USS Tennessee 1869 by Keith Black - scale 1:120 - Wood Hull Screw Frigate - ex Madawaska 1865

Thank you, Andy and Eric. Your support means so much to me. 

Sorry to hear about Maggie!  I hope she gets better soon!  We will be praying for her here!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Keith...I'm so sorry this tragedy has come into your home.  I am praying for Maggie, and that God may grant her a full recovery.  And that your joy may be full.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Keith, this news is heartbreaking and I'm so saddened that the two of you are having to endure such an event.  It is good that you found Maggie so quickly after the event as time is critical in these situations.  I pray for you both and wish Maggie a full and speedy recovery.  Be strong.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Gary, thank you for your prayers. I'd been home about 15 minutes when she had her stroke, If it had happened the following day I wouldn't have gotten home till almost 11 PM.

Maggie is doing better than can be expected as today marks her first week in rehabilitation. She is walking well with the aid of a walker and she's making some progress with her left fingers. Looking back on my stroke and recovery she's way ahead of my timeline which I think is due to her receiving tPA and my not receiving the clot buster.

She's still having difficulty swallowing and they continue to use a gum based thickener for her liquid intake and it's play havoc with her digestive track. She told them that if they continued to use the thickener she was going to quit drinking. That's the girl I married!:)

3 hours ago, Keith Black said:

She told them that if they continued to use the thickener she was going to quit drinking. That's the girl I married!:)

You two have had some high hurdles in life to get over. It sounds like you are getting over them. An inspiration for all of us!

16 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Maggie is doing better than can be expected as today marks her first week in rehabilitation. She is walking well with the aid of a walker and she's making some progress with her left fingers.

Wonderful. so good to hear!

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thank you, Tom. Thank you, Gary.

We should hear this afternoon when the rehab facility expects Maggie to be released to come home. God's will be done. 

Very glad to hear that your wife is on the way to mend. Well, we are not really acquaintances, but it was the second time within a few days that I had bad news about the health of a wife and this is always disturbing.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Eberhard and Rick, thank you. The ICU department at the UM hospital was absolutely wonderful, I'm eternally grateful to the whole staff.

It's a miracle I tell ya, a miracle. Maggie is to be released from the rehabilitation facility this next Tuesday! After only three weeks since suffering a critical stroke she gets to come home. A very sincerer thank you to all of you for your prayers and well wishes. I can't say 'thank you' enough. 

The next phase of me being the primary caregiver is going to be a challenge. I've prayed for the strength of a thousand Angels so that I'll be able to manage her needs. 

Again, thank you.

Keith

That is fantastic news Keith!!! You got this!

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Great news Keith, I am happy to hear of Maggie's recovery; that will also be a great weight off your mind.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I'm sorry to hear of the stroke but happy to hear that recovery is going well, Keith.  Wish I could offer more than prayers my friend.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks so much for finding the time to keep us updated in what's an overwhelming period. We're all here pulling for you both. 

On 2/20/2024 at 10:13 PM, Keith Black said:

She is walking well with the aid of a walker and she's making some progress with her left fingers.

That is wonderful news Keith and getting Maggie home so soon is a miracle.

On 2/20/2024 at 10:13 PM, Keith Black said:

She told them that if they continued to use the thickener she was going to quit drinking.

When my mother-in-law had a stroke that affected her swallowing she found rich tea biscuits dunked in malt whiskey stimulated her recovery enormously. In fact, as I recall, she continued with the habit well after her swallowing returned to normal.

P.S. I have started being more attentive to my wife since you posted your news. She now thinks I am having an affair!

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

On 2/22/2024 at 5:01 PM, mbp521 said:

That is fantastic news Keith!!! You got this!

Thank you, Brian. I wish I was that confident.  

On 2/22/2024 at 7:51 PM, BANYAN said:

Great news Keith, I am happy to hear of Maggie's recovery; that will also be a great weight off your mind.

Thank you, Pat. A lot of the weight will be lifted when she can get out of her chair by herself and not have to depend on a walker. 

On 2/22/2024 at 11:28 PM, mcb said:

Glad to hear that things are looking better now.

Take care,

Thank you, mcb.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:55 PM, mtaylor said:

I'm sorry to hear of the stroke but happy to hear that recovery is going well, Keith.  Wish I could offer more than prayers my friend.

Thank you, Mark. Your prayers are needed more than anything else and it means the world to me that you would do so.

On 2/24/2024 at 1:07 PM, Rick310 said:

Wonderful news that Maggie is coming home!!  That means so much!  Continued prayers for both of you!

Thank you, Rick.

On 2/26/2024 at 8:16 AM, Cathead said:

Thanks so much for finding the time to keep us updated in what's an overwhelming period. We're all here pulling for you both. 

Thank you, Eric.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:59 AM, FlyingFish said:

Pleased to hear the news that Maggie is doing well and coming home. It will be an enormous relief to you both, and a spur to further progress.

Thank you, Andy. Maggie's coming home is the next phase in her recovery and an enormous amount of responsibility on myself. It's a daunting task knowing her recovery depends on my efforts. 

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

That is wonderful news Keith and getting Maggie home so soon is a miracle.

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

When my mother-in-law had a stroke that affected her swallowing she found rich tea biscuits dunked in malt whiskey stimulated her recovery enormously. In fact, as I recall, she continued with the habit well after her swallowing returned to normal.

P.S. I have started being more attentive to my wife since you posted your news. She now thinks I am having an affair!

Thank you, Keith for the well wishes and and even more so for the laugh. There's not enough laughter that comes with this primary caregiver's job. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello Keith.  How is Maggie's recovery progressing and how are you holding up?

Gary

Edited by FriedClams

Completed Scratch Builds

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, FriedClams said:

How is Maggie's recovery progressing and how are you holding up?

Thank you for asking, Gary. 

She's slowly getting better. It's not fast and furious but at times she's walking about the house independent of her walker and she's gaining some mobility in her left hand. Her mouth on the left side is still not cooperating like it needs to and seems to be that which is lagging the furthest behind in improvement, this affects her eating and speaking.

Whereas with myself, life is moving at a fast and furious pace. It's one thing or another from 8 AM till 9 PM everyday. I wish I was younger, I wish I was a better cook, I wish a lot of things but it is what it is and one gets through this one hour at a time, one day at a time. 

Thank you again, Gary and thank you to all of you for your continued prayers. The answer to prayer is the only reason we've made it this far!

Keith

Edited by Keith Black

Posted (edited)

Hello Keith,

It is good to hear that Maggie continues to improve even if progress in some areas are slower than others.   My understanding of this is that slowdowns and even temporary setbacks are not uncommon.  

I can only imagine how busy you must be and the level of stress you’re experiencing. It must be exhausting.  All you can do is your best.  Try to find some time for yourself to decompress on a daily basis.

I wish you both a speedy return to some level of normalcy and a peaceful future.

Gary

Edited by FriedClams

Completed Scratch Builds

Thanks for the update on Maggie, Keith and on you.   I know the feeling of running amok like a headless chicken but in the end, it's worth it.   Hang in there, both of you will get through this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 1:57 PM, Keith Black said:

I wish I was younger, I wish I was a better cook, I wish a lot of things but it is what it is and one gets through this one hour at a time, one day at a time. 

Hats off to you Keith, it seems to me that you are doing a marvellous job. You will know you are on the home straight when Maggie starts complaining about the cooking and offers to take over.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Gary, Mark, and Keith thank you for your kind thoughts and a huge thank you to all who have prayed for Maggie and myself.

It's been a couple of weeks since I posted a Maggie update........Maggie had me put away her walker last week. She still kinda shuffles but she's getting around under her on steam, even the left side of her face is getting better and meal times are less messy. Her left hand is now her major rub and affects her spirits the most due to the fact she can't knit and quilt. Continued prayers are much appreciated.

Our new life has developed a rhythm. I'm still busy what seems most of the day but I am now able to catch the occasional  afternoon nap. Having just celebrated my 77th birthday naps are dang important! My cooking skills are improving, thank God for Google. It's like doing research for ships but receipts instead. Keith, I don't wanna get too good at this but for Maggie's nutritional needs I have to be somewhat accomplished.  

Thank you to each and every one of you my dear MSW family,

Keith 

Thanks for the Maggie update Keith. Glad to hear she is progressing nicely. We’ll still continue to send healing prayers your way.

Google is a wonderful resource for recipes, I’ve tried several out myself with some success. And happy belated birthday, hopefully you celebrated it with a nice long nap. 😁

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways