Bell Helicopters HTL-4 (MRC) & H-13H (Revell) 2 for 1 By Egilman - FINISHED - 1/35th scale

All the services had their own training facilities, by far the Army's were the largest though..... One big difference in approach, US Airforce, Navy, (including Marine) and Coast Guard Helicopter pilots (initially trained thru the Navy) had to be academy graduated officers and fixed wing pilots first before they could qualify for helicopter school.... Navy policy ws that helicopter training was a post graduate aeronautical occupation not open to enlisted personnel..... The Army took a different tack, Helicopter pilots could be recruits straight out of boot camp and complete initial flight training as warrant officers.... Not needing a degree.....Then there is this...

April 23, 1964–The Chief of Naval Operations broadened the opportunities for Naval Aviators to qualify as helicopter pilots by extending responsibilities for transition training to commands outside the Flight Training Command.... Two months later, the Airforce also went the same route and the Army accommodated them.... They opened up an officers training course at Ft Wolters for primary helicopter training.... Officers from other services could get their initial training along side Army officers then moving on to their respective advanced schools of helicopter training... The reason was simple, the need for butts in the seats created by the expanding Vietnam war. 

Navy and Airforce primary helicopter school is and always has been a transition training, taking fixed wing aviator officers and giving them a new skill..... Ft Wolters trained some of them, not all of them mind you, but a good share of them when existing in branch training facilities were working at capacity and unable to meet the need..... The Army had the capacity......

The first two Naval officers trained to fly helicopters were trained by Sikorsky's test pilot at their Bridgeport CT factory by their chief test pilot in 1943 flying the R4 Hoverfly.... the first Naval helicopter training facility was set up in Maryland and was primarily a research and development installation that also trained pilots....

Army usage of the Helicopter in Korea didn't start until mid '51 using H-13's... Before that the Airforce, Navy and Marines were using their WWII age H-6's not only for search and rescue but for air ambulance services...... When the Army came in big with helicopters in '51, they pretty much took over the air ambulance duties and allowed the Airforce and Navy to do the search and rescue. the Marines continued doing both services until their H-19's arrived when they started the process of heavy air transport and eventually vertical troop delivery..... Eventually, they were joined in this by the Army with their H-19's and between the two services working in tandem created the whole airmobile concept during the Korean war.... Several of their troop insertion operations during Korea were battalion level troop movements... Actions that set the the stage for what the US military was going to become ten years later in Vietnam.....

The whole history of the development and usage of the military helicopter is very fascinating, and represents one of the first truly combined arms efforts of the US military... It required all of the services to take a role and develop it to an ability to interact with all the other services in concert.....

It can be argued that the interoperability of or different military branches was a direct result of the need to get the helicopter into useful action as quickly as possible.... it definitely required inter-service cooperation....

It's a fascinating story......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

In AF fighters, both crew-members were officers, but we somewhat "beyond the pale", being a kind of rowdy bunch. Tough to get most into their blue suits. We lived in our goat bags aka flight suits. In the big jets, with both officers and enlisted in a crew, we were a little better mannered while on home station. In the air and while deployed, the ranks got blurred quickly. Non flyers couldn't fathom the comradery in us crew dogs.

Not sure where AF helo basic was in later years. I think the mission aircraft training in Search and rescue worked out of Kirtland (Albuquerque) and Hurlburt (Florida Pan Handle).

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, Canute said:

In AF fighters, both crew-members were officers, but we somewhat "beyond the pale", being a kind of rowdy bunch. Tough to get most into their blue suits. We lived in our goat bags aka flight suits. In the big jets, with both officers and enlisted in a crew, we were a little better mannered while on home station. In the air and while deployed, the ranks got blurred quickly. Non flyers couldn't fathom the comradery in us crew dogs.

Not sure where AF helo basic was in later years. I think the mission aircraft training in Search and rescue worked out of Kirtland (Albuquerque) and Hurlburt (Florida Pan Handle).

Primary flight training, (actually physically learning how to fly a helicopter for the airforce once you become flight qualified) is still done by the Army at Ft Rucker to this day...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

No one wore rank insignia during the social hours with us either.  Even the air crews state side removed them for gatherings.  Everyone was a private. LOL.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

We didn't actually remove our ranks as they were for the most part sewn on within a few weeks of being in country. MUCH  easier than pinning them on each day. Besides everyone knew what rank the other was anyway so why bother. But the actual status of rank pretty much was set aside within reason both on and off duty in the flying crews. The AC was still the AC and so forth on down but no one felt the need to lord over the others about rank. That is except for "Time-in-country  rank." Just as a Warrant AC outranked a commissioned pilot sitting in the left seat, a SP-4 in country for six or eight months outranked ANYONE commissioned or not who had just gotten off the plane. This was a kind of unwritten rule understood by everyone. While I don't know of it ever happening it is possible that any crew chief or gunner who had been in country for a while could get away with "You are full of S***............ SIR! I do know of more than  one incident where the AC cut out the radio to the rest of the crew to chew a big hole in a new pilot for doing something we all knew was stupid or poorly executed.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That's just good management to hide the Butt chewings and broadcast the well-dones.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

I'll be taking a seat in the back to watch your dual chopper builds Egilman.  I appreciate the extra effort you've taken in presenting the historical story of these craft.  I'm always amazed that these birds can actually fly when I stop and consider the remarkable physics and mechanics behind them.  Like huge metallic dragonflies.

Good luck with both.  

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Gary, those of us who flew in them or maintained them felt much the same way.  We also called them "thousands of parts flying loose formation".  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

31 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

thousands of parts flying in loose formation

There are several variations as well....

"A Helicopter is 10,000 parts flying in loose formation around an oil leak"

And another...

"Helicopters don’t fly, they beat the air around it into submission"

Amazing pieces of machinery......

Quote:

7 hours ago, FriedClams said:

I'll be taking a seat in the back to watch your dual chopper builds Egilman.  I appreciate the extra effort you've taken in presenting the historical story of these craft.  I'm always amazed that these birds can actually fly when I stop and consider the remarkable physics and mechanics behind them.  Like huge metallic dragonflies.

Good luck with both.  

Gary

Thanks Gary, I try to give some context to what I'm building, and it's the family here that really adds the great stuff.....

Welcome to the thread and feel free to add anything you like.......

Quote:

4 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Indeed they are.  It always amazed when I think about it... the rotors barely support their own weight.  They sag.  Yet, they lift the weight of a full loaded helicopter.   Yes, centrifugal force but still.....  I have to wonder what the first test pilot thought after walking around, preflighting it and moving those blades and watching them bend.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

11 minutes ago, Egilman said:

There are several variations as well....

"A Helicopter is 10,000 parts flying in loose formation around an oil leak"

And another...

"Helicopters don’t fly, they beat the air around it into submission"

As a fixed wing, fast mover flyer, that was our opinion of the rotary wing set. But boy, did we pray like heck for a Jolly Green or one of his Army/Navy/Marine cousins to swoop in to save our bacon, if we got shot down. Thanks for being around, even if I never had to use them.😁

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Re:  Post #31, Above

At least during the 1960’s the US Navy accepted officers who were not Naval Academy graduates for flight training.  I was a 1965 graduate of the University of Michigan’s NROTC program.  Like other NROTC units it produced both Reserve  (like me) and Regular Officers.  Candidates for a Regular Commission were required to make three 8 week summer Cruises. The first and third were at sea but the second was split between four weeks with the Marines and four weeks of flight training at Pensacola.  

Reserve officer candidates made one cruise, at sea. In 1962 between semesters in the middle of a Michigan Winter we were offered a trip to Florida for Aviation Orientation.  Preference was given to Reserve Officer Candidates who would not have the four week summer flight training.  They bussed us to Grosse Ile Naval Air Station and loaded us aboard an R4D, a prop driven transport that had a tail support that had to be attached when on the ground.

The climax of the week was a flight with an instructor in a basic trainer.  As much as anything I think that this was a chance for these guys to have some fun.  First, they fed us a big lunch while warning us to be careful of what we ate.  Then they took us up and did all sorts of acrobatics until we got sick.  

Upon graduation all of us, Regular and Reserve had the opportunity to apply for flight training.  Fortunately for the US Navy and national security, I instead was accepted into the navy’s Nuclear Power Program where I couldn’t hurt anybody.

And then of course there is the movie An Officer and a Gentlemen about a program to train aviators who did not graduate from either the Academy or NROTC.

Roger

I've seen the MASH kit on old model kits.......I've also see Rambo's chopper and the Airwolf chopper too!    this should be a fun project :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 7 months later...

Ah, Well, time to get back in the saddle so to speak... First step in the assembly of the H-13D is the Franklin engine..... (going to be building these simultaneously, so the H-13H Lycoming engine will be next)

Franklin O-355-5... Left Side Rear....

1114188615_oh-13g_52-07807_12_of_13(1).thumb.jpg.f424011863faf69a4cf2cd87c6f10998.jpg

Basic engine circa 1950 bluish grey in color,  vertical draft carb with carb preheat, and positive pressure balanced intake system.. Integral oil system that is actually part of the engine...

Right Side Rear...

IMG_9746-21.thumb.jpg.71f2e5aadfff2ea6aa09bc03bac533f6.jpg

Exhausts were usually left bare steel, being just a simple header pipe, but when replaced they were usually painted high-temp black... Both of these birds are museum machines, so although they do try to maintain their in-service appearance, one is outside and one is inside which give a noticeable difference in appearance....

Kit Engine..

IMG_9812.thumb.JPG.0324b28fc2d318ef33bdc54ade7aeb1b.JPG

IMG_9814.thumb.JPG.387d4d4951814ca857dbfbca794f6e1b.JPG

Ready for initial painting....

More in a bit...

Quote:

Preliminary painting done... Now on to the oil tank, fan shroud and cyclic control horn....IMG_9815.thumb.JPG.a6fcfa6f09c603c38c1ec3577e418c36.JPG

IMG_9816.thumb.JPG.ff36f2e1c575c7cc73ed2a10a45f45e2.JPG

Onwards.....

Quote:

Hey Egilman, happy new year!  Glad to see you picking this up again - very cool subject!  Nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

6 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Hey Egilman, happy new year!  Glad to see you picking this up again - very cool subject!  Nice job!

And Happy New Years to you too Brother... I never let it go, just had the world falling in on me for a while... Have decided that I need to take some time for myself if I don't I will get lost in everyone else's world...

This is a good respite... Doing something useful for a change... Going slow, plugging away, enjoying a leisurely stroll down the creation path... A relaxing journey....

Lets take a walk.... {smile}

Quote:

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Lets take a walk.... {smile}

There's many of us who are walking with you.  We may all have a specific set of reasons but it's the walk that's important.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

So good to see you back with us in our model making world  (so right we need the restbite that builds  bring us)

Happy New Year to brother.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

15 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

So good to see you back with us in our model making world  (so right we need the restbite that builds  bring us)

Happy New Year to brother.

OC.

Happy to be back doing something, thanks brother.....

Happy New Years to you as well my friend...

Quote:

One Franklin O-355-5... (17 of 18 parts of her)

IMG_9818.thumb.JPG.815956dae26e0cf019f850744f9a55f0.JPG

IMG_9820.thumb.JPG.714c25afbfc935271511f6ec3eaf89b6.JPG

IMG_9819.thumb.JPG.ae058fa31fd7da3e7da1cf8e6a9819a9.JPG

Next up, the Lycoming O-435, The H-13H engine...

DSC_0239.JPG.654008485f5fdf34546a9431e09f20a5.JPG

ID00030-6169-6-497-1950-Bell-47G2-Aircraft.thumb.jpeg.71af455ae36b2c1cb5cf8d3969f556a9.jpeg

Onwards brothers....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Looking sweet  - nicely detailed  - nice and simple design that just works  - some nice RC kits of them also  - but that's a really deep rabbit hole.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

It's not a bad kit Brother, lots of parts... the Revell kit has fewer parts but the detail scribing is much better... Currently I'm working out the colors... It seems like they were painted all different colors depending on where they were manufactured... In the top pic above a German museum machine, the engine is all grey, in the lower pic an Italian machine the engine is black, the US machines I have detail pics that show an olive drab engine with bare steel cylinders, steel exhausts, chromed intakes and rocker covers and black accessories... An operating in service machine...

Still working out how I wish to paint it...

48444084762_7ba03794b4_c.jpg.4b876f0efa19d16d1bafa219c314e2dd.jpg

Model Lycoming engine...

IMG_9822.thumb.JPG.1b548747312ce7ba8eb6387d0aa467f3.JPG

Block and cylinders on the left, oil, coolant pumps and starter on the right... 4 parts so far... {chuckle} Break out the old painting skills...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

15 hours ago, Egilman said:

Onwards bothers....

Nice work on the engines.  BTW, your freudian slip is showing.  LOL.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

11 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Nice work on the engines.  BTW, your freudian slip is showing.  LOL.

Thanks Mark...

Yeah those dropped "R"'s are a pain, thanks, fixed... {chuckle} Flyin finners strike again...

Quote:

10 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Thanks Mark...

Yeah those dropped "R"'s are a pain, thanks, fixed... {chuckle} Flyin finners strike again...

I have them also.  No worries.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Lycoming O-435, The Model engine...IMG_9823.thumb.JPG.f4448eaf02353e1ae8bb09826299b383.JPGIMG_9824.thumb.JPG.d3ac6d18f9b33541b13171abb35159ec.JPGIMG_9825.thumb.JPG.f8ac2dc5f33db171d9bc6571621ed5d9.JPG

The first seven pieces, lots of painting... That is chrome on the rocker covers, no good way to get a shot of it though... (but you can see a hint of the green reflection from the build mat)

Next up the intake & exhaust systems, all of five parts... Few parts, all painting on this one...

Onwards...

Quote:

Ok the kits Lycoming O-435 basically finished except for touch ups....

IMG_9829.thumb.JPG.898d6870ef8f753adcd52c3bba870fd9.JPGIMG_9828.thumb.JPG.4953456d7addc90129214c99bc051012.JPGIMG_9827.thumb.JPG.0d23bbafb03f9bcebb3fd1571e9c9044.JPGIMG_9826.thumb.JPG.485e273be0d3e4a555f8dbfc57686acf.JPGIMG_9827.thumb.JPG.0d23bbafb03f9bcebb3fd1571e9c9044.JPG

I added a bit more chrome to the rocker covers so they shine a bit more... Why they put chrome on a military bird I haven't a clue... But it's there... It does have a belt and pully to drive the fan, but the upper engine mount has to go on first so it will come when it's time to mount the engine... 12 of 13 parts total.....

Next step is the instrument columns...

Onwards My friends...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Caught up and following you mate.

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart