Download the materials list for each chapter of the Winnie project

transomcap6.jpg

Listed below are the materials you will need to complete each chapter.  You will notice that they are each broken down into three categories.

- Laser cut parts and materials available for this chapter from Syren Ship Model Company.   Not all of the parts will be available laser cut for each chapter as this is basically a scratch/semi scratch project.  This list details what you get should you buy the laser cut parts.  For example,  there are no bulkheads and false keel or ply parts for sale laser cut.  You will need to buy the required sheets of 1/4" plywood sheets and cut your own parts using a scroll saw.  Depending on how this goes...a separate plywood laser cut package will be made available in the future but we want to encourage some scratch building with this project.

- Wood and materials you will still need if you do buy the laser package for each installment.  Since this isnt a kit, in most cases there will still be additional wood strips and sheets needed.  For example, upward of 300 wood strips of various sizes will need to be milled or bought to plank the exterior of the hull in installment two.

I nice checklist has been developed for each chapter of the project.  Download that here

All laser cut parts and other fittings can be bought here at Syren Ship Model Company.

Chapter One - Materials List for Winnie first.pdf

Chapter Two - Materials List for Winnie second.pdf

Chapter Three - Materials List for Winnie third.pdf

Chapter Four - Materials List for Winnie fourth.pdf

Chapter Five -  Materials List for Winnie fifth.pdf

Chapter Six - twelve pounder cannon and carriages

Chapter Seven - Materials List for Winnie seventh.pdf

Chapter Eight - Materials List for Winnie Eight.pdf

Chapter Nine - Materials List for Winnie Nine.pdf

Chapter Ten - Materials List for Winnie Ten.pdf

Chapter Eleven - Materials List for Winnie Eleven.pdf

Chapter Twelve - Materials List for Winnie twelve.pdf

The laser cut package for the first chapter is now in stock.   I should have the second chapter also in stock by Sunday, but maybe even tomorrow.   Keep in mind that in some laser cut packages you will also get some milled Cedar stripwood.  If there arent that many needed I will just include them in the laser kit for that chapter.   So buying this 1st installment you will get everything you need to finish the skeletal framing of the hull other than the Ply bulkheads.   This should get everyone up and running quickly.

The 2nd installment will not have any stripwood......its all basically hull planking for the exterior of the hull. You will need to mill those yourself.

I will let you know if any stripwood is included when I release each installment and it will also be mentioned on your chapter checklist for materials.

All laser cut parts and other fittings can be bought here at Syren Ship Model Company.

Chuck

I have been corresponding with a lot of you folks who signed up.   Many of you will be using the laser cut cedar parts which is awesome.  In fact I have sold 20 first installments already.  But it wasnt clear how many cedar sheets you would need to buy so you can mill your strips for Chapter two.   I listed the number of strips needed but not how many sheets would be needed to mill them.  Remember that it all depends on your saw and how thick your blade is.  But if you are like me and have a .030 kerf blade to rip your strips, I have reworked the materials list for chapter two.  It still lists the sizes and numbers of strips you will need.  But now I have listed the number of sheets you will need to mill them.

Please have a look and let me know if it is understandable.

Another interesting point.  Many of you have asked to ship the two laser cut installments in one box to save on shipping.  This is what I have been doing if you buy them at the same time obviously.   But after selling 20 of these, not one of you have bought any cedar sheets which would have also fit in the same box and saved you so much more on shipping.  So if you are building it in cedar, dont forget to buy the planking sheets you need for chapter two.......those are the two inch sheets I am selling.  You have to mill a lot of planking strips.  Also you will need one regular width 1/16" cedar sheet for the caprail at the bow.

You may also be interested in the fact that those cedar sheets will cost you about $48 so you can mill your strips.

Had I milled them for you....all 350 strips for chapter two, it would have cost you about $260 for the labor.   So this is the way to go.  I sure am glad I dont have to mill the 7,000 cedar strips that would have been needed for those first 20 packages I sold.  That would be insane.   Thats how many I would have actually needed to mill.  Crazy.

“For example,  there are no bulkheads and false keel or ply parts for sale laser cut.  You will need to buy the required sheets of 1/4" plywood sheets and cut your own parts using a scroll saw.”

I am confused, so what are the $200 bulkhead set available on Syren?

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

you can buy those seperately but they are not included in the chapter one installment.  I seperated them out so folks who wish to cut their own can do so and then buy the cedar or cherry parts only for that chapter.  

The Cherry version of Installment 1 is now available and in stock.  In addition, laser cut basswood brackets to hold your false keel straight and keep it from twisting are also in stock.  You get 3 pairs of basswood brackets, but the screws and washers are not included.  You will have to get those on your own.

cherry1.jpg

• 6 months later...

Materials list chapter three.....

I am starting to put these together this weekend and should have them available next week sometime.   Lots of laser cut parts and even though some are small parts the laser is set on a very slow speed and low power to etch and cut these details.   These are some sophisticated little parts like the molding and scrolls....

There will be a mixture of Boxwood and Cedar parts.  All Strip wood is included.  Hopefully I didnt forget any or the numbers I kept track of were correct.

The Cherry version will follow shortly after.

Materials List for Winnie third.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hello Chuck:

Chapter two material list show 7/32 x 3/64 n=23 strips
In chapter two, this strips are described for the two layers of wales 5 strakes each side two layers (page 2 and 7).

I just rip 23 of this strips using the recomendé 7/32 x 2” x 14” sheets.  I am finding that 23 strips are only enough for the first layer of wales.

2.5 strips per strake x 5 strakes x 2 sides = 25 strips 

please advise

Guillermo 

You are correct...that was an error on my part.  You will need more planking strips but I am out of stock with those at this time.

Chuck

• 4 months later...

Chapter four materials list has been uploaded in the first post of this topic.  I am working on finishing up the Chapter 4 of the monograph now and should have the parts ready as well.   Maybe a few days more.   

Take a look at the materials list though because when you buy the package for the laser cut parts for chapter four.....you may need to get more 2" planking sheets to rip planks/strips for your gun deck and bulwarks.  It depends on how many you have left.....I added how many I used four chapter 4 to the list....as well as two 4" wide sheets of 3/64" cedar so you guys can make your margin planks.   Rather than laser cut these it is better if you make them to fit your model perfectly.   I uploaded the template for them as they will absolutely need to be tweaked to fit your model well.   I uploaded it to the Winnie plans download forum.....where you downloaded the plans.

Chuck

• 5 months later...

Materials list for Chapter five is now uploaded. 

Materials List for Winnie fifth.pdf

I will let everyone know when I have the laser cut parts ready.  I will start cutting them this week.

Chuck

Chapter 5 parts in cedar

But actually most are Boxwood....Now I will start make the Cherry sets...excuse the bad picture taken on my phone.   Once the store opens you can order them.   I still have to write this chapter however.

chap5parts.jpg

When the store opens will you have all the past parts packages in stock including these?  Do you offer the strip wood or planks for stripping in both boxwood and pear, or just in pear?

I'm thinking about this after Cheerful, I love the project - just not sure I can go so big.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

No you have to mill your own strips although some of it is supplied with each chapter.  I dont use pear.  I have a Cedar version with some boxwood pieces just like Cheerful.  And I have another choice of everything done in Cherry.

But mostly you have to cut your own hull and deck planking strips.   Everything else is mostly supplied.

Chuck

greg..,

thanks
The headrails will be later but i did show the step by step on my cheeks and hair brackets in my build log

this is a sneak peak at one of the 12 main rail tests I made.  It is laser cut in five pieces.  Much like the hair brackets were handled using laser etched channels and inlays.

image.png

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

No you have to mill your own strips

Badly worded, of course I’d mill my own strips, nothing to it after Cheerful. I meant the wood to cut the strips from.  I thought the second option was Pear, I see it’s now it’s instead Cherry. 

So if I chose Cherry, and mill my own strips, the Cherry to do that you can provide as well as all the Winnie version of mini-kits. I guess I can see this all for myself once the store opens. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Just completed a dozen Cherry packages for chapter 5.  They will be available for purchase as soon as I reopen.  Its amazing how much other stuff I can get done if I am not making rope 12 hours a day.

chap5cherry.jpg

Already made a bunch of those....as of today I am shooting for next Monday the 22nd to reopen.

I have a crap ton of blocks to make before then.  I am currently making a dozen capstan kits in Cherry.  I already have a dozen capstan kits in cedar in stock.

Chuck

Nobody is even close to that yet. No rigging will be provided but It is likely that someone will do so.