Hello Everyone

Andyrew

My name is Andy and I have been building models for about the last 50 years since my late Uncle got me an Airfix Spitfire when I was about 7 years old. Having built mostly plastic models I now want to concentrate on wooden models, I find wood much easier to work with than plastic and I've always been impressed by ship models especially sailing ships. I recently completed the St. Gabriel by Master Korabel which I found to be quite a challenge.

ACtC-3cPIrisSPrsorzyTkZCEl_ex73ZPOHOFbK7

Cheers Andy

Hello Andy,

That is a nice looking model. Welcome to MSW.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Good morning Andy,

My general background has also been plastic, but I've been doing wood ships since 2001 (with a break of a few years in there too), so it's nice to see someone with a similar background join here. St. Gabriel is a beautiful kit and you really did a corking job on her. 

Question is....what is next? 

Oh, and 

:sign:

Welcome aboard Andy.   Your model looks lovely and I hope you will be starting a build log on a future project.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW Andy,

Your St. Gabriel looks great! What do you think you will make next? Look into starting a build log on your next one so we can all follow along!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW, Andy.

Wow you certainly entered with a nice build.

I think we are all interested in what will come next, and please start a build log when that happens.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW from the antipodes!

That St Gabriel looks like having a very difficult hull to shape - all those tight curves!

The Occre Golden Hind looks like a good project. It makes a very attractive model. In case you haven't already worked it out, the instructions for a build log are here:

Have fun with it, and if you have any questions, the friendly members here are very helpful.

Hi Andy and welcome to Model Ship World.  You did a good job on building your St. Gabriel.  It is a very nice looking model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

8 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

That St Gabriel looks like having a very difficult hull to shape - all those tight curves!

The Hull wasn't too bad, planking is a very thin, almost like paper, wood veneer, 5 minutes soaking and it bent really easily. 

Thanks for the advice on starting a build log. I'm looking forward to building the Golden Hind, I've only built small single masted boats up 'til now.

Cheers Andy

19 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

I'm looking forward to building the Golden Hind, I've only built small single masted boats up 'til now

It's definitely a step upward, but if you take your time and some care, it's really just a matter of doing more of the same thing over and again. But of course an Elizabethan ship has its own quirks and I'd highly recommend you have a look at Backer's phenomenally researched and carried out Pelican/Golden Hind at https://modelshipworld.com/topic/14188-pelican-later-renamed-as-golden-hind-by-backer-scale-145-galleon-late-16th-century/

for the inspiration, if nothing else. But it's also chock-a-block with period detail Backer's spent tremendous time and effort finding out and shared with the rest of us.

Best wishes,

Steven

12 hours ago, Beach4ever said:

Hello everyone, this is the best forum to advance the hobby that i have seen and am delighted to join.

If you would, open your own introduction and tell us about yourself, interests in modeling, etc.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum