USS Arizona by popeye the sailor - Revell - 1:426 scale - PLASTIC

I've heard a lot about the Banner kit........I've never seen the kit.  I'm not sure what you mean about pre thirties fit....I have her pre Pearl Harbor......I hope I have the tops right?!?!  glad to hear your getting back to the table......I took a ten year vacation myself in my forties ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

What I meant by mid-thirties fit was how the ship was fitted out prior to her 1936 refit and upgrading.  Behind the battery house at the top of her tripod superstructure/foremast she had a vertical mast with two yard arms.... in her last general refit the lower yardarm behind the foremast battery house was removed in favor of the latticework booms that angle out and back from the base of the battery house....

ie, it didn't have both the yard and booms.... prior to '34 it had masts/yards, after it had booms on the lower foremast....

The Revell represents her in the early to mid thirties.....

The Banner Models 1/350th scale USS Arizona represents her as in her '41 onward fitment..... Real close to her December 1941 outfitting.  (I have both a partial Booklet of General Plans for her '27 - '28 refit and her 1934 refit with revisions to 6/3/41 that is almost complete) 

That would place her right up to her November '41 yard availability to repair her collision damage.  They are public domain, I got them from the national archives and will be happy to provide them if you would like.....

175555-11104-pristine.jpg

Personally I think it was released to see if there was a market for more 1/350th scale ships than just the limited offerings from Tamiya at that date..... (it sold like hotcakes to starving people in the winter)

the rest is history, it was followed by Trumpeter with their release of the USS Hornet in 1.350th scale which was the second most desireable 1/350th scale subject modeler's wanted so much to see available. (and Trumpeters first official release. (they also make the Banner AZ) 

As you can probably tell by now, I"m a real fan of the ship.

But anyway. Thanks for the welcome, I'm slowly dusting off the old skill set and getting back into building....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

that must have been her big refit at Norfork.   in the early stages,  I thought it might be neat to do her with the cage masts that she had back in the twenties......there is after market out for it.  never a bad thing to have a favorite ship ;)   for the time being....I'll work on getting this one finished.  not a lot left to do,  but it's time consuming.  I'll keep an eye out for when you post a build log....if you model the Arizona,  I'm sure it will be interesting :)   always a pleasure to meet new folk.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 9 months later...

hi all.....it's been a while since I last did anything on this model.   my hope is still to clear up some of these projects......some so close to the finish line,  I can taste it!  so many other projects I'd love to get into,  but I feel pulled to play catch up...........meanwhile,  the stash grows :ph34r:   I resorted to using the search button to find this log.......I'll get use to the new format one of these days.

so.......catching up to where I am with this project........I figured what to do about the fore mast com wires.   the stand has been assembled,  but I changed my mind.....I am not going to paint it.  I like the looks of the wood grain stand,  and so,  the model was cemented in place on the stand.  it will give me a firm footing as I start to rig her.   

189736090_1.jpg.a4a605c26c0d52cbd87bca758f4e7e7c.jpg

the masting PE from the Hood set was trimmed and cemented along the underside of the arms.  the tiny eyelets will be the starting points for the com wires.

1904974413_2.jpg.00f0a848aa8d1ef4e2ae74785d7d8ac3.jpg

just to refresh your memory of the stand.  it looks good in contrast to the deck :)   I started the rigging,  by adding the line from the aft flagstaff to the main mast.  it was later found to be incorrect.........it was at that point,  I went on another of my wild tangents,  leaving the model to languish on the main table,  gathering dust :( ......I know........shame on me.   this marked the first thing I should do......correct this bit of rigging.  there is to be a smaller bit that bisects this line and attaches to the lower portion of the mast.

945483703_1.jpg.8058d761a43db8f2946729e08458ab43.jpg

1462029915_3.jpg.014d007e63437fa115533b89cf843681.jpg

the line was moved down the mast to the yard and another bit was put in its place.  pardon the blurry nature of the pictures......I need better lighting for the new camera {long story as to what happened to the old camera}.  I'm working on the light issue.....flash seems to rule here {for now ;) }.   the fore mast is just dry fitted for now.  the props were added next........note that the port side turn one way,  and the starboard side turns the opposite way.

1004901799_2.jpg.02480baa2e16c15a7ddb57ca5bc76a38.jpg

beside the rigging,  there are still a few parts that need to be added.......not many.   I began to add the com wires to the fore mast,  but it proved a bit cumbersome,  so it was cemented in place.  this should make it easier to deal with,  as I add the rest.

713588281_4.jpg.523e00faef652dcebed89df78b2a50f8.jpg

I'm using fine electrical wire to rig her........it can be a trial.......it bends easily,  but can be adjusted and straightened.   the one thing good about using this stuff,  is that humidity won't affect it.  the bisecting line was added after the stern line was repositioned.  during this time,  I have made forages in craft stores,  and I have seen different types of bead wire and such,  that can also be used for rigging.   some are so thin,  they have the look and flexibility of thread.

625284287_5.jpg.6361abd6dc264321e250ef5900a4d433.jpg

so ......this is where I am with the model.  I hope I can get this one over the finish line.  compared to the first time I built this model,  so long ago,  I've done so much more to enhance her.  more soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

managed to do a couple more things before getting the bum's rush out the door.   we have our tree....we agreed...not a big tree.  so I went half way! :D   it still eats up the space I allotted for it.  here's another addition to the rigging.....

128601547_1.jpg.0b10e87d6303ac08f46b1623d189e401.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good to see you back on this Denis  - sure is coming on with the masts/wires added.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

thanks OC......and to those who hit the like button :)   I've been trying my damndest to get back to the main table......this seems to be the only approach to do it.   the Vendetta is there too......that will be next.  if the rigging goes well......I have done it in the past,  but things usually break,  so I hesitate....I may even bring the Joan of Arc back to the table and rig it.  I work on her some more last night and have most of the main rigging done........then I can get to the more tedious stuff.  I even have some more progress pictures.

the fore flag staff has braces on it,  but the kit doesn't include them.  I made some up from thin wire.

34483799_2.jpg.50afa6b320ef56a517b22a027247a207.jpg

still a little blurry.......I'm working on sharper pictures.  there are also a pair of paravane tripods near the bow......I want to add them as well {I hope I have some PE to play with ;) }  I did a fair job with the railings.......not totally happy with them,  but they are there.......it's tedious to do a deck line like this.  

the model does  have it's shortcomings,  but I think I did well to work around them.   when the bow flagstaff was dry,  the main rigging line was added,  and the pair that connects to the ends of the fore mast arms.

612950012_3.jpg.765ed1098b13f2e54e2cf7dc8c48f3d7.jpg

1821571491_4.jpg.e0e639fdc37d742ff8ae1fab1cd0bacf.jpg

the pictures are still a bit dark.........this morning I moved the model to the spare room,  which is a lot brighter and may negate the use for flash.

374537813_5.jpg.db583a44de1ee1e8b2eeefae99b48914.jpg

85390867_6.jpg.787489a56ed663fc42e8c39a54db66f5.jpg

158016543_7.jpg.a10fad9ba8917995baec43ef2fb0b05e.jpg

the rigging when done will be painted flat black......I don't want to do it now,  and have it suffer from flaking when trying to adjust it.  there is a double com line that spans between the control towers.  I thought I had a pair of triangular 'brackets' in plastic,  but I think they would be out of scale,  so I found some bits in PE that I might be able to use.  I may not get the complete rigging configuration on this model......bit I want to get some of the good stuff.   a kind of experiment for future projects.......and if my Christmas list pans out ;)   more coming........one more pair of parts to add......decals..

...and of course,  the rest of the rigging.  I appreciate you folks being patient ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

this was a tedious task.......there were many cuss words uttered.   I have a flashlight on my desk.......dropping this thing to the floor.....well,  I can safely say I got my exercises at the same time!  as mentioned,  I had a pair of plastic triangular pieces,  but even if I knew where they were,  they'd likely be out of scale.  so I have these six pieces of PE......I will have tie them together.

1697977443_1.jpg.2835e24eee95fde628d6992aac5b6f48.jpg

I'm trying to use macro with the new camera....this is how they come out with poor lighting and flash.  after trying a few times to join them with tweezers and the wire........I even tried my 'helping hands',  it was to no avail.   I needed to try the jig method.  so with three long pins and a piece of wood,  I was able to capture all three in the configuration I needed.  teasing them up the pins and away from the wood,  I was able to give each joint a jot of CA.

963668278_2.jpg.bd2df8904843d329d71b326e4ae2114d.jpg

725337962_3.jpg.0f245e4bb7810fe6bc99134526a09bec.jpg

joining these two together with equal lengths of wire was another source of aggravation...a lot more discouraging words.......trying to keep the 'wrapping' down to a minimum {I didn't want it to look gaudy}.  it was frustrating to say the least,  and I managed to come up with this.

124313222_4.jpg.441000467675c7d3b87573728d1cc674.jpg

1560963861_5.jpg.0481deddf12d9ea1bb02d2f5b47147fe.jpg

I took into account,  the length between the towers,  it was made short enough to add some wire at both ends.  now I needed to drill a hole in the aft tower......my short pin vise wasn't going to cut it.   I have a couple of spiral push drill {pin vise}...I hardly use them.......I found it long enough to do the job :)   for all the aggravation and bad language,  and the time it took to make this thing........it took less than ten mins to install it! :wacko::rolleyes:   after trimming the excess,  I took these pictures.

1139529668_6.jpg.d88856a9134205ba747e750e286fa363.jpg

728287916_7.jpg.b26a5f91e315d75b436f0ecb467bac60.jpg

I wasn't happy with these pictures,  so I took a couple more in the spare room,  where there is more light.  still using macro.

704966545_8.jpg.9a45a8252b8ea27f6bbfe060b5b58faa.jpg

87022655_9.jpg.4a8dfe9d5012bb329731608d5bd03475.jpg

to see what the pictures would look like with some real illumination,  I moved a side project I'm doing over and took pictures on the table.   this is my third table by the way.......I wasn't satisfied having two.

1986604844_10.jpg.01a0a0f53fb70df3f6dfa8c79601157a.jpg

1701265440_11.jpg.e9c82b255c6330beda09a8e6c2cbdd92.jpg

I didn't have to do too much primping either.......   to be honest,  I don't believe I've ever made one like this before.  kinda neat I was able to pull it off ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Does your admiral give you that look and utter those words  "if its going wrong and you are not enjoying it  -  why do it"?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Does your admiral give you that look and utter those words  "if its going wrong and you are not enjoying it  -  why do it"?

OC.

From the "how to start a fight" department obviously.   The non-retalatory answer is " because i like a challenge".  At no point use the word "challenge" and "you" in the same sentence for the response.   :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

At no point use the word "challenge" and "you" in the same sentence for the response.

Amen Brother,

I prefer dealing with the admiralty rather than the war department thank you... Both are a challenge at times, but at least the Admiralty doesn't involve swinging skillets...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Looking great Popeye, you're on the home stretch!  Nice work!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

sorry John.........afraid I don't have that date marked  :D    we really have to get on the same page........ :D :D   I had been thinking of her these past few weeks.......all that work into something that just sits on the table.   I thought of the mistake I made on the stern rigging I started to do.  the fore mast with the two PE arms on it has been sitting on my desk all this time........haunting the bejeebers out of me.  next thing you know,  she was on my desk.......not much more to finish her.  thanks :) 

no....she doesn't say that OC.........she says something like....."you wanted to do it...."   she happier though when I'm working on a wooden boat.....she's not to big on the plastic stuff.  she is to the point though,  that whenever I need anything..." well,  scratch built it......you can scratch build anything!"  we had a 12 foot tall snowman inflatable on the front lawn.........I say 'had',  because the upper blower motor crapped out and it won't fully inflate.  she thinks I can fix anything.......mainly because I hate tossing things out if I can fix it.  I still need to look at it...might be a power issue.

what not to say to start a war.......that's not too tough.  man had always had the ability to literally hang himself at the worst moments ;)   case in point of this one episode we had.   we usually don't argue....we debate.   during one of our 'heated debates'  {in the evening,  she get into what I call lounge wear}, she looked at me and told me she was going in the bedroom to change.   being dubbed with the gift of wit was a detriment to me here...'cuz I replied  "for the better I hope!"  needless to say,  the doghouse was the warmest place in the house that evening ;) 

thanks Mike :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis, what were you thinking (or not). Sounds like something I'd say, though.;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

the doghouse was the warmest place in the house that evening ;) 

Kinda like the Admiral saying "I was thinking" and getting the response "did it hurt?"  😁😁😁😁

She’s looking great popeye! Excellent timing on bringing her back out, given today’s date. 

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

I really didn't have the thought in mind Paul,  but yes,  it's Pearl Harbor's anniversary.  I work on whatever comes to mind.......and believe me,  I have plenty of active projects to think about  ;) 

it was some time ago.......too many situation comedies :blush:  i've modified my watching to dramas ;)   she still loves her Popeye.......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: