Yukikaze by Javlin - FINISHED - Hasegawa - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Japanese destroyer

1487057603_Maya001.thumb.JPG.d25a22ffc5fd9f350e095b1b5d11bf9e.JPGI started this one last night nice fit on the hull and started drilling out port holes not many to do may step up to some weathering on this one.This kit comes with some PE that is supplied for railing ,paddles for LB and some antenna (?) . ;)Kevin

Japanese destroyers 388'L X 35'B were big compared to our Gleaves 348'LX36'B

Maya 003.JPG

Maya 004.JPG

Been moving along on this one had to put Maya on hold till new rigging materials arrive to facilitate that aspect of that build.The hull got painted twice did not like the first color to light and hull red is something I made up seemed that IJN at least according to Tamiya paints had a touch of brown to it :huh: The stand is an abbreviated version minus the pedestals will be making a formal stand out of Philippine Mahogany ;) Kevin

Maya 001.JPG

Maya 002.JPG

Maya 003.JPG

Edited by Javlin

Nice Javlin, I'm in for the ride on this one.  I looked at this kit but ended up going with the Hasegawa Shimakaze (also a Japanese destroyer) for my first plastic model.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

17 minutes ago, CDW said:

If you were at the top level of superstructure of Fuso, or Nagato, or any of their capital ships with those tower-like SS, it must have been quite a wild ride in rough seas.

Sure are different Jap   ships,    (sent you a couple of pm's)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

33 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice Javlin, I'm in for the ride on this one.  I looked at this kit but ended up going with the Hasegawa Shimakaze (also a Japanese destroyer) for my first plastic model.  

It has a good fit thus far Mike even the rear structure on the rear deck fit well.I got the Spirit PE 1/700 kit for the IJN Ise for the flight deck looks daunting and the Hunter wood deck looks good and thin but I might move on to the 1/350 Mogami next just to get alittle more ship PE under the belt.

Thks for looking in guys ;) Kevin

Very cool!  This PE and other add-on stuff is a whole new world from the plastic models I build as a kid.  I went with wood models because I didn't want to do the insert tab A into slot B thing, but now with the accessories, books on the modeling subjects, etc., this looks like a lot of fun.  Then again, after looking at some of the PE pieces being hair thin, maybe I'm just a masochist. 

For the Shimakaze, I ordered the Hasegawa detail set and the linoleum deck.  I also ordered an Infini Detail Up set for it - was very hard to find the kit, but found it for a reasonable price from a seller in the UK.  I also bought the Top Drawings and Super Drawings in 3D for the Shimakaze just to torture myself a little more.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I'm watching this one, if only to see how one of thoes old "classic" Hasegewa box kits builds up.

IJN ships all have a unique look, from lighters all the way to capital ships.  IJN did not put a lot of effort into complying with the various Washington Naval Treaties, and designed their ships for operating over Pacific-sized distances.  By some comparisons, they are a tad under-gunned.  But those Long Lance torpedoes more than made up fro that deficit. 

I'll hang in the back  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

14 hours ago, CapnMac82 said:

I'm watching this one, if only to see how one of thoes old "classic" Hasegewa box kits builds up.

IJN ships all have a unique look, from lighters all the way to capital ships.  IJN did not put a lot of effort into complying with the various Washington Naval Treaties, and designed their ships for operating over Pacific-sized distances.  By some comparisons, they are a tad under-gunned.  But those Long Lance torpedoes more than made up fro that deficit. 

You are correct about those torpedo's the Maya has 16 at mid deck and I was looking at the Mogami last night and it has 12 tubes in her mid section also. The 1/350 Tamiya Chikuma is in the mail for later this month :D

Chikuma.jpg

I keep moving along on this one I do not like the fit of the rear funnel to deck probably my fault everything else has fit well.I will use sg to seal the gap and repaint by hand should be OK.The wood still need abits more sanding then I will place the model on the wood like now,mark the ends of the grey platform,pull out the braces that support the ship out of the platform and lastly flip the platform top is bottom and mark holes for drilling.I am thinking of glossing the whole ship in future and do some highlights with Tamiya grey may have to be black if not dark enough cross that bridge when I get there.

Maya 002.JPG

Maya 001.JPG

Nice progress!

Love the Mogami - what an interesting subject!  

Mike

7 hours ago, Javlin said:

Mogami will be next

I was in the middle of building Mogami in 1/700 scale when my modeling mojo up and took a vacation for 18 years. I got into wooden ships when it came back around.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

8 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice progress!

Love the Mogami - what an interesting subject!  

Wait till you start yours Mike you will see the speed and ease these go together.The rigging and PE railings will slow me down some I am going to use ezline on this one and the Maya when it comes in.The Mogami is a beaut the IJN liked doing the big guns and aircraft together quite a bit.I believe that the Mogami was damaged in battle on the rear turrets and retro fitted with an aircraft carrier deck?

45 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I was in the middle of building Mogami in 1/700 scale when my modeling mojo up and took a vacation for 18 years. I got into wooden ships when it came back around.

I am interested in the 1/700 scale 1) small and 2) for Dio's they really interest me quite a bit.I have to say though what ships I have built have been in 1/400 or 1/350.;) Kevin

look really good......not familiar with the two turrets mid ship......are they launchers of sorts?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Really nice work Kevin!  What PE sets did you get?

I just got back from vacation and the Shimakaze was waiting for me.  I’m going through the kit now.  Seems fairly straightforward.  I got the Hasegawa PE set, Hasegawa linoleum deck, and the Infini Detail Up set.  There is a little overlap between the two PE sets but man, the Infini set has really amazing upgrades.    My guess is that I’ll need glasses with one or two steps of higher prescription when I’m done with it.

Mike

32 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

My guess is that I’ll need glasses with one or two steps of higher prescription when I’m done with it.

An Optivisor is an indispensable aid unless you're 18 years old with eagle-like vision. I once had vision like that, but now I am an Optivisor proponent. 😎 

Edited by CDW

I use three pairs of glasses........my normal 1.25 reading glasses.........1.50 and a pair of 2.00.   works well for me :)   I'm beginning to dabble in PE myself Mike.....not the most friendly stuff,  but when you get done,  it looks good :)   you'll have fun  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Really nice work Kevin!  What PE sets did you get?

I just got back from vacation and the Shimakaze was waiting for me.  I’m going through the kit now.  Seems fairly straightforward.  I got the Hasegawa PE set, Hasegawa linoleum deck, and the Infini Detail Up set.  There is a little overlap between the two PE sets but man, the Infini set has really amazing upgrades.    My guess is that I’ll need glasses with one or two steps of higher prescription when I’m done with it.

Mike mine came from Hasegawa and I really just gave it a quick glance not even cutting if open and looking at the instructions but it has some nice upgrades beyond what I thought was just railing.I will be going backwards if I choose on a couple of fittings this the PE painted...;) Kevin

PS: Chikuma was waiting for me when I got home just now and the PE for the ISE in 1/700 scale this handles the SS,catapults and propellars which I had to make for Maya.

Maya 006.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is slow going's for me it literally takes me about 45-60 minutes to do a railing and my AA nest look's like crap but maybe the next one won't? I have one ladder added to the front mast and also broke the top of the mast :rolleyes: but it broke in the best way one would want.That's it for now have the whole w/e off and did all the honey do's today :Whew:The wife is cleaning the wood work side for the mess she made this past week and I start my new display case 6'L X 30"H X 24"D.

Maya 001.JPG

Maya 002.JPG

Maya 003.JPG

she looks swell!   no matter the hurdles,  you got the job done ;)    very nice looking model indeed!   have a great w/e.........I've got to go work in the heat tomorrow...........s'pose to be 'round 100 :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks great Javelin!  Colors look fantastic.

Your experience with the PE makes me a little nervous.  I started going through the kit this morning, and am marking where there is duplication between the Hasegawa PE and the Infini PE.  Will probably practice on the duplicate parts to get a handle on this PE stuff.

Mike