HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Frank Wouts 1/48

Nice work, Frank!

Tip: As you move further down the hull you can bevel the front of each plank. This will allow you to get a tight fit against the stem rabbit, with no gaps showing. Hope that makes sense.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

3 minutes ago, Stuntflyer said:

Nice work, Frank!

Tip: As you move further down the hull you can bevel the front of each plank. This will allow you to get a tight fit against the stem rabbit, with no gaps showing. Hope that makes sense.

Mike

Shure that makes sense Mike, got it! Thanks!

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

6 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

Hola a todos, solo una pequeña actualización para que todos sepan que todavía estoy trabajando en mi Winnie...

Hice una corrección en el ancho de la capa superior de los tablones de la columna, reemplacé la fila superior porque olvidé medir el grosor exacto de las barras de los tablones de la columna 7/32 AYC. Por supuesto, son un poco más gruesos que 7/32, ya que Chuck nos da una buena relación calidad-precio.

Así que también pedí la lijadora de espesor Byrnes. El total de 5 tablones de columna ahora es exactamente 35/32, y la curva de columna que fue determinada por el listón todavía se conserva.

Mis tablones tendrán el grosor exacto que se indica en los planos a partir de ahora: ¡esto no me volverá a pasar!

Saludos, franco

764ED718-8BA4-45CB-9C5D-CFD0CA6FEC53.jpeg

99AA65FD-1DE2-455F-AA00-7D00FEF19373.jpeg

6CD05A8F-9FBC-47A1-A9AE-03BBEEA26465.jpeg

CF41DA89-DD09-48BA-A3B2-122E3ECF6F03.jpeg

Hello, great job, what red are you using, I think the Indian red is a little darker

-HMS Tritón 1/48 1773 en scracht (TERMINADO)

-HMS Winchelsea 1/35  1764 full scracht (EN PROYECTO)

notpirate.png

Thanks Chuck, Mike, Jorge and Kurt! And the likes which are always a big stimulus for me!

@Jorge Diaz O I use vermillion red Humbrol 60 , as the Red Ochre color from Admiralty is too harsh to my eyes, too much towards redbrown/purplegrey/blue. I have it and I tested it and, though perfect paints they are, I personally don’t like this red ochre. Maybe this is because in my life I have seen too many window shutters and church doors in vermillion red on our antique houses and churches in Europe from the 17th and 18th century. The vermillion will shine through nicely after I’ll wash it later on with strongly dilluted darker redbrown oil paint like burnt sienna. You’ll have  much nicer and warmer antique appearance afterwards.

But I’m not sure if I’ll go ahead with this, as the vermillion as it is now looks beautiful to me. My photos and lighting aren’t what it should be, I’m not a photographer at all. The vermillion red looks more orangish, brownish than in the pictures.

Also scaled down to 1:48 colors, should always be lighter and with little more grey tones in them than in real life. So an exact copy of the real color is wrong anyway in scale. Too dark and without the distance (waterdamp, dust in the air) grey tone effect in them.

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

I think whatever color you like is the color you should use, there is no right answer. It looks great.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

15 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

¡Gracias Chuck, Mike, Jorge y Kurt! ¡Y los likes que siempre son un gran estímulo para mí!

@Jorge Díaz O Uso rojo bermellón Humbrol 60, ya que el color Red Ochre de Admiralty es demasiado duro para mis ojos, demasiado hacia el marrón rojizo/gris púrpura/azul. Yo lo tengo y lo he probado y, aunque son pinturas perfectas, personalmente no me gusta este rojo ocre. Tal vez esto se deba a que en mi vida he visto demasiados postigos de ventanas y puertas de iglesias en rojo bermellón en nuestras casas e iglesias antiguas en Europa de los siglos XVII y XVIII. El bermellón brillará muy bien después de que lo lave más tarde con pintura al óleo marrón rojizo más oscuro fuertemente diluida como siena tostada. Tendrás una apariencia antigua mucho más agradable y cálida después.

Pero no estoy seguro de seguir adelante con esto, ya que el bermellón como está ahora me parece hermoso. Mis fotos e iluminación no son lo que deberían ser, no soy fotógrafo en absoluto. El rojo bermellón se ve más anaranjado, parduzco que en las fotos.

También reducidos a 1:48 colores, siempre deben ser más claros y con un poco más de tonos grises que en la vida real. Entonces, una copia exacta del color real es incorrecta de todos modos en escala. Demasiado oscuro y sin el efecto de tono gris de la distancia (humedad del agua, polvo en el aire) en ellos.

Thanks for answering.

-HMS Tritón 1/48 1773 en scracht (TERMINADO)

-HMS Winchelsea 1/35  1764 full scracht (EN PROYECTO)

notpirate.png

• 2 weeks later...

Small Sunday afternoon update: one side ‘planking above the wales’ finished!

Better than a jig saw puzzle, but slightly comparable in my opinion…

Took me about three weeks off and on in my loft, so next update in three weeks hopefully.

9A20569F-0CF3-4778-8D54-5F6C8CD6D9D3.jpeg

5C063F37-3CEB-48B6-8FC4-E62B659F4D36.jpeg

4948B379-90E0-400D-8CA2-1C56B7AAA5A6.jpeg

C31E3443-8130-4B9E-B52D-F0C2C2F5D820.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

53 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

That looks excellent Frank! Very well done!

Thanks Scrubbyj427!

It’s a lot of fun, also working in that yellow cedar smell and the result is so rewarding!

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Wow thanks Chunk, Glenn, Steve and Mike! Thank you all very much for such nice words. I’m a bit surprised myself everything works out better than I could have dreamed. I hope to be able to maintain this careful pace and come as far as all of you masters!

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

I also agree with everyone that is some fine planking!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks, Rusty and Dusan!

I was anxious if the bow template would fit on my Winnie, and everything seems to be allright, it seems to fit within less than half a millimeter tolerance…

I cut the portside one and turned it over by the way, the print is on the other side.

The first thing I did not oversand I guess…LOL.

6C02C315-6912-4075-9B27-7522FB9D473A.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 1 month later...

Thanks Glenn and Scrubbyj427 and the likes ofcourse!

Yes, planks and seams rather should be tight in my slow inter-long-working-hours tempo.... haha 🙂

I try to work on her every minute available in my scarse free time with very busy work and family, but still 

I'm moving rather slowly I feel.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

7 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

Thanks Glenn and Scrubbyj427 and the likes ofcourse!

Yes, planks and seams rather should be tight in my slow inter-long-working-hours tempo.... haha 🙂

I try to work on her every minute available in my scarse free time with very busy work and family, but still 

I'm moving rather slowly I feel.

I sympathize Frank... between work and family my Winnie has been reduced to a glacial pace, you will probably catch up with me soon.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship