HMS Winchelsea by Greg M - 1/48 scale

Looking very nice Greg, congratulations on a job done well!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Fantastic planking!

I really like the subtle color variation from plank to plank in your AYC..   

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Your planking looks like a museum piece to me, Greg.  I looked back through your log and I think that posts #13-15 are critical to your success at this point.  Future Winnie builders should take note.  The time and effort you put in on aligning them is the foundation of how amazing your planking looks now.  Excellent job!

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Thanks guys for the encouragement; and everyone for the likes.  

I've really come to love the cedar and the variation of texture and color between each billet.  It seems that a couple coats of WOP and a few weeks to mellow pulls things together.

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

FinishedPhantom New York Pilot Boat

Thanks Matt.  That's really nice of you; I wish I could go back and re-plank the 1st belt again, such a learning curve.

I had to go back and look at those posts and I think if I were to do it again (especially using birch plywood), I would have gone outside and used a palm/mouse sander to pre-fair those bulkheads as much as possible before getting them on the ship.

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

Getting close to the end of Chapter 2 and I'm finding an extreme feeling of satisfaction tempered by a bit of sadness that the planking is almost done.  

First, the big oops on this belt.  Somehow missed the proper shift on both sides for the 2 planks in the belt closest to the keel.  Wasn't paying attention to my tick marks.  Regardless, they are not visible when then the ship is turned upright, so I decided not to pull them, but figured I'd call it out as it's noticeable in pictures.

IMG_4363.jpg.7f082c93ed5d75eda3ebbdb9f55adafd.jpg

I've been working my way back, sanding and applying WOP as I go.  

IMG_4379.jpg.ae94656b416c0315d82cc60d4f4d0302.jpg

By luck it worked out that the final planking at the stern is book-ended with short planks.

IMG_4380.jpg.e04acc72cd1433bd7dc3f8c35160c179.jpg

3 planks left to go on each side...I've decided to alternate, so the final plank will be the middle one.  My concern up to this point was that my stern planks weren't rising to the tick marks and I was going to need a stealer, but it looks like the final 3 planks will just squeeze in without needing to get creative. 

IMG_4384.jpg.cd3da9ff08f6edd001ec11e227b396e7.jpg

Just a few more planks to go...I'm thinking Saturday will be time to break out the Scotch.

IMG_4385.jpg.96af2bb9cbf92b2117950607cce96f32.jpg

Edited by Greg M

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

Looks good.   Dont use a stealer.  Use a wider strip.  Cut it from a 3/64” x 4” sheet if you have to.  That would ruin the look of an outstanding planking job.

Thanks Chuck and everyone for the likes.  Looks like a larger plank won't be in the cards.  I'm going to need to thin out the installed plank closer to the wales over the last couple bulkhead and off the stern.  Looks like I spent too much time worrying about nothing.

IMG_4387.jpg.d15e42d901daaf8d6680f6a7dce2ee16.jpg

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

Excellent looking planking Greg and adult beverage!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks Edward.  It feels nice to be done with the planking.  I'm especially happy to.be done with heavy sanding for a bit.

I've been sanding to 220 and applying WOP as I've worked my way back, so my next few days are going to be continuing to apply additional coats while sanding down to 320 as well as finally painting  the bottom of the wales.  Plenty of time to build a cradle as well. 

This afternoon I took a crack at the sternpost and put a pin in Chapter 2.  Looking forward to a few days cleanup and poring over chapter 3.

IMG_4398.thumb.jpg.29dfce83124c6c2678ea15a1c4107d20.jpg

Brought her out to the backyard to take some shots in the better light.

IMG_4399.thumb.jpg.66cc91bc0b60587a8cc4fe9aba3730eb.jpg

IMG_4400.thumb.jpg.65db555c450311b30fe0c118363b2dde.jpg

IMG_4401.thumb.jpg.b5086742d508f92a1b4f07e00b14491a.jpg

IMG_4402.thumb.jpg.c49b8725d06623323727003087101c72.jpg

IMG_4403.thumb.jpg.785cd801a365b40acc8e88216e8f026d.jpg

IMG_4404.thumb.jpg.4ed6bf7d83aaf1082183a398d5d7e051.jpg

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

Great job Greg!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Beautifully done Greg a sight to behold

Edited by oorsouw53

Jan van Oorsouw

current build:

HMS Winchelsea 1764 1/48

on Hold:

Triton cross section

Finished:

Speel-jaght  1662  (Kolderstok)

Sloop Mediator 1745, (plans Jeff Staudt.)

Very nice planking work. The result is magnificent !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

I'm lifting my Pepsi to you and your amazing planking job! I wish I could raise a glass of the real stuff but it would P.O my docs and my wife :) Next to Chuck's planking videos, your log will see me through. Thanks again Greg for documenting it all. Simply brilliant

Ron

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Thanks Ron.  Appreciate the kind words.  It's amazing how much easier planking became after watching those videos.  I wish I had practiced edge bending a bit more before starting below the wales.  

Edited by Greg M

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3 has officially begun.  It took awhile to get the transom lined up properly and marked out, and then about 3 tries to glue it up so everything is aligned.  They aren't very visible, but I drew some key marks in the outside, lower corners of the outermost windows that were my primary marks when I went to glue it up.  

IMG_4425.jpg.79bb517ce8b3f8f5baacf319dfe64962.jpg

I also put a tiny mark on each side of the transom where it touched the hull, plus (not visible) one underneath the transom at the center and each edge.  I made sure to glue sparingly as I (correctly) anticipated that it was probably going to take a couple tries to get all the mark lined up and clamped.

IMG_4427.jpg.eb843bfeeeff850da329252c1d7527ed.jpgIMG_4429.jpg.a06ac6182c78d9c1b862d03fb2aeb581.jpg

One thing that I'm trying to sort out is that I have a small gap between where the transom ends and the upper counter begins.  I realize there's going to be a bit of fancy molding covering this, so the least invasive fix would be to put a small filler piece in here. but not sure if that would affect the molding placement or if the best solution is to smooth out the knuckles/counter to meet the transom.  

IMG_4430.jpg.10cf5a2c5b36fad060bba521e85f4d4d.jpg

On the subject of molding, I've never scraped fancy molding before, but it seems fairly straightforward.  Is there a particular pattern that would have been used or is this a creative moment?

Edited by Greg M

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

21 hours ago, Greg M said:

On the subject of molding, I've never scraped fancy molding before, but it seems fairly straightforward.  Is there a particular pattern that would have been used or is this a creative moment?

There are some views of the moldings on the full size sheet "Winchelsea 4".  This was my first time trying to scrape moldings - let alone create custom scrapers.  So I just did the best I could to make something decent.  But they're not very close to what's on the drawing.  Read a lot of the logs because some in our group got terrific results and posted good pictures.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

My two cents on profile scrapers. I have found that, at least on boxwood, if I create a slight burr on one side of the profile it does a better job that a cleaner or back beveled edge. I tried this as that is the way I prepare my tradional scappers for woodworking. Also I have found what works for me at least is to mill sheet material to the desired width of the molding and then create the profile on the edge and rip those off the sheet.

Joe

Thanks Matt and everyone for the likes.  Funny.  I've had that plan hanging on my wall since I started Chapter 2 and I think looking at it so frequently made me completely look past those views of the moldings.

Thanks for the advice on the scrapers Joe.  Seems like a great way to create uniform thickness.

Edited by Greg M

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

• 2 years later...

It’s been 2 1/2 years since I last updated my build and I hate to say that very little progress has happened in that time; although that is soon to change

After my last post, I installed the upper counter that night and then noticed I never finished fairing the inside of the frames.  I used aircraft plywood and the material choice has come back to bite me so many times during the build.  During Chapter 2, I spent about 10 days fairing after planking above the wales and I knew that I still had another week or so of fairing work.   I felt like I had to stop and plank a belt or two before coming back and finishing the job.  Of course, I forgot to come back and finish it up before finishing Chapter 2 and beginning Chapter 3.   It was so discouraging that I still had quite a bit of fairing to do before I could work on the galleries that I rage quit, stopped coming onto the forum and before I knew it a year went by.  Last year, I attacked that final bit of fairing and had just about finished it when I got sick thinking it was the birch dust causing health problems.

I found out recently it’s not the birch dust causing problems and the motivation has finally returned. I’ve spent the past few nights poring back over my notes, reading and re-reading Chapter 3 and finally pulled out the pen sander and tuned those last few frames today.  Whew; I have finally put the fairing behind me and can get back to what is one of the most exciting Chapters of the build.

I'm hoping to be able to show some progress again by the weekend, or worst case end of the month.

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

Not a huge update today, but trying to document everything as I get the ball rolling again.

I remember being really worried about how to attack fitting the first quarter gallery piece that attaches to the transom. With multiple areas needing to be bevelled and worrying whether the cedar would split in the areas that get thinned out, I spent a lot more time thinking about it than executing on it, but I’ve had quite some time to come up with a gameplay that made it simple.  I started by putting the piece up to the transom and seeing that trimming the tab would be a good place to start.

unknown.thumb.jpg.c532708321e018f5d09474fcb6fb410e.jpg

with the piece aligned alongside the hull, it jumps out that the whole left side is going to need to be trimmed to about half the width of the lip around the window.

unknown.thumb.jpg.4929ad9ec68f98c7d1247576a15e2ca6.jpg

Once that’s been done and a slight bevel along the bottom edge to get it to lay flat, everything looks right. 

unknown.thumb.jpg.f9234684978f302a141e98480f5c5676.jpg

Rinse and repeat on the other side and test fitting the windows.  It looks like I’ll need to trim the 2nd one from the left a touch or else maybe there’s some debris in the slot causing it to be a little cockeyed, but everything fit and other than that one window, everything centered nicely.  So, back into storage with the windows for now.

unknown.thumb.jpg.87c9f078be957ce5acb071702ac87086.jpg

I need to sand and apply WOP to the upper counter along with cleaning up the 2 round ports before getting back to the quarter galleries,  but that shouldn't take very long and it’s nice to be back into the swing of things

CurrentHMS Winchelsea