New to MSW, Tom from The Netherlands

Goodafternoon everyone 😀,

My name is Tom, just over 33 years young, i have a wife and 1 little girl crwaling around. I work full time as an service engineer, fixing all kind of heating systems.. and since way back a fanatic model kit builder( i love all thing with technics in it). Maybe like the most of us, started with little airplanes with some fishing wire pinned to the ceiling. After that some 1:24 trucks, and then for a good time, rc model ships, with models made such as a Smit Rotterdam, Fishing trawler Nordkap,  Ocean Tug Fairmount Alpine. For two years now im building on a rc truck scale 1:14, just for the fun of doing something different for a time.. 

For a time i have been reading about the 1:64 Victory here, and that would make a nice build..so just wait till its availeble. 

There is not much else to say i think. I hope to learn alot here and have a lot of fun reading all the nice topics!

Like we say overhere in the Netherlands.. "Nog een fijne dag" - Have a nice day 😃

Best regards Tom

Tom, Warm :sign:,

Based on your previous builds specially in the RC boats, the Victory would be a great ship. She is grand ship.

I haven't built any ship of that caliber, so when it comes to manufacturer ….. don't ask me.
I know other will pinch in and guide you.

Here's something funny for everyone, how Tom greeted at the end, Nog een fijne dag (Dutch) , ha en fin dag (Swedish) is so close.
Tom, this one is for you, Ha en fin dag!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

6 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Tom, Warm :sign:,

Based on your previous builds specially in the RC boats, the Victory would be a great ship. She is grand ship.

I haven't built any ship of that caliber, so when it comes to manufacturer ….. don't ask me.
I know other will pinch in and guide you.

Here's something funny for everyone, how Tom greeted at the end, Nog een fijne dag (Dutch) , ha en fin dag (Swedish) is so close.
Tom, this one is for you, Ha en fin dag!

Hello Nirvana, its almost a but scary so close! It sounds like a farmer would say it the same way here as you do in Sweden! Anyway... Ha en fin dag!😁😁

9 hours ago, James H said:

It's frustrating. They have all the stuff being kitted, but they are also very busy with fulfilling orders post-lockdown too.

But hey, we've waited for 7yrs, so I suppose another week or so doesn't matter.

We( model makers) have all the time.. maybe some more then others.. i'll be a good boy and stay on my front  row seat.. waiting for you to start.. just need someone to refill the popcorn in time🤪

Goedemorgen

And

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

20 hours ago, Articcie said:

We( model makers) have all the time.. maybe some more then others.. i'll be a good boy and stay on my front  row seat.. waiting for you to start.. just need someone to refill the popcorn in time🤪

Welcome to MSW, Jan.    Seems popcorn was mentioned... so... have some while you're reading logs, etc. and waiting for the model release.  nootjes_en_popcorn_31.gif.36cae07abdad8ab0b1e93adaedcaeacc.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW, looking forward to any build you do before the Victory lands on your desk

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Welcome, Tom. The Victory is a very ambitious build, but if you've already got the experience with others, by no means impossible.

I look forward to seeing your build log when you finally receive the kit.

Hi Tom, welcome.

I would suggest building a smaller model before taking on the 3 foot plus Victory, which won’t be available for a long while. I recommend taking a look at Vanguard Models Here Chris Watten offers a selection of kits made of quality materials, of great design, with exceptional instructions. It would be a great learning experience and a much more positive one than an old kit with poor instructions. Chris also designed Amati’s Victory, so that’s another plus.

Building models is great fun, and by starting a build log you also have the forum members to answer questions and offer support as you go.  Victory is the behemoth of models, but the techniques are the same as smaller models and more easily learned there. Check out Speedy or the Fifes on the Vanguard website. You won’t be disappointed.

And again welcome.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Hi Tom, welcome.

I would suggest building a smaller model before taking on the 3 foot plus Victory, which won’t be available for a long while. I recommend taking a look at Vanguard Models Here Chris Watten offers a selection of kits made of quality materials, of great design, with exceptional instructions. It would be a great learning experience and a much more positive one than an old kit with poor instructions. Chris also designed Amati’s Victory, so that’s another plus.

Building models is great fun, and by starting a build log you also have the forum members to answer questions and offer support as you go.  Victory is the behemoth of models, but the techniques are the same as smaller models and more easily learned there. Check out Speedy or the Fifes on the Vanguard website. You won’t be disappointed.

And again welcome.

Do you mean by the old kit with poor instructions,  the kit ive got from the 70's?

36 minutes ago, Articcie said:

old kit with poor instructions

Well, generally that’s true of any such kit, but here I was responding to your mention of your old kit. Among other things the wood in a kit may be quite brittle and certainly designs (how it’s put together in parts and cut wood to assemble) have improved - especially if it’s a @chris watton design. You want your first build to be a positive experience so give yourself every chance upfront. With a Vanguard model you’re doing that, in my opinion. 

Another newbie hint. Click and drag to select the particular part of a post you want to reply to (as I just did). A box with ‘quote selection’ will appear. Click on that and it will initiate a reply with just that text. Makes the flow of responses easier to follow by not repeating entire replies. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose