Secret Vessel "Morel" by Justin P. - FINISHED - Master Korabel - Scale 1:36

Thanks all for the kind words...   I've been pleased with how its turning out thus far too. 

Today I was able to get the top hatch framed in and more or less finished.  All the while participating in quarantine conference calls at the dinner table with my audio mostly on mute :).    This section was much more finicky than the rest of the steps combined and at first I wasn't sure it was going to work out.   It requires many bevels, with compound curves all needing to come together with nice seems around an unusual hexagonal shape.  I basically mucked this up pretty good by over sanding.   But after just sitting with it awhile, I decided to commit and deal with the gaps the usual way - filler.   Overall it turned out much better than I was expecting.  

IMG_0896.thumb.JPG.d644559e021844f0b80eb9eab61c6d7c.JPGIMG_0895.thumb.JPG.f1e02b61bf63e4efb998c8985aade2fb.JPG

In the above photos the unfinished top hatch sits waiting for recovery inspiration to strike, as well as the little window assemblies that we equally finicky.  Made up of 7 pieces of veneer thin material and acrylic glazing they were a challenge to work out.   Once the glue dried however, they sanded up nicely and fit perfectly.  The frames are finished with an exterior layer of the same material.   I then finished up the top hatch assembly with some sanding and a coat of wipe-on poly.   It actually looks far better than I had anticipated so Im glad to see how the filler really can help recover some otherwise tragic situations.   Sawdust and Elmers is the best recipe.  

IMG_0904.thumb.JPG.eabaf3a19c3ff1a2a3b0eef31a1ea5b4.JPG

I completed all this over the course of a day, with probably a good 4 hours of work.   This evening I began blackening the brass components which Ill be working with tomorrow.

IMG_0906.thumb.JPG.a225dd7a09137329ffb6d9dd0696d218.JPGIMG_0903.thumb.JPG.bf6600c5c6472b6b7baa35ed28375fb6.JPG

Edited by Justin P.

Im a bit curious about this other kit I recently found out of China/Hong Kong/Taiwan on Ebay and wonder if it is a pirated version.  I only found this today and as I had been pretty aggressively trying to get my hands on the Master Korabel kit in the last few months am surprised I haven't come across it yet.  Its design has many additional details, but as this vessel is relatively light on primary sources I wonder where they came up with their vision for it.   

**Link removed by moderator**

43 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

I wish I knew.   Im not good with my wood identification beyond the obvious species and Ive not been able to find the info in my kit.

Whatever it is, it sure is beautiful with the poly on it.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

23 minutes ago, BobG said:

Whatever it is, it sure is beautiful with the poly on it.

I'm almost sure it is pear. MK is using pear for their finish of "High-end" kits. 

I'm thinking it's pear also from the color, lack of grain, etc.   You might go to this topic and PM Greenstone... 

As for that Ebay kit... I would say it's pirated as Crown is on our 'no-no-don't even think about it" list.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 3/20/2020 at 4:16 PM, Justin P. said:

The soundtrack of this video makes me smile.   I don't know why, but it just makes me think of a Bond film. 

Hello Justin ;) 

When creating this video for YouTube, I used the soundtrack "Depths" by composer Alexander

Zatsepin for the Soviet film "Captain Nemo" in 1975 (based on the novel by Jules Verne).

If interested here is a link to the movie. 

Edited by greenstone

4 hours ago, Justin P. said:

I only found this today and as I had been pretty aggressively trying to get my hands on the Master Korabel kit in the last few months am surprised I haven't come across it yet.

Crafty Sailor ( https://craftysailor.com/ ) should have them in stock. They are also a sponsor here.

4 hours ago, DPK said:

Crafty Sailor ( https://craftysailor.com/ ) should have them in stock. They are also a sponsor here.

Right.   Thats where the kit I have is from.   I mention that in Post #1.   

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I'm thinking it's pear also from the color, lack of grain, etc.   You might go to this topic and PM Greenstone... 

As for that Ebay kit... I would say it's pirated as Crown is on our 'no-no-don't even think about it" list.

Indeed he does say its Pear or Alder.  So there you have it.  

As for the Chinese kit, I mean "curious" as in its interesting to see, not interesting to buy ;).    Even if I hadn't already gotten the MK kit, I HATE buying things from overseas on Ebay.   In fact, Ebay is one of the lat places on the internet that Ill buy something.   It used to be a wonderland, but Ive lost my taste for it ever since it became a low-grade amazon. 

Edited by Justin P.

Hi, Justin.

Yes, Crown Model and Woodenkit are both on the naughty list, as described in the topic linked to previously, so I had to remove the link in your post (no worries). You are doing a fantastic job on the MK version -- the finish looks particularly nice.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

5 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

It used to be a wonderland

Indeed! Once upon a time it was a place to find real deals. Now it is a wasteland of people who think that they should sell second-hand merchandise for the same price (or more) as a new item. People -- get a clue!! 😑

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

50 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Hi, Justin.

Yes, Crown Model and Woodenkit are both on the naughty list, as described in the topic linked to previously, so I had to remove the link in your post (no worries). You are doing a fantastic job on the MK version -- the finish looks particularly nice.

Cheers!

Oops.   Thanks.   Wasn't trying to promote it, just direct some eyes at yet another bizarre depiction of this mystery vessel.   

the model is coming along splendidly........looks very nice.   love the hue of an old cask ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Today I started the detail work.   After clipping out the brass bits, filling them down a touch and blackening I started the "riveting" work.  I also assembled the hatch door and rudder.  Ive skipped a few steps in the instructions as it seemed like it would be a hugely problematic to try and finish this thing with those delicate oars sticking out the sides.  I feel similar about the rudder, so Ill likely leave it until the end to attach.

IMG_0907.thumb.JPG.ef1f861ba349fc7949f6e7b4122b37cc.JPG

I chose to leave the brass nail heads unblackened for no real reason other than that I just liked it better.  The contrast is pleasing to me.   Similarly, I also chose not to paint the window work black as is shown in the photos.  

IMG_0909.thumb.JPG.8516cc227b57c93c54e04a36e9d275c8.JPGIMG_0917.thumb.JPG.3ef5ae03c5ea76637837d8a2db48d62b.JPG

IMG_0918.thumb.JPG.fc5244cd8949e44027351a04218c0556.JPG

One supremely annoying problem I have though is the fine sawdust accumulation on the glazing of the windows.   If I had taken a bit more care I probably could have avoided this problem, of course now its looking pretty impossible to get it totally off the interior of the glazing.   I will be creating some kind of armature window wiping thing...   ugh.   Its fear this is one mishap that will drive me nuts.  Its already making me crazy...  I find Im incessantly blowing on it, knowing full well the dust is on the inside.   

IMG_0919.thumb.JPG.2e7fe67ccdb0bb121b05f281667e1c0b.JPG

Edited by Justin P.

You do remarkable work on this model, so clean and precise. I really like the finish applied to the wood.

Can't wait to find out more.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Really nice work Justin. I like the contrast also it adds some depth to the overall picture. I feel your pain about the sawdust I would have lost my mind by now trying to get rid of it.

3 hours ago, Osmosis said:

Really nice work Justin. I like the contrast also it adds some depth to the overall picture. I feel your pain about the sawdust I would have lost my mind by now trying to get rid of it.

Oh man...   I haven't even tried yet, waiting until ALL the sanding I could possibly have to do is done.   Just knowing it is there is making me feel nuts enough!   I can't imagine how Ill actually get it out.   Im thinking Ill start with a blast of compressed air, but worried that might make it worse!  Was also up in the middle of the night going back through the process wondering what I could do (next time) to prevent it.    Such is life in quarantine.  

it's almost impossible to do once the model shell is closed up.   I'm sure someone has been able to overcome this,  but I've not read anything to confirm this.   the only thing to do is make sure they are clean when the hull is closed........my big peeve too ;)   you did well in not doing the windows.......the contrast is detail.  the one thing I love about this medium,  is that wood is a bare canvas.  it is up to you to add in the little bits that add to the looks of your model........love the black strapping and the nail rivets....and the even spacing :)   looks superb!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

3 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

it's almost impossible to do once the model shell is closed up.   I'm sure someone has been able to overcome this,  but I've not read anything to confirm this.   the only thing to do is make sure they are clean when the hull is closed........my big peeve too ;)   you did well in not doing the windows.......the contrast is detail.  the one thing I love about this medium,  is that wood is a bare canvas.  it is up to you to add in the little bits that add to the looks of your model........love the black strapping and the nail rivets....and the even spacing :)   looks superb!

Key word here is "almost,"   I may have a trick or two up my sleeve ;).   I may also be delusional...

Not much today as I spent most of the day tending to kids and trying to put together a form of homeschooling that isn't concerned with ships and small bits of wood.   Apparently reading and math are important pre-requisites.  

I did manage to tackle my annoying dust problem.   After poking around in my assorted bits-and-bobs container, and after trying a few prototypes that were WAY over designed I ended up just bending a micro-brush into a 45° and found that to be a perfect solution.  Luckily this model is designed to be able to lift the hatch off to see the interior details, so...

IMG_0920.thumb.JPG.b6701cac4366999aa550d8da3422a95b.JPGBefore

IMG_0929.thumb.JPG.dbf5f1d909f251ad78ae8e2141fb4aab.JPGAfter

It took four in total...   of course the little brush tips won't load up on very much sawdust, so two a piece per window isn't bad.  Especially when 400 brushes cost something like $10.  Glad to have finally found a use for them ;)

IMG_0930.JPG

Looking great.   If you decide the dust has to really go...  do you have a small tube you could attach to a small vacuum like small computer vac or car vac?  I wouldn't use a full size vacuum as the suction would probably pull the model apart.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looking great.   If you decide the dust has to really go...  do you have a small tube you could attach to a small vacuum like small computer vac or car vac?  I wouldn't use a full size vacuum as the suction would probably pull the model apart.

I think I got enough off the windows to be satisfied.   I thought about the vacuum too,  I have a micro-vacuum at work with variable speed.  Or maybe a can compressed air with a tube.   In the end, what was laying around proved just as useful.  

Beautifully crafted model, Justin!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

It was another productive weekend, although with the shelter-in-place order in effect, there really isn't a whole lot more I could really do anyway!   Or so I told myself ;)  

It was time to start in on the "iron" banding, which is made from a black 10 pt card.   As someone whose professional life revolves around the intricacies of paper, I appreciate that Master Korabel got this bit right.   I was at first resistant to using paper, and I may yet regret going with it.  In new condition however, the look and workability of the chosen material was spot on.   I especially appreciate that they got the grain direction of the chosen paper sheet correct for wrapping around the hull.  

IMG_0931.thumb.JPG.56e78770f39229f42a685e5b3e9e690b.JPG

I also started in on more of the metal work.  I have to say this was not my favorite part of the project.   I know next to nothing about making hinges, which becomes exponentially more problematic when making them at a minuscule size.  

IMG_0932.thumb.JPG.d2dc69ec6ca0a765e9cf6f68330e4a37.JPGIMG_0938.thumb.JPG.7f1180609b167fe01654e5fb83c916f3.JPG

Fitting them to the fire-pipes, getting them blackened and having to make probably 4x the needed parts took about the whole day.   For whatever reason, if I dropped one piece it completely and utterly disappeared.   I mean gone.  No matter how neat and tidy I kept my bench, if it slipped from my tweezers/hands/pliers it was gone.   Hence, making each piece so many times...   

IMG_0936.thumb.JPG.c256d36fff0978c44c83f71769f15a47.JPGIMG_0940.thumb.JPG.a64a4637384e0f1b5a0f82f8faea2442.JPG

The above shots show the installed hinges with the pin left long as I fitted and adjusted the piece.  Ive also had to brush on a bit of blackener to occasionally refinish the brass as my fumbling scratched it.   You can see the glean of the liquid blackener on the surface of the hinge here. 

I also had to add a few brass loops and eyes here and there which Ive left unblackened for the same reasons as previously stated, I just like the contrast.  You can see the post and eyes in the below photo unblackened, and also left long until completely finished.  

IMG_0939.thumb.JPG.fa8dbc878abdf88d046aa03e3e418df2.JPG

Finally, here she is as she currently sits.   Still a few details away from finished, but getting there.   

IMG_0945.thumb.JPG.21b386613934dffd4e0886c581e772b2.JPGIMG_0953.thumb.JPG.85f8fc40382f238184942aa52bb2983b.JPG

Edited by Justin P.

8 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

For whatever reason, if I dropped one piece it completely and utterly disappeared.   I mean gone.  No matter how neat and tidy I kept my bench, it slipped from my tweezers/hands/pliers it was gone.   Hence, making each piece so many times...  

Truer words have never been spoken...

Fantastic work on a real interesting vessel. Beautiful fit and finish.

What's your plan for a stand or display?

Bob Cardone

On the bench:

Gunboat Philadelphia Model Shipways 1:24

CSS Palmetto State Verlinden 1:200 

Next up:

USN Picket Boat #1 Model Shipways 1:24

Completed:

F-4 Phantom Hasegawa 1:48

Smilodon Fatalis Unknown manufacturer and scale

Panzer IV 1:32 Unimax/ Forces of Valor prebuilt with mods, diorama

It just keeps getting better and better, Justin. Did you make those hinges from scratch?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

7 hours ago, BobG said:

It just keeps getting better and better, Justin. Did you make those hinges from scratch?

Not entirely.   They are provided as laser cut pieces which one must bend and shape into hinges.   They certainly werent my best work, but they'll do.

4 hours ago, Justin P. said:

Not entirely.   They are provided as laser cut pieces which one must bend and shape into hinges.   They certainly werent my best work, but they'll do.

You set the bar really high for yourself...they looked incredibly good to me!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

23 hours ago, BobCardone said:

What's your plan for a stand or display?

I have none really.    My plan was just to finish, and as always, that can be ambitious enough ;)

Edited by Justin P.