North American P-51D Mustang by Asat - Airfix - 1/48

So this is my second foray into plastic aircraft, I am trying to get some skills with plastic and paint so I can build the 1/24 Airfix Typhoon. This is in conjunction with my P-40 build on here as well... Started with the cockpit, this one has the belts molded into the seat, came out OK. Man! I don’t know how anyone could fold and make PE belts look that good! Know I know the P40 belts are way too big these things are tiny! Probably 1mm or even less!! Instrument panel and try some wiring on the radio stack up next....

6A997A83-DB24-4E70-ADF0-C22EE6437877.jpeg

78EE0866-9B1D-47A7-A7AF-636C84EDFAE3.jpeg

C1ADDAED-3D35-4AC4-99B8-45749EED3E29.jpeg

Edited by ASAT
Compliance

Nice work Lou and quite a bit of progress for such a short time. How did you do the floor space in front of the pilot?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nice quick start..... Nice work as well...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks Lou, I started by painting the floorboards in front a medium brown and after it dried I painted 

the black over it, then I took some isopropyl on a brush and exposed the brown paint, mixed in some light tan and yellow highlights and used a dry brush technique to blend them till it looked like a worn down plywood floor... I didn’t know P-51’s had a wood floor till I started doing research for these builds, I read somewhere that they were painted with flat black paint mixed with sand for a non skid surface, so that’s what I envisioned.....

Nice start! 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looking good, Lou. Cockpit floors still use that, although they seem to use a tape nowadays.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ken, I’ve seen it used on wing walkways and such but not in a contemporary cockpit, at least not on the ones I worked on.... F4, A7, F16, etc... although there was a lot in a C-130....

We had it in the F-4s, but that was when they were close to new. The MAC guys used it a lot in their cargo compartments.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

So, there are a lot of assemblies that connect to the main cockpit frame, the cooling ductwork and exchangers, the tailwheel housing etc. Due to a big screw up on the instrument panel decal I am now at a work stoppage on this one too... I didn’t have any decal solvent or setting solution and this decal just would not conform to the instruments and was lifting... I read on the old internet that you can use acetone as a setting solvent...... NOT!! Man it dissolved it as soon as I touched it with the wet brush..... heart kind of sank but I found a Eduard cockpit detail set (FE 1074) for $13 but it’s gonna take a couple weeks to get here. I also did a preliminary painting of the cockpit sides but need to wait for the detail set to move on.... wellllll....... I am learning a lot and that was the intent of these builds so......

57A13ED6-84CF-4F53-A403-DD017BF9827E.jpeg

F98E00C7-93B2-4BA3-8F6F-4F034E8DA813.jpeg

E5ED7269-0EB3-4D36-B67E-94D832CCAB64.jpeg

185216E6-31EC-4D08-BF5D-396CD1585CB6.jpeg

Looking nice, bad luck with the cockpit decal, it's a bummer when you can't get on with things😕🤨

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Setbacks do seem to be part of the learning process, don't they?   I wish the virus would go away and we can get back to "normal"... whatever "normal" is.  If they're coming from overseas it can take some time even when things are normal.  There's a couple of places where if you order from them, they have to order from someone else which adds more time.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, I have been ordering from a pretty popular online vendor that is local for me but a drop shipper I think,  kitlinx.com  - some stuff says in stock but most of it says 2 weeks- is there a stateside ”go to” store that has great inventory and reasonable shipping?

5 hours ago, ASAT said:

Mark, I have been ordering from a pretty popular online vendor that is local for me but a drop shipper I think,  kitlinx.com  - some stuff says in stock but most of it says 2 weeks- is there a stateside ”go to” store that has great inventory and reasonable shipping?

I have no idea.  When I built my CH-53, I looked for after market parts.  I ended up overseas in eastern Europe.   There's  a caveat to this... the CH-53 is NOT a popular model so after market would be hard to find.

Edit: I see you started a separate topic for this question.  I was going to suggest it but you beat me to it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 4/5/2020 at 4:56 PM, ASAT said:

s there a stateside ”go to” store that has great inventory and reasonable shipping?

Lou I ordered last night expect mask by Friday/Sat  http://spruebrothers.com/?doing_wp_cron=1536358635.7091009616851806640625

Edited by Javlin

I see you caught a different type of bug Lou.......it's a good one ;)   great start.........I use Testor's decal set....works reasonably well.    yes.....Murphy love to bugger up plastic projects too...he doesn't discriminate :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 4/5/2020 at 2:56 PM, ASAT said:

is there a stateside ”go to” store that has great inventory and reasonable shipping?

Sprue Bros my friend, my last resort online store.... they don't have everything, but of the stuff I HAVE to have, usually they have it or something that will fill the bill. They are quick and although not the cheapest on shipping they are fair for most things...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

• 4 weeks later...

So I received my Eduard cockpit PE set from kitlinx.com and have the instrument panel and cockpit side panels sorted... adds a lot of detail but wow is it small and fiddly - I’d do it again though and probably will, might have to invest in some PE tools - any recommendations?

8D8A1222-AA86-4719-B3B7-49396392943A.jpeg

E07E6C77-30C0-4D2F-9537-58FDEFE00476.jpeg

DFADA23D-DD30-4678-B8E8-AADCF79EC249.jpeg

That's beautiful cockpit work, Lou. Love your attention to detail.

Earlier, you asked about online shops with reasonable shipping being a prerequisite. There are 2 shops that I find have the best inventory, shipping cost, and speedy service: these are Spruebrothers and Scalehobbyist. Just add the ".com" behind their names, and you'll find them. 

Thanks Jeff, I will look for some, Craig, I will check out those vendors, are the pliers more versatile than the vise type benders? Also wondering if you have any thoughts, experiences with the King Tigers from Takom, been looking at armor recently....

Lou

Of the three tools, the 2 sets of pliers are the most versatile in my opinion. However, there are certain bending jobs that are very hard to do without the "vise" type tool.

I have no personal experience with the Takom Tigers yet, but they look very nice. I have a couple other Takom armor kits and they are extremely well detailed. 

36 minutes ago, CDW said:

I have a couple other Takom armor kits and they are extremely well detailed.

Judging from the Takom kits I have, they are one of the top two or three in the model armor world....

Quote:

Can anyone tell me the difference between the kits (king tigers) that go for $55 vs the ones that sell for $20 more? ( prices approximate)

Edited by ASAT

Yeah, I’ve been looking into them, I have been comparing the king tigers with full interior, some with zimmeret, some without, Henschel and Porsche turrets, etc.  the only thing I can guess is that the kits that are $20 more seem to have individual track links - would that be it? I am really preferring the kits with the link and length jigs that seem to have a suffix letter S after the number - Tak 2045S for example.... hard to get definitive info though....

Edited by ASAT

10 hours ago, CDW said:

The 2 most handy PE tools I have are from Tamiya. They are PE bending pliers, large and a small set. 

Thats me also Craig I just use some pliers with flat face no serration they have a variety of narrow to 1/2" width.;) Kevin

The pit came out very Nice Lou. ;)