HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

On 4/26/2021 at 7:49 PM, dvm27 said:

Just curious about the size of the rudder opening. Seems a bit small (in the photo view). If your rudder were functional would you be able to swing it to it's proper angle

Hi Greg. I've enjoyed working with the pear and happy with the way it is looking. As to the rudder opening you are correct about the openings size. I can get about 2/3 movement but I didn't want to cut away more of the frieze. So straight and steady for this Winnie! Can't get anything past those sharp eyes of yours. 

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Not so much sharp eyes as been there before. Cutting the rudder hole opening and filing it out to the correct size with all the angles involved is nerve wracking.  I too took the "close enough" approach on my Swan class model.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thank you Vlad.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I was able to find a little time to complete the rudder cover and the benches.

The parts are laser cut from cherry by Syren. and are perfect.

Now I have to clean up any dust so I can add the windows to the stern and Q galleries DSC00406.thumb.JPG.f916f942fdb2378b2d117c41547c4a28.JPG

DSC00409.thumb.JPG.4312ec7245018e7f4a61e972b7d4e906.JPGDSC00410.thumb.JPG.82db5e9254f5e6a94f736f681011eda3.JPG'. 

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I get more and more tempted when I see yours and others on this beautiful but huge ship. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you Reg, JJ and Glenn. Also for all the likes.

Glenn despite it's size it's really a lot of fun. Plus it's not rigged so that helps keep the foot print down.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

1 hour ago, Rustyj said:

despite it's size it's really a lot of fun.

I may yet. I’d go for the Cherry version. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

You are getting to all the fun stuff now

Thanks Chuck. Yes this is the reward for all the planking. 😁

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Greg!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Now that most of the dusty work is done I've installed all of the quarter gallery and stern windows. 

I also cut the inboard stern window sills. 

Next up will be the gun port lids and hinges.

DSC00420.thumb.JPG.e9fa560e0d545dcf154fd5b211297240.JPGDSC00421.thumb.JPG.2c1f34d5ae0bd865f293971e63e78c85.JPGDSC00422.thumb.JPG.eb95104236534e95c56a43e4bc46fe9b.JPGDSC00423.thumb.JPG.bf2cf620313859adf6b3e704880f272e.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

43 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Love the colors and the wood.

4 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Better every time I see it

Thanks JJ and Chuck! I'm glad I can squeeze some time in to work on her!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike. Also thanks for all the likes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Fred. She is a joy to build too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

So meticulous. Your painting and color choices are excellent, it looks natural and authentic, not over the top with the gold.  Well done!

Regards,

Glenn

23 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Your painting and color choices are excellent, it looks natural and authentic

Thanks Glenn. It's been fun trying to get a good look with the various woods and paint to accent the friezes. Now if I could just squeeze in some shop time. 

also thanks for all the likes! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Wow those colors, so warm and colorful... Maybe I’ll build a second one with your example, when this one’s finished in Alaskan Yellow Cedar. Plenty of Swiss pear lying around here, didn’t know it combines so nice with the cherry!

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 4 months later...

Hi All! Long time no see. Well life intruded on my modeling for the last few months but most

has been squared away and no longer demanding so much of my time. So now the workshop

is again open for business. 

The poor Winnie has been in dry dock all this time, covered and ignored.

DSC00425.thumb.JPG.ed9abdc905634dccc1d350a59ddce98a.JPG

I've started out small by building the ladders for the two hatches. They are ones in Cherry purchased from Syren.

DSC00426.thumb.JPG.2f6196702facfd1f2cf5e4750bcdfae0.JPG

DSC00430.thumb.JPG.283b72b75227843e3e85bef1869beb38.JPG

DSC00432.thumb.JPG.afa768a71427f73303b8fe1e99111282.JPG

Small progress but it's great to be back at it! Next up I'll be doing the gun port lids and hinges.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Looks great Rusty.   It was so good to see your Winnie in person yesterday.  It looks even better up close.   

Glad to see you back at it.

Chuck