1/35 UH-1H Huey By lmagna

lmagna

You're doing a really nice job on it.  Great work!  

I'm with you on the PE.  My introduction has been working on a 1/700 destroyer with a full PE detail set.  Stupid me, but for some reason I thought that 1/700 would be better introduction since the kit and PE set were cheaper than a a similar 1/350 kit, but I didn't realize the pieces would be that small.  Optivisor is a must as the parts are practically microscopic, and you better not sneeze!  I think I'm getting the hang of it though.  When I start with 1/350, the PE might look much bigger (though they probably have similarly sized extreme detail pieces).

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

My heart goes out to you Mike.

I doubt I would even attempt working in 1/700 anymore, let alone with PE! I think the developers of PE do not care about the practicality of applying their product. At least with the Eduard stuff I am currently using. As an example they make the seat belts into a dozen parts for each belt! even the buckles have four or five parts to make up the complete buckle! And that is just one side! With a microscope and a pair of micro manipulators I could probably make working buckles from the parts supplied. In fact I know I could.

I have 1/350 PE for my USS Houston and was shocked when I saw the size of the barrels for the 1.1" AA guns! Ants have bigger legs than these barrels! The same holds for the PE for my Titanic build for my wife!

I found a pair of +4 reading glasses and bought them. They came yesterday so now I will possibly be able to see if I can do better when I can actually see what the stuff looks like. :stunned:

Thanks for the support. My personal thought is that compared to several others here on this forum My build is average at best. but it still sounds nice to hear.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Best let the dolls stay where they are, Lou.  Don't get them riled up.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Don't get them riled up.

True:unsure:

In all truth, the dolls have been part of our house from the beginning of time and both our kids and the grand kids that we are raising presently think a couple of them are haunted.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 minutes ago, lmagna said:

True:unsure:

In all truth, the dolls have been part of our house from the beginning of time and both our kids and the grand kids that we are raising presently think a couple of them are haunted.

That works.  They'll leave them alone.   :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

remember Annabelle?  you wouldn't want an ugly faced doll chasing you .........huh?!?!?!  didn't I send you a couple of 'pick n place' tools?  I thought I did  they have an adhesive tip on them that allows you to hold small parts.........I never used them on wood for obvious reasons.  to clean them simply roll them over the sticky side of tape.

https://www.billingboatsusa.com/tweezers-pick-up-tools/447-ptw1131-pick-place-tool-small.html

there are three sizes

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

15 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

remember Annabelle?  you wouldn't want an ugly faced doll chasing you .........huh?!?!?!  didn't I send you a couple of 'pick n place' tools?  I thought I did  they have an adhesive tip on them that allows you to hold small parts.........I never used them on wood for obvious reasons.  to clean them simply roll them over the sticky side of tape.

https://www.billingboatsusa.com/tweezers-pick-up-tools/447-ptw1131-pick-place-tool-small.html

there are three sizes

Just checked  - Ebay are doing them  - what an excellent tool.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

21 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

you wouldn't want an ugly faced doll chasing you

We actually had one upstairs for years. It was some kind of display doll that had fallen on hard times and had a cracked face. If you plugged it in the head would move back and forth and the arm in some direction. My wife was going to repair the face and sew cloths for it but of course never did. At some point my middle son put an old child's hoody on it and a plastic Halloween knife knife in the hand of the moving arm. With the wig that was all askew already and the cracked face, she looked pretty fearsome even to me. 

29 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

didn't I send you a couple of 'pick n place' tools?

I don't think so. If you did I put them in a place where they could be found when needed. Meaning I don't know where! I wish I did. They look like they would have a smaller tip than the pencil types I stole from Laurie. The one I stole has been working pretty well except it also seems to be missing on the table every time I need it. Luckily I am done with PE for a little while At least as far as I'm concerned. I should get a few progress pictures tonight after diner and post them. There has actually been a few things done believe it or not. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Are you spraying the fuselage  or hand painting Lou?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

32 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Are you spraying the fuselage  or hand painting

It is my hope to airbrush it. My time spent in the cockpit has been extensive and I have not even started painting the fuselage yet. I was LOOKING at it today though, and I think I have come upon a method of spraying that will be unique to the Huey. I do want to get in a little more practice on the small interior stuff and see if I can whip my tip clogging issues with paint drying in the tip of the airbrush. I have discovered one thing about airbrushing Acrylics though. If you mess it up, (As I almost always do so far) just spray it down with Windex and wash it off with water and start all over again! Great feature for a bum dumble like me.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 minutes ago, lmagna said:

It is my hope to airbrush it. My time spent in the cockpit has been extensive and I have not even started painting the fuselage yet. I was LOOKING at it today though, and I think I have come upon a method of spraying that will be unique to the Huey. I do want to get in a little more practice on the small interior stuff and see if I can whip my tip clogging issues with paint drying in the tip of the airbrush. I have discovered one thing about airbrushing Acrylics though. If you mess it up, (As I almost always do so far) just spray it down with Windex and wash it off with water and start all over again! Great feature for a bum dumble like me.

Like me Lou  we learn more about the art in making a kit look half decent  as we go along,   when I was masking and spraying yesterday  it  struck me that it was the first time I have ever done anything like this  - all my painting of models  has always been with hairy sticks.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just now, Old Collingwood said:

all my painting of models  has always been with hairy sticks.

Same here, along with some rattle can stuff. In addition it has been something like twenty or thirty + years since my last model outside of a very few 1/24th Sports Prototype racing cars and a 1/24th copy of my real R-50 Mini Cooper.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well, as i said earlier, I think I have made a little progress since I last posted an update. Not finished like Mark but certainly further along than I was. 

In my last update I was still having formal combat with the pilot seats and assorted small and ill fitting/designed photo etch parts. I finally pretty much got all that worked out and ended up with seats that seem to cover the look properly. At least for how I will display this model. I then had to build and install the center jump seat that had to be set up to allow proper seating of the pilots. So I had to make a side trip and set up the pilots in their seats. This of course made me have to cut and file pilot butts to fit in said seats. They probably would have fit in the stock kit seats but of course I had to use the after market seats with the kit floor in my build. So far the pilot has gone through a buttectomy and is sitting pretty much where he should. I may have to so some more for a more custom fit. At some point I was careless and broke off his helmet mike:angry::( and will have to replace it at some point. Hopefully I don't do the same with the co-pilot when he gets his buttectomy. At any rate it was becoming clear that possibly I have been wasting my time these last couple of weeks making the seats from all those tiny PE parts and re-learning all those cuss words from my shaded past. Everything is becoming so crowded that you can't see much of it at all!  By the time I add the cabin overhead and roof none of it will be visible at all!

Everything you see in the pictures is just sitting there, not glued into the cockpit. The only thing actually "In place" is the middle jump seat. I had to drill new locating holes in the deck to obtain the proper location. Then I got it wrong as there was not enough room for the pilots and seats forward and I had to re-drill holes about one and a half mm further aft. I rechecked the fit and clearances and took the following pictures:

This was the first location. It cramped the cockpit too much so I knew I would have to move it. The holes in the deck are the kit holes that would have been used if I had used the kit seats, which by the way are total garbage in every way.

image.thumb.png.6440814ff5c7972f70a2bff469c158ea.png

The next view is from the front, showing how little can be seen even before the pilots are seated.

image.thumb.png.d0c74a1ebf678fe356b7fa28a978872b.png

After you seat the pilots virtually everything I have done over the last couple of weeks has disappeared! :blink: the co-pilot on the right still needs to be altered to get him to fit the seat properly.

image.thumb.png.56bd1a36528cee2c94807c4782331767.png

So all in all I am happy to have made some progress at last and that even though the deck is beginning to look a little like Swiss Cheese from all the unused kit holes, and mis-drilled location holes I am also happy with the results. The holes can and will be filled in and the "Look" looks like I remember it. There are of course a few exceptions but they are small and I can live with them I think. I am also getting a bettter idea of what will be possible to see and what won't and will probably stress out a little less about those kinds of things in the future. At least I will try.

