HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

33 minutes ago, Stuntflyer said:

brush it on and then rub it off with your thumb

Thanks Mike!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Like Mike said very light coats and gently buff it off. I think I used a finger, not sure which one, and also dry brushed it. Two coats sounds right. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I've shaped the bolsters for the hawse holes and wash cant for under the lower cheek.

DSC00459.thumb.JPG.e4319cc798ed20c7cf0d81434b1e69aa.JPG

DSC00460.thumb.JPG.992313a7cc19a16aabdb02a19b6a0a3f.JPG

Also the decorative molding that is on the stem in front of the figure head was added. Drilling the hawse holes was next. I drilled a small pilot hole on an upward angle from outboard in. If you drilled straight you would be way to low. After I was happy with the location and angle with the pilot hole I used a 1/8" bit in a pin vice. I then used a round file to enlarge the holes. The inside of the holes were painted black and then pencil graphite was used to to simulate the lead pipe. Lastly the the large knee was added inboard above the hawse holes. 

DSC00470.thumb.JPG.25192821c1959c96f9a9551281421cf9.JPG

DSC00471.thumb.JPG.1de9de5063d488984a285e4db2d3b3f6.JPG

DSC00472.thumb.JPG.5398e49f8f01d196ffcf56923c467d51.JPG

Lastly I did the inboard cleats and stag horn.

DSC00473.thumb.JPG.578a2448cf6ff04075453b535de18f9d.JPG

DSC00474.thumb.JPG.eb39d4f2e004048874fe3b24fafd5efe.JPG

I thinks that completes chapter 5!  On to Chapter 6 and 24 gun carriages to build. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

That looks great Rusty! That’s such a rewarding part of the chapter to complete and complete well. I still just love how your Winnie looks with your choices of wood!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Beautiful and a real milestone.  I remember how that felt to get that done.  You will

feel the same way after getting the guns completed.

It really looks great Rusty, I hope I can get anywhere near your level of craftsmanship.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

18 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

That looks great Rusty! That’s such a rewarding part of the chapter to complete and complete well. I still just love how your Winnie looks with your choices of wood!

Thanks JJ, Looking forward to when you can unpack your Winnie!

16 hours ago, Chuck said:

Beautiful and a real milestone.  I remember how that felt to get that done.  You will

feel the same way after getting the guns completed.

Thanks Chuck, The stern and head rails were some of my biggest concerns coming into this build and relived they are finished. I'm just glad we're not doing a 1st rate guns!

15 hours ago, glbarlow said:

It really looks great Rusty, I hope I can get anywhere near your level of craftsmanship.

Thanks Glenn, Knowing your workmanship and dedication your model will be one many will reference for guidance!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Bob! Also thanks for all the likes too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank you, Vladimir. Nothing much to show right now. I've been spending the last few days making 150 eye bolts and 100 split rings. I want to concentrate on these and get them out of the way before I start on the carriages this weekend.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Here are the piles. All the split rings and eye bolts were made from 24 gauge wire.

On the left are around 140 split rings. They were formed around a #41 drill bit. 

On the right are around 315 eye bolts. The eye was formed around a #61 drill bit.

DSC00478.thumb.JPG.e0c0dd6a6e195175bd527f94765b8fec.JPG

Now the work on the carriages can commence. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks for providing the drill bit sizes, that is very helpful. Since you’re in a rhythm want to double the amount 🤣😁

Regards,

Glenn

On 12/12/2021 at 6:56 PM, Chuck said:

UGH!!!  Brings back memories for sure.

Good ones I'm sure!

On 12/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, glbarlow said:

Thanks for providing the drill bit sizes, that is very helpful. Since you’re in a rhythm want to double the amount 🤣😁

Should we be talking about rhythm method?😉

On 12/14/2021 at 2:30 PM, DaveSchmidt said:

Id like to place my order for rings and eye bolts. Those look fantastic

If I had to make these for a living I'd have to charge so much It'd cover the cost Chuck's next model! 

Making these was a real pain in the.........hands. 😂

Well while I was at it I figured I should make the larger ring bolts for the deck. There are 8 of them and Chuck used a #31 drill bit. I did not have a #31 drill bit so I looked up what size it is and found it to be 0.120. The closest I had was a 1/8" bit that is 0.125". Close enough for me. 

So I started to make them with the 24 ga. wire when I remembered that they needed to be made out of 22 ga. The one on the left is the 24 ga. You can see it is a noticeable difference.

DSC00479.thumb.JPG.767d176a38117c0347b3228b05d6a164.JPG

And here is the deck with the ring bolts installed. Nothing fancy just followed the plans.

DSC00481.thumb.JPG.2ed84814dd3a6adb8cc067097e12f3c2.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi All,

I've completed one cannon! 25 to go. 

I wanted to do one from start to finish just to see how it goes. The rest I'll work my way through assembling them in stages.

The carriages and black resin barrels are from Syren of course. Once the carriages were assembled I turned the supplied 3/64 x 3/64" boxwood strips to form the quoin handle in my dremel. Using miniature metal files I shaped them. I tried miniature diamond files but they were too course. Now I'll have to replicate them 25 more times. The barrel was cleaned up and sprayed with dull coat, weathering powder added and then another coat of dull coat. Once dry I added to the carriage and then made the cap square. You will notice the split ring for the breach rope. It has not been glued in place as I'm still contemplating adding it. If I do that will be the only rigging I'll add to the guns.

This is how it all turned out.

DSC00482.thumb.JPG.3551e0ae5bc8032dbe38c2df5283af6d.JPG

DSC00486.thumb.JPG.4053715cafceac319cdcff8e8e866adf.JPG

DSC00485.thumb.JPG.14ae522a92a0cc445348cdd23dd15adf.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Lovely work.  The small belaying pins from crafty sailor work great as quoins should you want to cut down on the time spent on assembly.  They are also pearwood which is perfect for you.

I used the crafty sailor belaying pins as quoins, the do work well. 

It’s a long way off for me but I’m thinking just breach ropes and on the ships wheel as the only rope on mine. But who knows…

I like the natural wheels, lots of char removal, so fun. 

Regards,

Glenn

17 hours ago, Chuck said:

The small belaying pins from crafty sailor work great as quoins should you want to cut down on the time spent on assembly

Thanks for the advice on the Crafty Sailor. I went on their site last night and ordered up some belaying pins. 44 minutes later I received an item shipped email. Such fast service I thought I accidentally ordered from Syren!

16 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I used the crafty sailor belaying pins as quoins, the do work well. 

It’s a long way off for me but I’m thinking just breach ropes and on the ships wheel as the only rope on mine. But who knows…

I like the natural wheels, lots of char removal, so fun. 

I agree Glenn. As far as the wheels go after 96 of them sanded down to remove the char the tips of my fingers will have all the "char" removed from them too!

Thanks everyone for stopping by and all the likes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty, I know you are a skilled craftsman, and possibly considered this, but I had great results cleaning my trucks on a low speed rotary tool..

Too late for you, but might help someone else..

Trucks2.JPG.6fbf4b01e326a3ecab4ab61dac8abad5.JPG  Trucks3.JPG.dbfdd3e9c4d06b5e8f83ab9dc1edc919.JPG

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Good idea Gregory. I'll have to try that on the guns for the quarter deck!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

P.S.

I had a few of these fly across the room before i refined the process.   My spindle is a toothpick that I forced the truck onto until it was tight,

but not so tight that it  could not turn if the torque got too high.

With hindsight, a little nut on the end of the toothpick would have kept the truck from going frisbee on me..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Just my two cents here. I tried to improve production on Cheerful by ganging them (4 at atime). Not a good idea as the char and bevel make it difficult to get it done to satisfaction. Removing the char well and getting consistent diameters was the challenge.

Rusty you are back at it with a vengence. Wonderful work. Would like to have you featured in January or february if not in person with some of the photos that cover technique. lets talk.

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

On 12/18/2021 at 1:23 PM, Gregory said:

I had a few of these fly across the room before i refined the process.

That would be a likely outcome when I try it too.

Thanks Joe. I'll be in touch!

Thanks Matt. You can see the difference between the first ones and number 300!

Thanks Frank and also all the likes!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the holiday is over and "work" resumes. The quoins arrived and I replace my hand made one. These are the 6mm size, the smallest they offer. Very well made and come in packs of ten. Size is fairly consistent with maybe 2 or 3 out of the 24 I'll use were a little smaller than the rest. Not an issue but as I had extras so I did not use those. I'm really happy with quoins and the service from Crafty Sailor. 

The one thing almost as bad as making hundreds of split rings and eye bolts is putting hundreds of split rings and eye bolts on the carriages and bulwarks.

DSC00489.thumb.JPG.a111166655fdbc189581ca2bcfead977.JPG

DSC00488.thumb.JPG.5e7e0b3529cad0683f478dfbf853b77f.JPG

I have applied weathering powder to all the barrels and then sprayed them with dull coat to seal the powder and give them a more metal look. I will fit them one at a time to a carriage.

DSC00487.thumb.JPG.416d4da05bab3fa8a7d383820ae852fd.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Those look terrific, Rusty.  I bought the 6mm belaying pins to use as quoin handles, too.  I thought they looked too small.  But seeing yours, I think I'll try them.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I bought the 6mm belaying pins to use as quoin handles, too.  I thought they looked too small. 

I thought the same thing when I saw them in the package but one on the carriage, to me, they looked much closer to scale.

Thanks for the likes too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)