HMS EURYALUS by Matiz - FINISHED - scale 1:56

• 1 month later...

Matiz,

I am very  impressed with your start on Euryalus and will follow your build as she is so close to my heart.  For many years I have been lucky to be in Milano and Firenze for work several times each year, but of course now that is not possible.   If I  ever get back to Toscana, I would love to sip a grappa or two with you and discuss this great hobby of ours.   Ciao

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 7/24/2020 at 12:26 PM, allanyed said:

Matiz,

I am very  impressed with your start on Euryalus and will follow your build as she is so close to my heart.  For many years I have been lucky to be in Milano and Firenze for work several times each year, but of course now that is not possible.   If I  ever get back to Toscana, I would love to sip a grappa or two with you and discuss this great hobby of ours.   Ciao

Allan

Of course, Allan 🙂

• 7 months later...

Beautiful work, Matiz.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice progress. However, other builders have found that seasonal wood expansion and contraction can distort the hull. This can be prevented by leaving very small gaps between the fillings and frames every few frames rather than packing them all in tightly.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

The wood always moves, due to humidity, temperature, my hull is firmly at the top, med below, to reduce movement, it is better to insert the fillings in winter, or in any case when the wood has more humidity, then the temperature will rise, and the humidity will drop, small gaps will be created, and the hull will have little movement

• 3 weeks later...

Buona giornata Matiz,

She is looking beautiful.  I wish I was still traveling to your part of the world as I would love to see your model in person.  Alas,  since retiring the work trips every two or three months to Toscana (mainly Firenze and San Casciano) have come to an end.    Hopefully I will be back in the next few years and we can sip some grappa together in Pisa.   

Ciao

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hello, thank you all and thank you, Allan, I am very happy that you like my model, I know San Casciano well, a friend of mine lives there, and Florence, I worked on it, I hope you can return to Italy, of course you will be mine guest, and then we will drink not only grappa, but also good wine☺️

Ciao Matiz

If you tell me we are going to drink Brunello de Montalcino and have olive oil from San Casciano or Luca, I will try to get there next week!!!   One of my all time favorite restaurants in San Casciano is Ristorante Nello.  They had wines in their cellar that were far older than I am, a true step back in time.    Surely they are vinegar by now, but it was such a delight to see these old vintages still being cared for.    Sorry to go off the ship modeling track but this has brought back many wonderful memories.   

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Incredible workmanship that should be an inspiration to others, (including me!!!)

Allan