Pz.Kpfw 1 Aust F Early by King Derelict - Flyhawk 1/72

looking really good Alan........the detail on these small models is amazing :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

15 hours ago, Backer said:

Nice work Alan.

If the sprocket teeth dont fit. I usually cheat 😇 and cut some of them off.
Mostly on older models with rubber tracks as on this Airfix Centurion sprockets (link to buildlog in signature)

20210126_182936.thumb.jpg.9e6631810c1ca09b4bf7899e67aaf2b2.jpg

Thanks Patrick.

I shaved a couple of the teeth and there was then enough room in the track links to accommodate the misalignment. I need to get in the habit of checking stuff like this before reaching for the glue.

Alan

14 hours ago, Egilman said:

I've cut off sprocket teeth as well, but I hit on an easier solution, I cut off the alignment tabs or square locators and align them with a pair of machinists angles so the blade is vertical... putting a sprocket tooth against the square blade on each side of the sprocket forces the correct alignment and using two on opposite sides forces the two halves to be concentric... 

It's a bit more work, but eliminates sprocket alignment issues in all cases without cutting off teeth......

You guys do beautiful work.....

Thanks Egilman

I should have checked the dry fit and registered teh misalignment before gluing. Your solution would have then been an elegant fix. As it was I stumbled through it. I do need to learn that the kit manufacturer isn't always delivering a perfect kit. Flyhawk is so good generally that I get lulled into a false sense of security.

Alan

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

looking really good Alan........the detail on these small models is amazing :) 

Thank you for the kind comment Popeye. This is a great kit and I have enjoyed it a lot. Flyhawk put a lot of detail into a tiny tank.

Alan

The major task of the day was to complete the tracks by using the single links to bridge round the drive sprocket and the rear wheel. The detail of the single tracks is very impressive and they assemble very nicely on a flat surface. Unfortunately I found them very difficult to build up around the curvature of the wheel. The sprocket wasn't so bad because the teeth held the link in place and ensured the spacing. The rear wheel was more difficult ; the links didn't seem to like the radius and wouldn't lay up next to each other. I tried assembly a section on the bench and folding it around the wheel while the glue was soft but it still fell apart once the radius was tightened. Eventually I laid one link at a time and let the glue set before adding the next and got a reasonable result. It certainly looks better than the Airfix Churchill I built about 55 years ago. It had the elasticated tracks that you were supposed to fuse together with a hot knife blade.

The track guards were installed and the details added. I put the turret in place - its a lot safer there; with the PE grab handles there are very few places that you can hold the turret. I put a couple of very thin black washes on to bring out the wheel details and panel lines. Next is the weathering. From Patricks notes this was mainly a training asset and I can't imagine any Prussian training establishment allowing their equipment to get too squalid.

I do want to try the Mig Oilbrushers and see what i can do though.

Thanks for looking 

Alan

Look at the detail on that  - superb.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looks great from here, Alan.  I hope the weathering goes well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Today I painted the last details, the shovel and the axe and touched up a few areas that needed attention. Then the weathering!

I used the Steel paint from the Bare Metal Oilbrusher set I used very small amounts where I thought there might be significant wear. and then washed it to thin the effect.

I used the AV Vallejo Rust, Stain and Streaking set for rust. I kept it to limited areas, mostly the corners of the track guards that might have got beaten up in training. I used the darker colours to get a deep, paint chipping effect and surrounded it with the light rust colour which I washed out with a wet brush. I added a light rust wash to the wheel centres and also brushed a small amount over the bare steel effects which produced a result that I like.

I'm not sure if the decal on the hatches was necessary, the information is limited

I think this is finished. I hope you like it.

Thanks for looking and responding351854681_RIMG0145(1280x720).jpg.ee2096450d2d3e78dfe52fe7b28be17a.jpg

Alan

1502749375_RIMG0146(1280x720).jpg.863ce662c2cf3248a49117d5151b7422.jpg

430333760_RIMG0151(1280x720).jpg.2133a8f80462a7a7cccbaa0d8b4be1b9.jpg

1828143908_RIMG0149(1280x720).jpg.6895a537ada485e0f71e27b3a70a55e7.jpg

240017811_RIMG0150(1280x720).jpg.73bbcfb961707fc00c73b862e3aa393f.jpg

RIMG0147 (1280x720).jpg

RIMG0152 (1280x720).jpg

Now that does look nice  - just about perfect weathering  - you should be pleased with that mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

22 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Now that does look nice  - just about perfect weathering  - you should be pleased with that mate.

OC.

Thank you OC. I feel I didn't overdo it this time and I like the result. There is a lot to learn there.

Alan

A very nice model. Congrats 👍.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Amazing detail for a model so small, very well done....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Very nice work Alan

I know next to nothing about German tanks. All these years all I thought of was Panzers and Tigers, and here on the forum, thanks to builds like this, I am learning that they had a seemingly endless line of armored vehicles I knew nothing about.

I enjoyed following your build, thanks for sharing.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Very nice work Alan

I know next to nothing about German tanks. All these years all I thought of was Panzers and Tigers, and here on the forum, thanks to builds like this, I am learning that they had a seemingly endless line of armored vehicles I knew nothing about.

I enjoyed following your build, thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the kind comments Lou. I'm learning about the Armour world too. I hadn't realized that there were these small, two man infantry tanks armed with machine guns. I have a couple of Renault tanks that look about the same size and the Panzer II which I think is a similar size too. I am thinking of building a Tiger or similar large battle tank to provide a comparison

Its great to see the expanding range of AFVs having really only been aware of Shermans, Panthers and Tigers, T-34s and Churchills. After reading Colin Forbes Tramp in Armour" I would like to try a Matilda at some point. 

Thanks Again

Alan

25 minutes ago, king derelict said:

After reading Colin Forbes Tramp in Armour" I would like to try a Matilda at some point. 

Whatever you choose I will be looking in. They may be small but you make them interesting.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Lou; I think the Renault will be next up. It looks like I won't be subjected to individual track links this time. I need to read up a bit more as the Renault 17 spans a period 1917 - 1945 or possibly later with a wide range of operators from France through the US to Brazil

Alan

If you need info about the ft17. Just ask.

The ft17 has many possibilities.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

On 7/4/2021 at 2:30 AM, Backer said:

If you need info about the ft17. Just ask.

The ft17 has many possibilities.

Patrick

Yes please. The Flyhawk kit is quite comprehensive; it builds two complete vehicles in any of six configurations. A paint scheme is provided for all six but nowhere in the instructions have I found a clue to the six configurations or the operators of each paint scheme. The first one has a marking "Le Tigre" so maybe that is a French one. I quite like the white  / brown camouflage but have no idea who might be behind
Ïnfantaria" marking. If you are able to shed any light on any of these paint schemes it would help enormously. 

Many Thanks for your help and Interest.

Alan

Scan_0028.thumb.jpg.d7de486fee2e5dde7ebb2ac6e17bfd60.jpg

Edited by king derelict
Forgot to add image, Sorry

A first impression 

I  France WW1 western front (Le Tigre : the tiger)

II France WW1 western front

III France WW1 western front

IV Spain post WW1 in Spanish Morocco 

V France WW2 (1940) (Le champagne) in French Morocco

VI France  WW2 (1940) home land

If you build the WW2 MG version, this should have a more modern MG

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

1 hour ago, Backer said:

This is an American marked tank..... It doesn't have the playing card flash on the tail panels, The French were the only ones to put it there...

The colors and camo pattern is French as they came from the factory painted that way...

GS Patton jr in 1918 (he commanded the field portion of the Tank Corps in France) set up the marking scheme for US tanks....

This below is part of the order he circulated....

Tanks:

In addition to its registration number, any battle tank carries two brands which one can distinguish the Battalion Group

or the Group or the Company or the tank and in the Group or the Company, battery or section of tank. The brand of the Group or Company is formed by a cartridge as defined below:

Group 1 or 1st Company - circle 25 cm in diameter.

Group 2 or 2nd Company - square 25 cm in diameter.

Group 3 or 3rd Company - Triangle 25 cm in diameter.

Group 4 or 4th Company - Diamond 25 cm in diameter.

The cartridges are painted in white on each side of the tank in half of the upper rear panel.

The brand of battery or Section consists of an Ace inscribed in a circle of 15 cm, painted black in the center of the cartridge after the rule below:

Battery 1 or Section 1 - Ace of Spades

Battery 2 or Section 2 - Ace of Hearts

Battery 3 or Section 3 - Ace of Diamonds

Reserve (Section d’echelon) - Ace of Clubs

French Renault FT units were organised in : Régiment - Bataillon - Compagnie - Section

In addition, they would paint a small number next to the designation marking signifying which tank in the section it was....

So Tank #II in the sheet of schemes above is marked for the 426th tank battalion, 4th company, 3rd section, Tank #1.....

Not all American tanks were marked like this but the ones in Patton's command were...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I would have thought the IV paint was the winter one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, Backer said:

A first impression 

I  France WW1 western front (Le Tigre : the tiger)

III France WW1 western front

IV Spain post WW1 in Spanish Morocco 

V France WW2 (1940) (Le champagne) in French Morocco

VI France  WW2 (1940) home land

If you build the WW2 MG version, this should have a more modern MG

Thanks Patrick

That is hugely helpful. I had been thinking Spain for #4 but the paint scheme doesn't look very desert but I suppose Spanish Morocco was also the coast and some of the Rif mountains as well as Western Sahara, I still like the paint scheme so this will be one of teh two builds.

Thanks again Patrick

Alan

5 hours ago, Egilman said:

This is an American marked tank..... It doesn't have the playing card flash on the tail panels, The French were the only ones to put it there...

The colors and camo pattern is French as they came from the factory painted that way...

GS Patton jr in 1918 (he commanded the field portion of the Tank Corps in France) set up the marking scheme for US tanks....

This below is part of the order he circulated....

Tanks:

In addition to its registration number, any battle tank carries two brands which one can distinguish the Battalion Group

or the Group or the Company or the tank and in the Group or the Company, battery or section of tank. The brand of the Group or Company is formed by a cartridge as defined below:

Group 1 or 1st Company - circle 25 cm in diameter.

Group 2 or 2nd Company - square 25 cm in diameter.

Group 3 or 3rd Company - Triangle 25 cm in diameter.

Group 4 or 4th Company - Diamond 25 cm in diameter.

The cartridges are painted in white on each side of the tank in half of the upper rear panel.

The brand of battery or Section consists of an Ace inscribed in a circle of 15 cm, painted black in the center of the cartridge after the rule below:

Battery 1 or Section 1 - Ace of Spades

Battery 2 or Section 2 - Ace of Hearts

Battery 3 or Section 3 - Ace of Diamonds

Reserve (Section d’echelon) - Ace of Clubs

French Renault FT units were organised in : Régiment - Bataillon - Compagnie - Section

In addition, they would paint a small number next to the designation marking signifying which tank in the section it was....

So Tank #II in the sheet of schemes above is marked for the 426th tank battalion, 4th company, 3rd section, Tank #1.....

Not all American tanks were marked like this but the ones in Patton's command were...

Many Thanks Egilman. That is some very detailed research and I value it a lot. I learned a lot as well now having an identity for the tank. Its a great help

Thanks again

Alan