HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

Great work Rusty!  Sorry about the Covid, hope you’re better soon. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks JJ,

Greg I was so bummed to miss the workshop. Oh well maybe next time,

Chuck, Slow is the only speed right now but I'll make sure not to speed up. I keep telling myself "slow and steady"!

Thanks Mike, I constantly refer to your build log!

Thanks Glenn and Don!

Thank you all for the kind words and I'm doing really well today. The meds are really helping knock it out of me.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I've moved on to the cap rail and margin planks for the fcastle. 

As it has been mentioned Chucks suggests we print out the bow cap rail templates from Chapter ten and match your bow. This definitely will be a benefit when you get to this part of the build. I know now from my experiences. Nothing bad I just had to do a little "adjusting".

At the bow the laser cut cap rail on the port side fit well. On the starboard side my curve was a little sharper that the plans called for. With the precut spots for the timber head's, I couldn't just heat and bend it. So, I cut a new section with the curve to match my bulkhead. I was careful to use the precut upper portion of the cap rail to ensure the cutouts for the timberheads were in the correct spots. You can see from the below picture the slight difference. Not much but sometimes a little if just too much. 

IMG_1592.thumb.JPG.f4bc222e9bc7866ce5846677d0f82245.JPG

Then I completed the rest of the cap rail and started on the margin planks.

IMG_1594.thumb.JPG.8309e2c8fb809a30054e4444c757c5fb.JPG

This led to minor issue #2. The forward most margin plank template did not fit as it should. Again, my curvature was slightly off. So instead of bending the plank to fit I adjusted my planks to my curvature. I wanted to keep the inner curve the same because if I didn't it would have thrown of the rest of the planks. Below you can see the template and the extra wood on the outside of the curve.

IMG_1593.thumb.JPG.3bc3c3b1ed182c7f12d8ec5e38bd3e4a.JPG

Now that I had a plank that fit to the bulkheads, I could finish sanding the inside curve and plank the rest of the deck without issue.

IMG_1595.thumb.JPG.979b85783829d0db1383f43b56d35ed8.JPG

IMG_1596.thumb.JPG.a4e1e1f366701806903c13e6dc4d17a7.JPGIMG_1597.thumb.JPG.99667eee214e9757905701d0d67556c2.JPG

I could have done these "adjustments" and not fessed up but I wanted to show how such little differences can cause issues later on. The more attention paid early on pays off tremendously later on.

Now you sharp eyed people surely noticed in the first few pictures the chimney was attached to the ships stove. Then heavy hands popped it off while planking. So, the chimney is now safely stowed until more planking is finished and it needs to be reattached. Otherwise, I see it going for a ride several more times!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thats perfect.  Thats also the way everyone should approach building.  These arent plastic models and you will always need to adjust and tweak.  You did that perfectly.  Good practice for when you tackle the headrails.

Really appreciate the commentary on this post. Especially how you adapted to allow the least amount of future impacts. It was relatively small, but quite eye-opening for me - thank you! 

PS - Beautiful work by the way

I agree it’s important we share what didn’t go well and how we adapt to make it work That most benefits those that follow. Just as your post will help me when I arrive at this point. 

Well accomplished Rusty!

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

17 hours ago, Chuck said:

Good practice for when you tackle the headrails.

Thanks Chuck, I'm sure there will be a good bit of "adjusting" when I finally get there. FYI still having a ball building her!

16 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

how you adapted to allow the least amount of future impacts.

Thanks Tim, I was trying to help out by letting everyone know it's ok when you have to make adjustments.  Just look forward to how the adjustments can have a positive or negative effect on other aspects. 

12 hours ago, rafine said:

Your attention to detail is lesson to all of us.

Thanks Bob, I learned from you and others!

12 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I agree it’s important we share what didn’t go well and how we adapt to make it work That most benefits those that follow. Just as your post will help me when I arrive at this point

Thanks Glenn but I'm sure with your preparation you won't even need to "adjust" this planking. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Dusan and Frank. Also thanks for all the likes!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Jeff!

The fcastle work continues. The coamings were added along with the planking and the bitts that

were made quite some time ago. Also the mast coat was made from the Syren laser cut parts.  

Next I'm on to the belfry.

IMG_1598.thumb.JPG.af6a7177c78896cb95052306299fcb6b.JPG

IMG_1602.thumb.JPG.a9781b66dd9ef413f1795c11e29d7420.JPG

IMG_1600.thumb.JPG.3fa99a2c76982d6fa086fba86b215530.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Great the chimney is safe now Rusty and great tip keeping the inner curvature of that deck planking the same and symmetrical while adjusting the outer curvature to the inner bow.

I spent most of my time measuring to keep as symmetrical possible portside and starboard...but in fact when getting the micrometer at it, our wooden models

are asymmetrical wonders (they're not plastic kits as Chuck said)...and yet they're beautiful, specially yours with these warm pear tones and teints of red...

I love your build!

Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Thank you, Vlad and Frank. Also, thanks for all the likes. 

I've spent a couple of days building the belfry and the belfry rail. Next, I'll fit the breasthook at the bow.

IMG_1604.thumb.JPG.a30571f114a5bcc86220c307f14d2736.JPGIMG_1606.thumb.JPG.fb34f2aec48b79ec1df8a724effed466.JPGIMG_1610.thumb.JPG.f50c25530f9b1cdd6a320a0beded004c.JPGIMG_1608.thumb.JPG.997110d49ee9dbd87577e5155832bc50.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thats a challenging little fitting to make.   But really rewarding.   You did an excellent job.   

That looks really nice Rusty. It brings the ship to life. Perfectly built, looks it is a single sculpted piece. The Cherry has such a nice look. 

Regards,

Glenn

23 hours ago, Chuck said:

Thats a challenging little fitting to make.   But really rewarding.

Thanks Chuck, Your design and patience made it really fun!

23 hours ago, glbarlow said:

It brings the ship to life.

Thanks Glenn, Yes adding deck pieces really start making her look good.

22 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Every time I see you Winnie, I wish I did mine in cherry as well.

Thanks JJ, After doing the Confederacy in box I wanted a different look and I'm glad it came out nice.

After you finish the Winnie you can do your next one in cherry! :)

Thank you, Mike and Ben. Your kind words are always appreciated. Thanks for all the likes too!

Oh by the way while working on the breasthook I noticed I completely forgot to put on the

waterways so I'll be doing that next too! 🤪

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Well, I went back and rounded off the 1/32' X 1/32" strip to make the waterways. They were added

as well as the breasthook. Next I assembled the catheads. Like the belfry take your time and they

come out looking nice. I then cut out the notches for the catheads. They are placed but not glued.

I'm trying to determine if the angle they are at is correct. The cathead sits flush on the margin plank

but they look a little high to me. Hmmmmm. 

IMG_1612.thumb.JPG.7a34aeb96b875ec776fc218295d5b02c.JPGIMG_1613.thumb.JPG.4b7b3386bfc0a6fdc1f23f42ac8cb7d3.JPGIMG_1614.thumb.JPG.1d82405c65b9bb7d4e5cc6b536b1e7d9.JPGIMG_1615.thumb.JPG.16639835f2cdb22865ac03d84a016918.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Just a wee bit high on the angle.  Make the bottom of the cathead flush with the bottom edge of the molding.  That should adjust the angle a bit.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Just a wee bit high on the angle.  Make the bottom of the cathead flush with the bottom edge of the molding.

That was my though too. Just wanted the group opinion before I adjust them. Thanks!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I moved on to the fcastle rail and knightheads. The knight heads are laser cut but the tops needed to be shaped on all four sides. The laser cut rail needed to be sanded smooth and the edges softened. This is where I ran into another oops moment. I hooked the end of the rail snapping off the end two slots. I broke out some sheet stock and remade the first three slots.

IMG_1617.thumb.JPG.232810893856f7dce7635ed90e89153b.JPG

Why three you ask? This way the joint would be over the cathead and covered by the cat block. Just in case the seam was visible plus added strength when glued in place. The fun part of the cat block was it needed to be sanded to the curvature of the rail. Not difficult but I needed to go slow to make sure I didn't over sand! 

IMG_1618.thumb.JPG.bc65f7be57ce45d988de1628c17e9c55.JPG

Once everything was test fitted it was painted and glued in place.

IMG_1629.thumb.JPG.e66e1730ccbc44646653a3fb2db02018.JPGIMG_1630.thumb.JPG.372e27e5e7789777af6d5d42656f47dd.JPGIMG_1631.thumb.JPG.0e5b678ed9c06ca081ed4980cbccbb0f.JPGIMG_1628.thumb.JPG.1ef58cd7bd568ada503c91f2a986d4be.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)