HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

seriously, have you guys thought about opening a private chat log for all this banter? having to wade through 10 pages of "hanging from the rafters", "pulling up a pew", etc, and other non related comments to the build is a bit much I reckon. having served on the now gone DE's, I was really looking forward to following this build of one of our countries great vessels. but I fear it has now just passed into a more social chit/chat type log.

anyway, more build/pics, less mindless banter I, and many others, say. 

of course I will probably be shot down in flames by certain admins for posting this, but, its supposed to be a build log, not a review of the days coffee cup get together.

cheers

chris

34 minutes ago, cog said:

Never understood, why the French didn't try getting a foothold in Scotland, and subsequently move South ...

Now you are thinking like a Viking.:o

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Greg,

Did you find anything on radar, I know those have been changed a couple of times type 251 and 271 but those numbers merely get me a description, nothing solid on images. The rangefinder I couldn't get any information on, although, the pictures show a far larger one than the kit supplies. Did you have more luck on those two items?

The crow's nest at the front mast is sited wrong in the building instructions. There are two possibilities,:

1 halfway up the lower spar (half above, half beneath)

2 between the upper and lower spar (hight may differ, but no higher than half way)

So I ripped it off again, and will make a new one from brass tubing (more in style with the mast)

An interesting tidbit from the book:

All water had to be pumped to the respective upper containers by hand, whether salt water for the heads, or fresh water for other purposes. That was done on daily basis. I can't imagine that to be much fun on the Notherly convoy duties!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Gotta realize a lot of the earlier radar equipment may have been intentionally obscured, since radar was still a secret of sorts. I've seen pictures from the various photo collections that had been classified during WW II, but are now OK to publish, with these antennae blurred. And others with high definition pictures. Have to keep digging in the archives. All prt of the fun we have researching our hobby.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, cog said:

He tried enough times, didn't he! now that's a thought ... it still would be a penal colony though ... so what's the difference, the French being more/less lenient ... your ancesters loosing their heads to the iron lady - in that case, you wouldn't be here right now ... and it would have been the FRN Vendetta ... although I have to admit that you Aussies have used the kitchens of all immigrants far better than the other English colonies - penal or not.

Now that you've mentioned it, my wife has learned of many of her ancestors who lost their heads to "the iron lady". One she was showing me just in the past couple of days was 60 years old when they lost their head. B)

Ken,

No radar before WWII, at least not in WWI. I should have known (message to myself: idiot, idiot, idiot) just radio. Hence search to no avail.

Bashed the range finder at 0.75cm width, 1 cm height. Next crow's nest, should be a walk in the park ... but for me eyes.

Carl

Early radars (early WW II) were large arrays. But pictures didn't show them due to wartime censorship. Heck, even radio was pretty primitive, too. Morse code anyone? The rangefinders were pretty state of the art, with their optics and mechanical computers. Good luck with that rangefinder. And you could use a 55 gallon barrel for that crow's nest.:P:)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

by 1944 the search light tower was replaced by radar which just looks like a large barrel. It’s referenced in one of the AWM photos. 

Vossy, you may be able to source some other photos being ex RAN. I’d love to build her in the final configuration but not without a decent set of images. The AWM ones are too distant 

Greg

1 hour ago, RGL said:

by 1944 the search light tower was replaced by radar which just looks like a large barrel. It’s referenced in one of the AWM photos. 

Vossy, you may be able to source some other photos being ex RAN. I’d love to build her in the final configuration but not without a decent set of images. The AWM ones are too distant 

your best bet, if you haven't looked there already, might be https://www.facebook.com/navalhsa/

I spent most of my time on the DE's hence my avatar of HMAS Torrens which was home for a few years.

cheers

chris

hey there gents........off the radar for a couple of days.   I'm in the middle of my work week,  but I thought I'd check in and give my report.   I'm sorta waiting on that PE to come in.....I did some fitting with the hull and decks.  they are ready to go,  but now I need to decide which way to go with regards to time line.   I hope I get some fancy stuff in the PE........you two are adding likely more than I will.  at this scale......it going to be a feat to bend to shape.  I spent Friday making sails for another project.

I see you both have been keeping yourselves busy...what I'm seeing looks very good.   great job with the hull work Greg........mine will likely come out half as good.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

18 hours ago, vossy said:

your best bet, if you haven't looked there already, might be https://www.facebook.com/navalhsa/

I spent most of my time on the DE's hence my avatar of HMAS Torrens which was home for a few years.

cheers

chris

Is that ex RN Leander type.?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Carl,  she is looking really nice mate  very sharp building and painting.;)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

At first I couldn't figure out what was happening on the mast in the pictures, (They come out kind of small on my computer) the silly thing kept moving around picture to picture!:huh: when I when I went to the first enlargement it then looked like the mast was in a fog that the ship was sailing through and was on another ship alongside and thought you may have converted your build to a diorama. At last I was able to enlarge it to the point where I could see that it is sticking in you 'holding' foam waiting painting and installation.

It's clear I need glasses! But it is also clear, when I blow the pictures up that you are making a very nice version of this small ship. LOVE the canvas dodgers on the bridge!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

13 minutes ago, lmagna said:

At first I couldn't figure out what was happening on the mast in the pictures, (They come out kind of small on my computer) the silly thing kept moving around picture to picture!:huh: when I when I went to the first enlargement it then looked like the mast was in a fog that the ship was sailing through and was on another ship alongside and thought you may have converted your build to a diorama. At last I was able to enlarge it to the point where I could see that it is sticking in you 'holding' foam waiting painting and installation.

It's clear I need glasses! But it is also clear, when I blow the pictures up that you are making a very nice version of this small ship. LOVE the canvas dodgers on the bridge!

You could just settle for an optivisor :huh:

Carl

look'in very nice Carl.......you both seem to be going for the lighter color scheme.   I guess I'll have to go with the darker scheme.  the admiral told me that she got an e-mail........they just dropped the PE in the post.   took me almost two weeks to get the model......I can just imagine when I'll see the PE!   what color gray are you two using?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

6 minutes ago, RGL said:

I won’t use Vajello as it does not like me.

Can you remind me why? I know you posted it somewhere in one of your other builds, but along with my eyes my mind is getting dimmer also and I can't remember what you said.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks CDW

I was wondering because I used it on my last car build, (Mini Cooper to match my real car. Red/black) and it came out pretty good. That was a gloss though, I suppose a flat could be another matter.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey