HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Frank Wouts 1/48

On 4/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, Stuntflyer said:

Correct!

Thanks for the tip Fred and Mike. This is very much appreciated! Luckily the pictures with all bulkheads in position were taken only in a dryfit session without having read Chucks instructions yet.

The bulkheads are now glued on in the correct positions and 100% square.

I don’t even dare glueing anything on without having read Chucks instructions and checking all of your build logs again and again.

Thanks, Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

I’ve started sanding now after checking for a straight keel and ship again and square bulkheads. 

I think next update will be next weekend after fairing and sanding the bulkheads of the hull.

And after sanding the bulkheads and after more sanding and sanding...

5F609A55-C735-4938-A624-EDBE8A6CF1FF.jpeg

7B5201EF-EEAB-4A6F-BC1E-B1A2ABD8E388.jpeg

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

All the reference marks look good as well.

JJ

They do, though slight variations from those marks might occur when you set the batten. So, use the marks as a guide.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Looking fantastic Frank! Eager to see the results once you have completed fairing the bulkheads. Throughout the coming week I will be dry fitting and the glueing the bulkheads as well and will be keeping tabs here. Then comes the most dreaded process, at least for me. I have always struggled with fairing...not sure if it is improper tools or techniques. I especially struggle toward the bow and stern areas. I have time, and I have patience, so any additional advice in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Really want to get it right.

• 4 weeks later...

A small update to show I’m still committed to make progress on my Winnie and to let you all know I’m not dead or something after, what was it, 4 weeks...? I was so busy working past weeks and help my daughter study maths and history for her gymnasium exams in the weekends that it was not untill now I was able to work on the Winnie. Spring weather is finally improving in the Netherlands, so I took her outside sanding for fairing the hull.

Thank you all for the likes and tips.
Yes, I will use the laser markers only as a reference and use my critical timbermans eye when my batten is on and look to it multiple days from every possible corners (with coffee breaks and intervals ofcourse). With modeling

and also when looking at art, paintings, drawings or sculptures, I always keep in mind that every curve has a certain ‘tension’. It should not be too much, and ofcourse also not too little.  Also ugly bumps or nods in curves break that ‘tension’, so that’s something to avoid above all, no matter if the tension is too much, or too little. One often sees very skillfully build models, but with the wrong or broken ‘tension’ in the sheer, the absolute beauty is gone.

One side faired, and before evening falls, started on the other one and hoping to finnish it before 12, though I’m almost a member of the club of the lame right arm people. So maybe better to continue tomorrow evening.

I used and extra piece of wood to determine the angle at which BF-3 has to be sanded.

I took the curvature of the curved   laserparts as a guide, as my guess is that it has to be about the same curvature.

This helped me a lot, I hope this will not be in the way later?

From all your beautiful build stories it does not seem it does?

Otherwise I can still take it away carefully with my motor tool, chisel and sandpaper if necessary.

ECA01A40-FB33-42DB-BE33-7A09AA1F1A68.jpeg

183F96E8-FF0D-406E-97FD-B2C7FC7E67F7.jpeg

68374A47-4F2F-4CA1-9A32-0E3B3340B6D7.jpeg

272EE811-9603-4786-80D7-C18B4195ED86.jpeg

1B070766-B2EF-4502-B913-511676F77C32.jpeg

87C8C69D-1CE9-4B26-B444-22C7B7A5FA0F.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

On 4/25/2021 at 8:42 PM, tenderfoot said:

Looking fantastic Frank! Eager to see the results once you have completed fairing the bulkheads. Throughout the coming week I will be dry fitting and the glueing the bulkheads as well and will be keeping tabs here. Then comes the most dreaded process, at least for me. I have always struggled with fairing...not sure if it is improper tools or techniques. I especially struggle toward the bow and stern areas. I have time, and I have patience, so any additional advice in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Really want to get it right.

What kind of advice do you mean exactly?

I simply use two wooden tools from Occre and keep it flat against the surface of two or more bulkheads and start sanding. I use 80, 120 and 150 grid for this.

Also for hard to reach corners or curves, I simple fold the sanding paper and move it in the ‘layer’ or surface parallel to where the planking will come. Also for the forming of the stem at first I use a little motor tool which you can see in the pictures. As I’m getring lame enough using only muscle and sandpaper...

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

On 5/2/2021 at 5:18 PM, wyz said:

I love what I'm seeing from you Frank.  Your model is coming along nicely.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I’ll do my utmost best on this one!

Edited by FrankWouts
Utter best is not correct English my wife corrected me?

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

On 5/30/2021 at 11:07 AM, FrankWouts said:

What kind of advice do you mean exactly?

More specifically, I have struggled with getting the shape of the bow and stern correct, especially the bow as it transitions from the top of the stem down to the keel. I too use a rotary tool to take the big bits down and then move on to folded sandpaper in hand. Was just more curious is there were ways/techniques out there on getting a smooth transition, making sure the shape changes as needed, and ensuring the equilibrium between the port and starboard sides when shaping. As for the later, I don't have any tools to properly measure and tend to lean on eyesight and maybe marking a piece of paper to check one side against the other. In the end, it could very well be that it is simple practice that I need and as I have started working the bow area of the Winnie I find I am coming along better than I have in the past, so maybe practice is all that it was.

Coming along nicely Frank 👌

It's been mentioned before but those laser cut bulkheads look fantastic!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

47 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Coming along nicely Frank 👌

It's been mentioned before but those laser cut bulkheads look fantastic!

Thanks Edward, yes they definitely make our hobby life much easier and look good too.

But they make me respect everyone in this group build who saws them themselves as there are so many of them!

Though I see now on my own posted photo's I forgot to angle the last bulkheads with the portside bearding line.
They should also blend in little more fluently in the tapered area under the bearding line too I think.

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

20 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

this one will be top notch Frank i can say from now :);) enjoy the ride. 

Thanks Vladimir, I hope so and am enjoying the ride already, but don't forget, I'm just a beginner, I only started Corel's Victory 35 years ago when I was in my twenties, but never finished it as the gun ports sat 2 millimeters too low and some in front of the bulkheads... :-). The instructions were so bad and made you do things in the wrong order, that for a beginner one just got stuck. I now already see lots of things I would have done differently when buidling it now.
I will follow your build as well for sure to admire and learn!

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 2:13 PM, Stuntflyer said:

Nice work, Frank! Are the two battens at the same position, height wise, at the stem?

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks, yes they are. I now realize I should have taken a picture from the front directly as well for you to judge for that yourself...

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 12:07 PM, FrankWouts said:

Also for the forming of the stem at first I use a little motor tool which you can see in the pictures. As I’m getring lame enough using only muscle and sandpaper..

Not sure if it’s too late…when removing wood the tool sequence is rasp, file, sandpaper (if needed).   Half round rasp and files will get you into the curves.  Rasp and files can be both full size and miniature.  Here is rasp in action.  Files often provide such a smooth finish, that sandpaper is not needed.

Really good looking ship, looking forward to seeing more.

00136567-528E-43AE-88AF-220154B9A709.jpeg

Thanks for the nice words and likes you all, advice (which is never too late, as more hull filing and sanding will follow after this one!) and tips!

Here a little update where I stand now.

Slowly progressing towards the end of chapter 1.

Scary business to saw parts of the bulkheads away…

59C654E4-117D-4C11-8042-BF19EED109C4.jpeg

8E50537F-0BE8-48DD-80E2-61577016FA4B.jpeg

FA83A384-55A1-4DF2-BA8C-5E9083AC05B5.jpeg

1BDBF992-356D-4075-80BF-17ECEAFD2B69.jpeg

31C995B2-4131-411A-BBB9-FE630A070754.jpeg

89D2CD9E-6A4A-4375-8442-0362C436B2C8.jpeg

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

On 7/21/2021 at 11:37 PM, PRS said:

Hope you don't mind if I pull up a chair and follow along do you?

I like the slow methodical way you work.

Hi Paul, no ofcourse not, you're very welcome! The more the merrier and I can use some extra hawk's eyes who spot early errors!
I'm only working slow as I'm quite unexperienced, only tried to build Corel's Victory some 30-35 years ago and unfinished as there were errors in gun port placement due to poor instructions for beginners back then.

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 2 weeks later...

Small update: finished fairing the gunport framing yesterday, I’m now measuring the position and corner of the stern framing parts.
I noticed the order of the pictures is from bottom to top...don't know why this happens....
I wanted to show the first (not finished fairing) pictures with the pencil lines on the framing following the earlier faired hull, a tip I read in the build lgo of Paul (PRS). Thanks Paul!

70D4E9E0-D494-4BF8-9D49-E33F8FA85558.jpeg

6A9AF44B-5C54-4B78-9775-410A00103A8F.jpeg

A2A52C40-2F81-4EEE-BD0B-204F5A7EE68C.jpeg

BABE02BC-2F72-42E8-80C5-FC3A6EE434B2.jpeg

6904FD7F-F1D5-4517-9356-960922B9FD5E.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts
Tried to change the order of pictures, did not succeed and then wrote what the correct order is: bottom to top...

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Looking great, Frank!  I’ve had trouble getting my pictures in the order I wanted, too.  But if you edit your post, you can drag them to whatever order you prefer.  It works best on a computer rather than a tablet.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Hi Frank,

It's probably just the photo but I'm wondering how the batten looks against the framing in this area.

6A9AF44B-5C54-4B78-9775-410A00103A8F.jpeg.thumb.jpg.c3b4f354bf449aea611d96d5083754ba.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey