck has devised for floor and futtock framing works.

 

Ben

 

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_E2207.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So here are all the frames assembled and adjusted to fit in the build board. No issues seen at all, you just have to be careful to only glue one floor and futtock at a time to make sure they don’t get mixed up.

Getting the loose but not too loose fit of the tabs into the build board just takes a little time and care to get just right.

Next up will be glueing the keel assembly onto this framing.

 

ben

E2CFB267-D7E2-4F1C-9145-9BBC7E1B427D.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks good Ben...  Nicely done.

 

Be careful to make sure that the frames are facing the correct way.  Its tricky because they are upside down.  I think you might have one or two facing the wrong direction in the photo.  They switch direction at frame "0".  One "0" frame faces one direction and the other  "0" frame starts all of them going the other direction.

 

Check your forward "0" frame and your forward "A" frame. ;)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ben

 

I'm leaning towards the tung oil also. I'd like something a little "warmer" if that makes any sense in the finish.

I haven't run any tests yet though.

I've even given some thought to the process the "Russian Builders" use with bithuman (sp) but that may be too aggressive.

 

Sam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are some pictures of the framing that has now been faired using medium grit paper and emery boards.

A lot of care needs to be taken to not break any of the frames and the tiny tabs that hold them together, and even then I had a few whoops moments.

 

Ben

2CA3CD5E-E993-4B3C-9D47-84180ECFA31B.jpeg

AD2597F0-7DC9-4ED3-B6A4-CB75F5A6BC54.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike,

 

I was using a very flexible battern made out of holly to check the lay between frames while I progressively sanded to what I thought was a good result ( same as what I did on my Pegasus POF ) which turned out to be just enough to remove the laser char completely from the frames.

 

ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...