Next is the altering, locating, and assembly of the remaining jump seats and their painting, along with filling and repainting the poor abused deck.

Thanks everyone for looking in and helping.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Your build is coming along nicely, Lou.

Evergreen Scale Models styrene rod into those pesky holes, Lou. Let the glue dry (overnight for plastic to plastic if you can. Less time if superglued). Shave the excess off, sand if necessary and paint to match.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, CDW said:

The pilot figures look awesome, very detailed.

Thanks Craig, they were quite the find. I almost didn't buy them as they came from somewhere in the back side of France from a company I had never bought from before. I also bought some after market gunners that look promising from another company but have been afraid to look at them closely. One struggle at a time.  I am glad I went the extra effort as to me this trip back is the people. The Huey, while important is after all just the vehicle that gave us the ability to do the job, and more importantly got us back.

They are 3D printed and like you say are SUPER detailed. I like them because their visors are down so I am hoping that it will make their faces easier to paint in a realistic manner. (Another thing I have never done before that this build is full of, people) Their short coming, at lest for the pilot is that his hands are formed in a closed position and it may make it hard to place the collective in his left hand. The cyclic handle is already in his right hand and will need to alter the cyclic column to fit. Just more tiny nit fiddle stuff that is getting to be common on this build. Nothing has been a install and move on to the next part. EVERYTHING has been a custom alteration/fit.

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Evergreen Scale Models styrene rod into those pesky holes

DOH! What a duffus! I have a ton of gray sprue. For that matter I have the legs of the original jump seats that I can use to fill the holes! I have of course read about doing it that way for years but I have never had to deal with this much modification before and therefore the idea has never been used by me personally! Thanks for kicking my soft skull and jolting my even softer brain, or whatever is in there! Whatever is visibly left will just look like the cargo tie down rings that were there anyway!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

looking good

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

cockpit is shaping up nicely

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Coming on  nicely Lou,  I agree  with all  - those figures do look good.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I agree  with all  - those figures do look good.

Now we just need to see if they survive my efforts at adding color to them!:unsure:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Helmet visors were dark green Lexan (pretty glossy and dark), so a very dark green like Brunswick green as a base with a Tamiya clear green over it. I seem to remember it dried with a gloss to it, but I could be out to lunch on that.  The visors should be glossy either way. ( I just checked my old helmet, guys)

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

I believe there were at least a couple of models. The Cobra pilots wore a helmet that had two pull down visors. One smoked like ours and the other clear for nighttime use. I liked theirs better but never found a way to get my hands on one. I was not authorized.:( There were at least two model shapes one with the lumpy ear pieces and the other with a more smooth rounded shape. Mine was a Gentex SPH-4, (I remember because my rank was SP-4. So what else would a SP-4 wear but a SPH-4, H for Helmet?):D At any rate looking out from the inside was like looking out from a very dark set of sunglasses, kind of a smokey green. But looking at another person wearing a helmet with the visor down they looked black. You could not see through to their face even at close quarters. The gloss was because they were highly polished. In some circumstances like lower light, cloudy or overcast days we would leave the visor up and just wear our issue sunglasses.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Keep doing what you're doing,  Lou.   Looking great and if details get lost, you (and us) will still know they are there.  I can't see squat in my -53 cockpit or in the cargo area but I did the best I could.

Oy.... the helmets.  I always hoped for a bit "color" but they wouldn't let us paint anything on them.  And the sunglass part was dark.  I usually just had the clear as I was watching the ground.  With the sunscreen part down, if took a step back from the gun and turned, I'd trip over something as it was too dark to see.  We gunners also (for awhile) had "bullet bouncers"  which was a hard steel/fiberglass" laminate breast plate and back plate.  At some point, they told us gunners to feel free to wear our flak vests (like the infantry had).   A lot lighter and you could actually bend over easier and a lot cooler temp wise than the bouncers.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

54 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

"bullet bouncers"  which was a hard steel/fiberglass" laminate breast plate and back plate.

That was what we called "Chicken Plates". Like you said, it was heavy, Hot, and awkward. We too switched over to the lighter armor. The only problem with all of the figures I have for this build is that they are all wearing Chicken Plate armor. There is no way I consider myself skilled enough to change that to a flack vest, so Chicken Plates it will be. I suppose that with the helmets it does serve to distinguish the crew from the troops a little.

Some of the guys had some pretty creative helmet work. It was a pretty much do-it-yourself thing. The only regs we had was that it could not be offensive to the military. When our crew chief, (The left gunner) was getting short he painted a relatively small blue and red chevron on the back of his helmet and instead of white letters saying "RE-UP", he wrote "FED-UP." It lasted a few weeks and then it was seen by the wrong person and he was told he had to take it off.

My helmet was kind of simple. When I first reported for door gun duty I told the AC my name and kind of where I was from. He said that there was no way he was going to try and pronounce "Magnabosco," especially over the radio. I thought that like many other times I was going to become Magna or Bosco again whether I liked it or not. As the town in California, Capitola, was almost unknown further than five miles away I had gotten in the habit of saying I was from "a town close to San Francisco." So the AC took the fact that I was "a traveling gun for hire" and from San Francisco and I became "Paladin." As "Have Gun, Will Travel" was one of my childhood favorites I was glad for the name and ended up painting my visor cover black and had a small white chess knight on the right side. I kept the rest of the helmet OD but I did get some gloss OD that was also a little darker and painted that too. I plan to try and duplicate the helmet on the right gunner. Later I also painted a little flight helmet with combat boots under the bottom and "SHORT" under that on the back, but there is no way I could carry it off at this scale. 

At one point someone suggested it would be cool to put a white chess knight on my black 45 auto holster that I wore almost daily. But I couldn't figure out a way to do it and not have it fall off, and thought it was possibly over the top anyway.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

We had some "custom" work done on a few things.   One CC had a "target" painted on his bullet bouncer because he figured the VC would aim for it and miss the target.   Some painted names and art on their helmets, some didn't.    The crews were basically all on a first name basis until you stepped off the bird, then it was military decorum.   I saw the helmet/boots and "short" back then.  One could even buy t-shirts with it on them.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I had a small patch with the normal helmet/boots that I had sewn onto a rain coat that a Papa-San on base made for us using an issue waterproof laundry bag. Almost everyone had them, He was doing a booming business.  We had rank, shoulder patches and stuff sewn on them just like our uniforms but it was not an official uniform item. I still had it a few years ago but somehow it has disappeared along with so much other stuff.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

We had those helmet/boots patches, too. Some guys had countdown calendars for their return to the States date. I felt you were tempting fate, as an aviator, to post a real date. Too many variables on every flight. A REMF might be able to hold to a date, not grunts or aviators.

And you might remember the expression FIGMO. Since this is a family friendly site, I won't spell it out.

Ken

10 minutes ago, Canute said:

And you might remember the expression FIGMO. Since this is a family friendly site, I won't spell it out.

And the expression OMGIF when you got to your next station.  Ditto not spelling it out.

Never heard of OMGIF. Had to look it up. But a few guys got a FIGMO attitude, not very many. The last thing you wanted was getting your tour extended for some unknown reason.  We did have an expression even when we first cam in country. "What are they going to do? Send me to Vietnam?" it was only half a joke.

I never made a countdown calendar, but the last week or so it was not easy not to brag that you were single digit, (Number of days) and a wakeup. By that time you were normally taken off of known combat flight status anyway and assigned to milk runs. Too many things happened to people when they got real short and it was considered bad luck to push it if you didn't have to. If nothing else, the people on the flight line were pretty superstitious.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I'm with you, Lou. Except I flew my last mission with another short timer about 3 days before we went home. Big to do for us, much imbibing of adult beverages and munching Thai "spring rolls". Got a Thai version of a lei, too (I think. It got pretty blurry there at the end).

Ken