Eiffel Tower by Mark Pearse - FINISHED - father/daughter build

My daughter & I finished our co-build, a timber scale model of the Eiffel Tower. I'm not sure what scale it is, but it's about 550mm tall, the base & solid details are Kauri Pine, the structure is from pre-cut American Walnut 2x1 & 1x1mm strips, & the stage levels are 2mm plywood. The top is soldered brass, & the lighting is LED.

Our daughter has long been fascinated with this wonderful structure, & because she has always preferred to make something than to play with it I proposed we make something challenging together. It's taken more than 2 years & has been fun, difficult & a great experience all round. 

A special note is on the the LED lights, which are especially nice & it's worth noting that they came from https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk , the ever helpful Jennifer Smith patiently helped us to resolve a wiring layout & sent the very nice & appropriate small spots. See how the shadowing on the walls is, that's just from these tiny spots. The spotlights are mounted on timber bases, similar to a timber cotton thread spool.

The shadowing on the wall is fantastic, & we kept on a table in the corner so that the lighting looks good & it won't get bumped.

IMG_6801.thumb.jpg.67c42de0980521d8149ea7bd5697a170.jpg

IMG_6797.thumb.jpg.c947d1675948090ab7a3daf759827cde.jpg

IMG_6804.thumb.jpg.ff24489f67e9e98295905affc50971ae.jpg

What a great thing to do with your daughter Mark! You can both be very proud of the results.

Wow!! That is amazing. Would you mind posting some daylight pictures?

Incredible build Mark.

Does she get to keep it in her room now that it is finished?  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Wonderful build. You must be very proud of your Daughter.

I always wanted to build one of these when I was younger but never could locate a decent set of plans. That was before the internet though maybe now is the time to revisit it.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Sweet work, and as a bonus, you and her had a project.  I hope there's more on the horizon for both of you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's a beautiful model, beautifully executed. Strange that the tower was so disliked by artists and architects when it was first built, as to our eyes it is a thing of beauty. But the writer Guy de Maupassant hated it so much he always ate lunch at the base of the tower, because it was the only place in Paris from which he couldn't see it. I've been up to the first level, but no higher (I chickened out).

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Thank you everyone, the heartfelt responses are great & I'll be sure to show my daughter the interest in our project. 

The drawing was from www.architecturalprints.com.au & we scaled photocopies to suit. I don't have progress photos but the method was old-school: cardboard backing with the photocopies on top & covered in plastic film, the sides of the tower were cut & then pinned to the board, & glued with PVA - the brownish Titebond is a good colour match.

I will attached some daylight photos below, they will show also the wiring, the lights & the details more clearly. One note is that the wiring is done so that a DC transformer plugs from a wall plug to the socket on the side; & the wall plug (power point) is hard wired so the tower can be turned on from a usual household wall light switch if you leave the tower's toggle switch on.

Lou, we agreed it should sit on a corner table in the Living Room, it's safer in the corner & the light effects are nice. 

John, it could be fun for her to make a nautical model, but honestly I'm struggling to keep up with the things she makes....recently it's functioning lolly dispensers from cardboard, a log-cabin house from scrolled paper,  & a copy of her favourite going-out shoe in cardboard & string.... I'm the one that's looking very short of ideas...a boat.

Steven, it's a vey interesting object to look at as you sip something relaxing - the balance between visual stability of the wide base & the stretched length of the top part is very interesting. A milestone in engineering, prefabrication & structural aesthetics.

IMG_6806.thumb.jpg.4c38860480d5353e1ab88579053f9652.jpg

IMG_6808.thumb.jpg.3f426e2c2710de692ffb4c7867ccf779.jpg

the brass work was interesting work - discussing how to make it:

IMG_6809.thumb.jpg.cfa91e0b85747c6ccd26fb428186705d.jpg

low voltage plug, toggle switch set back in a strip at the base::

IMG_6810.thumb.jpg.c6650907eab2fe56c188deebab56c107.jpg

wiring layout, resolved with assistance from small scale lights; working this out was new & the decisions were shared; hot-melt glue was handy & fast

IMG_6811.thumb.jpg.4ba4110a7e0cc10e67d3ad8cfaa3240e.jpg

the paper-scroll log cabin, no technical assistance from dad in this case:

IMG_6813.thumb.jpg.44df19dbc8a921ead110dd7f1e3e20e5.jpg

chiming in a bit late.......but you answered some of the questions I had.   it's such an interesting model....the architecture and construction is really stunning.   I'm amazed that this isn't a kit.......the workmanship you two did on this model is really precise.  surly there are other landmarks that could be done.......bridges come to mind,  if you enjoy this type of construction.

very nice model.......the display is really ingenious ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Mark

It sounds like you have a real budding architect on your hands, or a very diversified interior decorator! Like Denis said there are any number of structural designs available in a number of mediums. One of our members just finished a card model of the  Sydney Opera House. 

Good luck in your and her continuing efforts. I am certain that if nothing else you will be building many lasting memories.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey